Cereal?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Pageturner
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstxmommy View Post
See, Morgan P, that's why I posted this thread and thanks for your input. I'm sure the lady in the Dr's office is among many women who give their baby cereal. I'm a new mom. For us, sometimes you don't know what's right and what's wrong. I'm sure if I ask my mom, 38 years ago, she gave me cereal.
Thank you for the kind words :-) Different things work for different people and there is no one person who knows whats best for every mom.
firstxmommy likes this.
October 5th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Wow..very very early for a solid food! I'm skipping cereal all together this time. Both of my kids started on cereal and all it did was constipate them. I started my kids on cereal and a bit early because that's what my "mom" did...won't be taking her advice again on anything to do with infants.
I am going to be trying avocado, bananas, and sweet potatoes for this baby's first foods..so many vitamins, minerals, and good fats.

October 5th, 2012, 03:14 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
This is an interesting thread; love reading all the varying opinions!
I honestly haven't really figured out what we will do after the initial 6 months. I think I will be making some fresh, pureed foods as well as baby led weaning, like what Erin said, with bananas and avocados etc. I'm not a huge fan of cereal because it seems like it's just "filler" to me but I also haven't researched the topic as much as I'd like to...

Firstxmommy, a question though... In one of your first posts you said that you were thinking that people also used to lay babies on their back but don't anymore... I thought that's how they are supposed to sleep?!

October 5th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Super Mommy
Yikes, typo Nina! Meant, we used to lay babies on their tummies. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan P View Post
Thank you for the kind words :-) Different things work for different people and there is no one person who knows whats best for every mom.
I tend to agree. It's so tough deciding what to do! In some many areas. Overall, each of us has to do what we think is best. All the varying opinions just make it harder. The lady I talked to earlier did irritate me, not at all because she fed a 3 week old cereal. I haven't read/heard enough to determine if that's negligent. What was irritating is how adamant she was about not listening to anything Dr's say. That's what made her seem a little "different."

October 5th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That is crazy. i know Rylynn was bottlefed and they had me add cereal to her formula to help with reflux. I didn't really like doing it so I stopped and bought the formula with AR. I would never try to feed my 3 week old cereal. All of mine started at 4 months.
Pageturner likes this.

October 5th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
We tried to start my daughter on solids at 6 months and she still wasn't ready. Her "tongue thrust reflex" still hadn't disappeared for one, and she just wasn't interested. I wonder how you would even.get cereal into a 3 week old who has no neck control anyway, besides a bottle...can we say choking hazard! Either way. Yikes. Even a few weeks can make a difference, we tried again with DD at a little over 7 months and she did better. Baby will let you know when they're ready, and not sleeping all night isn't a readiness sign lol. It does change with the times though I'll agree. My mother was having a cow starting at about 3 months when I wasn't giving her cereal and also got ticked when I started her out with veggies instead of cereal..lol oh well! Times change, more studies and info become available etc. Like others said, what works for one might be frowned upon in the eyes of another, and vice versa.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/31/15!

October 5th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
One of the nurses that was helping me today while I was waiting to do the turning.... she said she placed little bits of cereal in the milk and it helps. It just depends how you do it, honestly.

October 7th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Super Mommy
Zukin,

Did she say the cereal helps them sleep?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search