Please help me! Had my baby girl!

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By *treefrog*
  • 1 Post By Jinnah
  • 2 Post By bostoncreampie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2012, 01:53 PM
JuneBugsMom's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi Ladies, I know I've barely posted here, but I need HELP BADLY with breastfeeding... Being in the Army didn't give me much time to do anything and once I was off work, I was on the couch passed out. But I'm out now and just a air force wifey now, so I have a lot more time! Anyways here is some info so you know whats going on.

I had a pretty complicated pregnancy. High BP. Was getting the progesterone shots in my butt which suck but had to get since my water broke with my oldest DD at 35 weeks. My BP was mostly 130-90 but shot up a few times and I had to be admitted, but let go once it went down.. Well I went in at 35 weeks to get my shot and they checked my bp and it was 174/95 so i was admitted. I thought i would be just watched and let go again. Wrong! I was put into a delivery room right away and told me they were gonna induce. I freaked out, My husband was at work, We didn't finish her room yet( just moved). The hospital bags weren't even packed. I was so unprepared!!!! Anyways, they put me on mag to stop me from having seizures, put in a catheter, and a folly. I had to have a catheter because mag made me a fall risk which ment i couldn't labor in the tub or on the ball. So my whole birth plan went out the window. Well the folly wasn't getting contractions started so they put me on pit. I was on pit for 12 hours before I just couldn't handle it anymore. and finally after being a emotional crazy person and my husband told me that asking for a epi didn't make me a weak person I asked for a epi. It was 3 hours after that they checked me and I was ten! The doctor came in before they started setting up to see how well I pushed and yelled "STOP" since she was right there. They set up and with one push she was out! My other DD I pushed for 3 hours so i was shocked.
Clara Grace was born Sep 22nd at 0831 HST. she was 5lbs 15oz(35weeks 2days) 19inches long. They took her to a warming bed right away but never out of my room. She scored a 9 on the APGAR, so they put her on my breast about 20 mins after birth. She latched right away. so everything was going prefect. But at about 24 hours she developed jaundice and they told me i had to supplement since my milk wasn't in which made me mad but I knew i had to put her before breastfeeding. The nurse had me finger feed her. She had to be under the lights for 12 hours and at the 72 hour mark we went home. The doctor told me to keep counting her ML and just supplement with my breast milk until her 2 week mark. We just had her 2 week appointment and everything came back fine so now i'm trying to get her back on the breast and shes just too tired? She gives about 4-5 sucks and stops for a few mins. I don't know if its because shes not getting anything or too much? When i pump i get about 150-200ml and she only takes 60ml at most right now so i have a lot of oversupply. I have over 200oz in my freezer lol! But I am using the nipple shields since she won't latch onto just me now and we have tried Dr browns preemie bottles for supplementing afterwards since finger was way to easy for her. Someone Help me please! i just want to get her back on the breast without supplementing and now that her weight gain is good and jaundice is gone i can try again.

Sorry for the essay, and lots of typos. had to type this fast before her next feeding.

Also congrats to all the ladies that have had their babies. They are beautiful!

here are some pics of her.
Right after she was born

So inlove

Newborn pics

Loved this beanie and pearls from etsy

My DH and I(Yes I gained 60 pounds ><!lol)

It's a Girl!!!

October 7th, 2012, 02:18 PM
kaylarayne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't really have many words of advice to help you with but I am sorry you are having such a rough time with the breast feeding. I just had to comment and tell you what a BEAUITFUL baby you have! She is gorgeous and MANY congrats to you

Good luck with the breast feeding. Breast feeding alone can be a challenge and then throw all that you and her have been through in to the loop and make it even that more complicated. I wish you nothing but good luck!
October 7th, 2012, 03:00 PM
*treefrog*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey there Lurking from the Dec DDC, hope you don't mind if I chime in. I am not an expert by any means, but I have breast fed my 3 girls exclusively. First off, your baby is beautiful!
Ok, on to the advice: I've always heard that it is much harder work for babies to breast feed than to bottle feed, so she is probably like "What the heck? This isn't supposed to be this hard"...lol! She will adjust...just give her a little time and don't give up! Try to relax and not get so stressed when she doesn't want to feed for you. (easier said than done, I know) Since her weight and jaundice are fine I would only breast feed her for a while...you may not be getting much sleep initially, because she may not be filling up all the way before she falls asleep on you. Soooo...you may be breastfeeding around the clock for a while. hmmmm...fun, right?
With regards to not being sure if she is not getting enough or getting too much...I would say based off how much you are pumping, the milk is available if she wants it. With only 4-5 sucks, she is obviously not filling up. But if she realized this is her only option, eventually she will start taking more before falling asleep.
Bottle feeding gives you such peace of mind because you know how much they are taking in at all times, and breastfeeding you never know. Give her sometime to adjust.
So that is my two cents....try to relax as much as you can and know breastfeeding you will never exactly know how much she is getting. And also, try to ONLY breastfeed so she can acclimate to the change. Oh...one more thing...If you are worried she isn't getting anything, you can start pumping before feeding her so let down occurs and then latch her on the breast.
Hopefully, another mama/expert will chime in with some more advice...I just wanted to post so you had some advice
Good luck!
Ok and last thing...I promise
Here is a link to the Le Leche League groups in Hawaii (I am assuming that is where you are based off your title). Someone there will be able to help you!!!
LeLecheLeagueinHawaii
Ember Rose and JillMama like this.

Our family is complete

October 7th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Peytonsmomma
One thing i do is they do get tired, but with my index finger i shake my boob so it stimulates in there mouth, keep offering your breast any chance you can !
October 7th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice. I will sometimes squeeze or massage to show her it is a milk source but shes very patient ER. She will just let it sit in her mouth mostly. Then after trying to breastfeeding for about 20-30 mins i quit because i freak out about her weight and supplement with 60ml pumped breastmilk. She went down to 5lb 4oz but is now back up to 5lb 14oz but i am still afraid shes gonna drop again. I didn't know it was better to pump before and not after. I've been thinking about 10 mins on each side(traditional hold) bottle feeding 60ml or as much as she wants. Sometimes she grows tired on the bottle too and falls asleep. and she just recently started letting us know shes hungry instead of us waking her up. I even have tried to let her get fussy so she is awake but the baby never crys. she just moans and groans ><

Thanks again, any help is amazing and thanks for the website. i am station in hawaii so ill look that up now

It's a Girl!!!

October 7th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Veteran
I agree with Treefrog, stop with the bottle feeding for awhile. She knows she'll get it the easy way if she just holds out! Stick with it, it usually takes about 4-6 weeks to really get the hang of it!
October 7th, 2012, 03:54 PM
JillN31's Avatar Veteran
My kids were both born full-term but were also very sleepy and would clunk out after a few minutes of nursing. I would keep a cold wash cloth nearby and wipe it over their forehead to wake them up and keep them nursing. A nurse told me to try undressing them a bit as well to keep them more alert. Good luck!

Brady James, Sullivan Thomas, and our newest addition Colin Robert born 10/10/12.
October 7th, 2012, 04:05 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other girls about the bottle, in the class I took they said that babies can become lazy breast feeders if they know they can get a bottle and the milk will come out faster than boob... I'm a FTM and still pregnant, do my advice does NOT come from experience, just what I learned in class.

Good luck!!

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
October 7th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Jinnah
My first got jaundice and they told me to just breastfeed more often. I was never told to supplement and he wound up not having to go under the lights. Why did they give you the advice to supplement? Supplementing is usually the downfall of breastfeeding.
summithorse likes this.
October 7th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have no advice, but good luck. your LO is adorable!

October 7th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnah View Post
My first got jaundice and they told me to just breastfeed more often. I was never told to supplement and he wound up not having to go under the lights. Why did they give you the advice to supplement? Supplementing is usually the downfall of breastfeeding.
I think they told me to so they didn't have to worry about her getting enough. At 24 hours they checked her bilirubin levels and they were up but not at med/high risk but since she was a preemie any jaundice is more of a threat they said. They also said it will probably raise more and told me to supplement to keep her out of the lights. I had a feeling the doctor preferred formula feeding since it helps bilirubin levels drop faster. But i told her that i will supplement with that until my breastmilk comes in and then supplement with that. She told me to keep counting her ml because they had to make sure she was eating atleast 20-30ml every 2 hours. at 36 hours it went up so she went under lights and at 48 she came back out since it was the same and did not go up.....We were released a day after that but had doc appointments every other day for the next two weeks to check levels and weight. and pretty much hinted to stay away from breastfeeding since i couldn't count MLs.

I think mostly it was just rush, and they wanted a perfect schedule on paper. it was a military hospital. I never saw the same doctor so every doctor had a different take on it. her pedi said he wants to still know her mls since shes small. I just feel like medically they dont want her to be breastfed because they hinted twice saying its not the healthiest thing for preemies.

1 that breastfed babies have higher jaundice from breastmilk and 2 you can't count MLs.

Currently they are just focusing on her weight gain. Hope that made sense

Typos again sorry!

It's a Girl!!!

Last edited by JuneBugsMom; October 7th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
October 7th, 2012, 05:10 PM
revolutionarygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
so precious!
October 7th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBugsMom View Post
I think they told me to so they didn't have to worry about her getting enough. At 24 hours they checked her bilirubin levels and they were up but not at med/high risk but since she was a preemie any jaundice is more of a threat they said. They also said it will probably raise more and told me to supplement to keep her out of the lights. I had a feeling the doctor preferred formula feeding since it helps bilirubin levels drop faster. But i told her that i will supplement with that until my breastmilk comes in and then supplement with that. She told me to keep counting her ml because they had to make sure she was eating atleast 20-30ml every 2 hours. at 36 hours it went up so she went under lights and at 48 she came back out since it was the same and did not go up.....We were released a day after that but had doc appointments every other day for the next two weeks to check levels and weight. and pretty much hinted to stay away from breastfeeding since i couldn't count MLs.

I think mostly it was just rush, and they wanted a perfect schedule on paper. it was a military hospital. I never saw the same doctor so every doctor had a different take on it. her pedi said he wants to still know her mls since shes small. I just feel like medically they dont want her to be breastfed because they hinted twice saying its not the healthiest thing for preemies.

1 that breastfed babies have higher jaundice from breastmilk and 2 you can't count MLs.

Currently they are just focusing on her weight gain. Hope that made sense

Typos again sorry!
That's so interesting that different doctors give completely different advice. My second was a preemie (36 weeks, so borderline) and I was encouraged to breastfeed, so I don't know what a doctor would think formula is better for preemies. I guess they are just people and have their own beliefs, you know?

I think you should breastfeed as much as possible to help build your supply... around the clock if you have to. The more you feed, the more milk you get. A good resource would be the La Leche League. They have a lot of information and it should help. They have great advice, and you can probably even find recommendations for jaundice.

I had a guidebook to successfully breastfeed that was really helpful. I'll see if I can find it, so I can get the correct title and author so you can find one if you like.
October 7th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Jinnah
Here is a good website you might want to look at: Breastfeeding and Jaundice : American Pregnancy Association

I feel so bad that you are having issues. I know it's difficult to breastfeed... I had issues, myself, and eventually I saw a lactation consultant. With my third, I got thrush and it was terrible, but I did a lot of research and the problem was eventually solved.

Good luck! Just keep trying!
October 7th, 2012, 06:01 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Aw, congrats. What a beauty. My advice is that you need to see a professional lactation consultant asap. Your baby needs to be evaluated in person. I think you also need to touch base with your local Le Leche League chapter ASAP. Your local chapter leaders should be available 24 hrs, give them a call soon and they can get you on your way to figuring this all out.
Ember Rose and Jinnah like this.

Last edited by bostoncreampie; October 7th, 2012 at 06:11 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search