Breastfeeding mamas

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 1 Post By marybethsmom
  • 1 Post By doremi
  • 1 Post By ellinj0206

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
ellinj0206's Avatar Mom to Alexandra Jane
Send a message via Skype™ to ellinj0206
Hello all,

My initial plan was to feed Alexandra breast milk only. At the hospital they were very concerned that she wasn't eating and we ended up starting to feed her formula. It was kind of a desperate move.

Long story short I have been feeding her formula with breast feeding. I'm not producing tons of milk yet and I honestly can't figure out how to get her to latch without major drama. She gets very frustrated as she attempts to latch to my left breast (it eventually happens) and we have yet to figure out how to get her to latch to my right. I just can't figure out a good position!

Is anyone else providing both breast milk and formula? Also if anyone did have latching issues, how did you resolve them?

Thanks for any insight!
El

October 23rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This sounds like my exact situation with Riley. We were having trouble latching at the hospital, plus he was spitting up a lot of mucus and wasn't very interested in eating. I was encouraged to supplement formula and did. I ended up needing a nipple shield to help him latch, which we used for the first three months and then were able to wean off.
Are you able to get in touch with a lactation consultant to give you tips on the latching situation? When first helping my babies learn to latch I would squeeze my breast just behind the aerola and when they open wide while rooting around, put as much of my breast as I could in their mouths. It can be difficult at first and very frustrating, but don't give up. Hang in there, mama! You can do it, but it can be hard to get things going.
October 23rd, 2012, 05:18 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Jamison has latching issues, and the nipple shield has been helpful for us. Have you tried one? You might also try pumping a tiny bit prior to latching baby on, so that when they do latch, they get immediate reward of let-down. Good luck!!!

October 23rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Ugh, it makes me frustrated that they convinced you to give her formula. There was probably not sufficient reason for it as newborns hardly need anything to eat, and now you are struggling. Starting formula in the hospital is the worst thing you can do to a breastfeeding relationship, and it's not in any way your fault. It just sounds like you didn't get the kind of support you should have.

I would personally try and get off the formula as aggressively as you can. It;s going to be very hard to get your supply up if you keep supplementing, but you are in the beginning enough now that you should be able to work it out if you try hard enough. I think all the issues you are having are the first red flags for tongue tie. I would look over http://kellymom.com/health/baby-heal...elp-tonguetie/ and see if it sounds like a possibility. I would get in touch with a certified lactation consultant ASAP and have her latch looked at personally.

HAve you tried the nipple shield? Also, sometimes compressing the breast can help getting a good latch, you can do a C or a U to get more in the mouth when she opens up wide. Don't try and latch until her mouth is open really wide. Keep brushing her lips until she opens wide enough. Its super stressful when baby is hungry and you are all hormonal and frustrated, but it's important and helps to practice.

I would also suggest using a really breastfeeding friendly bottle like Adiri or the first years Breastflow bottles. I can't say I've seen any others that are breastfeeding friendly.

I really hope you figure it out soon!
October 23rd, 2012, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had that exact same situation with my older dd, and the latch issues as well with this one. She is screaming and slinging her head around. This is one thing I have found helps this time. Take your clean pinky and put it in babys mouth. Allow him to suck just long enough to calm down the hysterics. Then take pinky out, squeeze breast into u-shape and insert when baby opens mouth wide. It had helped us tremendously. Good luck, don't give up mama!
abur likes this.

October 23rd, 2012, 05:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
Ugh, it makes me frustrated that they convinced you to give her formula. There was probably not sufficient reason for it as newborns hardly need anything to eat, and now you are struggling. Starting formula in the hospital is the worst thing you can do to a breastfeeding relationship, and it's not in any way your fault. It just sounds like you didn't get the kind of support you should have.
^ Ditto. I do think starting formula with Riley had a negative impact on our BFing relationship and lead to a lot of the problems we had later on. I was a first time Mom, worried my baby wasn't getting enough to eat from me and of course wanted to do the right thing - which the hospital told me was to supplement with formula.
October 24th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm having the same issue. At first Kathy Marie would latch on my left, suckle a little and then get frustrated and stop. She would do this BEFORE we introduced the bottle-feeding. However now she's strictly bottle feeding as I cannot get her to latch at all. I guess it's not that bad, but it sucks when I have to pump every 2 hours I'm barely making milk as it is, I may have to go straight to formula feeding soon, but that's okay. As long as I know she's getting her nutrients, then I'm happy.

October 24th, 2012, 11:38 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Zukin, do you have a hospital grade pump? If you are exclusively pumping, I would highly recommend looking into getting one. There is no comparison to the hospital grade pump in terms of how much milk you can pump out. Check your insurance to see if they cover the rental, many do.
JillMama likes this.

October 25th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Ok, so we've perfected the latch to my left breast...hoorayyyyyy, but I still can't figure out a good latch angle for my right. I'm a lefty, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I've been pumping to make sure both breasts get equal use. Only had a few tablespoons come out when I pump, but it's something! I'm trying!!

I think I need to make sure I am drinking LOTS of water, which I understand has a direct positive correlation to milk production.

We're getting there!!

El
JillN31 likes this.

October 25th, 2012, 11:54 AM
lovely.carlie's Avatar MaKinslie's Mommy
Oatmeal has helped with my supply and I am in a situation similar to yours. They gave her one bottle in the hospital and our bf has never been the same. So I pumped and drank lots of water and ate a small bowl of oatmeal each day. Now she drinks 2-3 oz of formula a day but we are good with breast feeding other than I cannot keep her awake longer than 10 minutes. GL I hope things work out for you bf'ing wise.

October 26th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had problems latching Savina, plus I didn't get much colostrum. I got so frustrated, I tried everything. Pumping, hand extracting, cup feeding. I actually cried because I was so frustrated, I couldn't feed my baby. My nipples were mega sore and I couldn't even pump anymore because it hurt so bloody bad. Finally, with the help of the lactation consultant, we figured out that the roof of her mouth is too high and my nipple too short for her to get the sucking reflex going properly. We used nipple shields and now she feeds like a lion.

(the LC actually said to me we might have to substitute with formula. I was devastated. So I was mega thankful when she brought the nipple shields and they actually helped!)

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches

Last edited by Lav; October 26th, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
October 26th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I've also started eating oatmeal. I'm hoping that this ends of working out and I can breastfeed little Alexandra, exclusively. I'm not giving up!!

October 26th, 2012, 07:30 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad she's doing better now!!! Have you tried Mothers Milk tea or monster cookies too??? I have them both daily =)

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
October 26th, 2012, 07:40 PM
SabrinaH's Avatar Pregnant with #1!
I swear by Fenugreek! It has helped increase my supply tremendously.

October 27th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Sabrina, goin to get some Fenugreek at the Vitamin Shoppe today. Want to throw everything can at this!!

El

October 27th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Small victory today---I finally got her to latch to my right breast. Sounds lame, but I was really happy about it!

I've been pumping and drinking mothers milk tea, too.

Yay!
El

October 27th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Veteran
Also drink 3-5 cups of Mother's Milk Tea each day, it will really help with milk production. If that's not enough, you can supplement with fenugreek in pill form as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search