Abur

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 4 Post By ShawnaCAN
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 2 Post By abur
  • 1 Post By abur
  • 1 Post By Peytonsmomma
  • 1 Post By Ember Rose
  • 1 Post By doremi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I have a question. How did you make the transition from EBF to exclusively pumping??? Did you have a stash to start out with? How did Hannah adjust? I was thinking I may want to do this because I can't even hold Jonah without him trying to scoot down towards my boobs to nurse. Whenever I hold him that's all he wants to do. I would like to cuddle with him while not nursing..you know?

October 26th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Raylee was just like that. If I held her she thought she needed boob. it sucked. Thankfully Reed is not like that. Good luck pumping.

October 26th, 2012, 10:37 AM
It does suck! Everyone gets to hold him and cuddle with him but me! I tried putting him in his carrier the other day and he was miserable because he couldn't get to my boobs..he was rooting all over the place. He didn't understand as to why I was covered up with a shirt.

October 26th, 2012, 10:52 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just be cautioned that if you plan to exclusively pump, that doesn't always provide adequate stimulation to keep your supply going for a long period of time. The mechanical stimulation doesn't send the same signals to your body as the baby's suckling does. Every woman is different, some do fine with it - but there is a higher chance overall that you'll dry up sooner rather than later with exclusive pumping compared to nursing.

I had to pump exclusively with #4 because he wouldn't latch, but 8 weeks was as far as I got. I would have loved to give him breast milk as long as possible, but the pumping just wasn't enough to keep my supply going.
October 26th, 2012, 10:55 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Exclusively pumping is hard work!

Have you tried a pacifier?
Summerdays12 likes this.
October 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It IS very hard work! I didn't really have a stash, maybe just a few oz in the fridge, but I started by nursing Hannah, then pumping while she napped. I continued nursing for a few days while I built up a stash (I pumped on the lowest setting so I didn't kill my nips further) and have exclusively pumped ever since (using a higher setting). I pump in place of nursing (every 2-3 hours) and keep up with the skin to skin contact while feeding her. I usually pump 2 oz each breast per pumping session, but I sometimes make double that in a session. I just eat and drink a ton before and while pumping lol

Hannah has adjusted well and seems a lot happier now. I was truly having a really difficult time nursing her because of how painful it was and absolutely DREADED her rooting around Doesn't make for a happy mommy! If my supply does start to drop, I will see a lactation consultant and see what I can do, but I've always been a good milk producer. For now, I'll keep building up my stash and hopefully get enough to start freezing!!!
Peytonsmomma and Summerdays12 like this.
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

October 26th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
Exclusively pumping is hard work!

Have you tried a pacifier?
Yes, he likes the soothie brand but he could live with or without it. He spits it out most of the time unless someone is holding it there for him. He usually really likes it only if we are in the car or out and about.

October 26th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abur View Post
It IS very hard work! I didn't really have a stash, maybe just a few oz in the fridge, but I started by nursing Hannah, then pumping while she napped. I continued nursing for a few days while I built up a stash (I pumped on the lowest setting so I didn't kill my nips further) and have exclusively pumped ever since (using a higher setting). I pump in place of nursing (every 2-3 hours) and keep up with the skin to skin contact while feeding her. I usually pump 2 oz each breast per pumping session, but I sometimes make double that in a session. I just eat and drink a ton before and while pumping lol

Hannah has adjusted well and seems a lot happier now. I was truly having a really difficult time nursing her because of how painful it was and absolutely DREADED her rooting around Doesn't make for a happy mommy! If my supply does start to drop, I will see a lactation consultant and see what I can do, but I've always been a good milk producer. For now, I'll keep building up my stash and hopefully get enough to start freezing!!!
You get a lot of milk when you pump! I only get about an ounce when I pump. I've tried in the morning, before a feeding, after a feeding, in between a feeding, and skipped a feeding (gave him expressed milk in a bottle) and pumped instead. I usually only get 1 ounce. I have a LC coming on Monday for a home visit to help me out. I just can't tell if I have a supply issue or not. I know the baby gets more when nursing than what I actually get when I pump so that makes me feel better.

October 26th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I do notice my supply goes down when I haven't eaten enough in a day - are you taking in enough calories?? What pump are you using, and what setting is it on? Lol I could probably ask a million more questions, but I won't! Anyway, I hope the LC helps you out!!!

October 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abur View Post
I do notice my supply goes down when I haven't eaten enough in a day - are you taking in enough calories?? What pump are you using, and what setting is it on? Lol I could probably ask a million more questions, but I won't! Anyway, I hope the LC helps you out!!!
I'm for sure not getting enough calories. There is no time to eat enough. I try to do a lot of protein as I know I don't eat enough. I have the Medela Pump in Style Advance double electric and I pump on the highest setting..I've tried low, middle, high, in between all of that too. I drink Mother's Milk tea like it's water and I eat oatmeal every single day. I just feel like there is a problem but I just don't know what it is. Looking forward to Monday

October 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I know what you mean by no time to eat!!! I hope you get some good advice! With that pump and on the highest setting, it seems like you'd be getting a lot more milk out! How frustrating
Summerdays12 likes this.

October 26th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Peytonsmomma
i have the same pump the medela advanced and i pump my left side on the highest setting i get about 2-3 oz every time i pump, i noticed when i had a stressful day i got less, i almost tempted just to fully pump bc it is becoming such a hassle to get him on, the LC consultant said he had a awesome latch he just fights it
Summerdays12 likes this.
October 26th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you like protein bars? Or smoothies? Those might be quick options for you. The smoothies seem like they'd be fast if you had someone make little pouches of frozen fruit for you ahead of time. I like juice, frozen fruit, and yogurt in a blender and boom it's quick. Kept me going a lot in high school. I'm having my baby in March but once it warms up I'm looking to drink smoothies a lot.

If you've got people offering to help don't hesitate to ask for the kind of help you need like meal prep instead of them holding the baby because that's what they want to do. I hope the LC is helpful on Monday!
abur likes this.
October 26th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember Rose View Post
Do you like protein bars? Or smoothies? Those might be quick options for you. The smoothies seem like they'd be fast if you had someone make little pouches of frozen fruit for you ahead of time. I like juice, frozen fruit, and yogurt in a blender and boom it's quick. Kept me going a lot in high school. I'm having my baby in March but once it warms up I'm looking to drink smoothies a lot.

If you've got people offering to help don't hesitate to ask for the kind of help you need like meal prep instead of them holding the baby because that's what they want to do. I hope the LC is helpful on Monday!
I love smoothies and that's what I do to get my protein in. I have been drinking them since I found out I was pregnant!

October 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I would encourage anyone who is going to exclusively pump to look into renting a hospital grade pump. No other pumps compare. And I would not choose to exclusively pump unless I was okay with the possibility of not making it to a year EBF-ing, and I had tried everything else first to make bf-ing successful. It can work for some, but it sets many Mom's up for failure when they try to exclusively pump.
Ember Rose likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search