Post-partum exercise

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JillN31

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2012, 12:06 PM
JillN31's Avatar Veteran
When did your doc/midwife say you can resume exercise?

I asked my nurse at the hospital when I could start running again and I swear she told me two weeks. So I started running again this week and all of my friends and family are making this huge deal out of it, like I shouldn't be running yet. I ran right up until my due date so I feel totally fine, not out of shape at all and it feels good to run. I had tapered off my mileage at the end of pregnancy so I'm starting basically where I left off and trying to build back up. My friends (that have had babies) are acting like I shouldn't be running yet so I'm wondering if in my post-partum haze, I misunderstood what the nurse said.

Anybody else resume exercise yet?

Brady James, Sullivan Thomas, and our newest addition Colin Robert born 10/10/12.
October 26th, 2012, 12:19 PM
marinewife01's Avatar Super Mommy
My dr told me I could resume walking as soon as I wanted, just to take it slow.

Kaela-11 Ben-6 Avrey-8 months

October 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM
delaney24's Avatar Super Mommy
My doctor said whenever I felt like I could. I started exercising about 5 days PP and have done every day since (am 3 weeks PP now). As long as you are not exhausting yourself, are eating enough & staying hydrated, don't notice an increase in bleeding, etc, I'd say you're fine!
October 26th, 2012, 12:30 PM
JillN31's Avatar Veteran
Thanks ladies, I feel better now. I had an uncomplicated vaginal delivery with no tearing/stitches and my post-partum bleeding is pretty much done already. I feel great and it feels absolutely wonderful to be able to run under a ten minute mile again
marinewife01 likes this.

Brady James, Sullivan Thomas, and our newest addition Colin Robert born 10/10/12.
October 26th, 2012, 01:27 PM
zubeldia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My midwife said the standard 6 weeks but with DS1 I was back at the gym after a week and felt absolutely fine. I was on bed rest for much of the last trimester so I'm going to be taking it more slowly this time, and frankly I'm enjoying my boy too much to leave him, but I'm planning on a walk/run this weekend. I've been walking a couple of miles a day with DS2 in the Moby so I'm getting back in to things gradually. I have a half ironman next September so I have to get moving fast!

I think that if you feel fine and your postpartum bleeding doesn't increase exponentially, then you're all set. I think most people are just use to the 6 week 'rule'...

rafi and charlie by zubeldia36, on Flickr
October 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had very little bleeding over the last week and really feeling ready to run again. I was planning to try this weekend. But I was out doing a bunch of errands yesterday and my bleeding picked up quite a bit last night and today. I'm gonna take that as a sign to wait a bit longer before I try running. I had to stop around 31 weeks, I MISS IT SO MUCH!!!
October 27th, 2012, 12:49 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started running 2weeks pp, because my body felt great. With my daughter I waited until 5weeks, but I didn't run pregnant as l8nguyen with her, so it was hard to get motivated. This time I've felt great and eased into.
October 27th, 2012, 01:35 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I think the important thing is to just really listen to your body. If your bleeding picks up with the increased exercise, take that as a sign that you need to back off. Every recovery is different, and the amount of exercising you were doing prior to delivery in my opinion is a factor in deciding how much to do after as well as just how you are feeling physically overall.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search