Birth weight and WIC appointment.

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Peytonsmomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've cross-posted on JM FB but I have a few questions:
*Birth weight: she was 7lbs and 13oz, when we were discharged she weighed 7lbs and 3oz. Our first appointment on 10/22/12 with the pedi she weighed 7lbs and 8oz. When I went to my WIC appointment with her yesterday (10/26/12) she weighed 7lbs 3oz. However at my slight appointment with the pedi due to the non bowl movements, the nurse specified that the weight was 'okay' an might have been in error.*

Anyway, I have this worry wort thought in my mind, that we are doing something wrong. Do I have something to worry about? She will be 2 weeks old on halloween.*

How do I weigh her at home without going to the doctors each time?*
My next issue/rant is WIC. They won't provide any help for formula when I cannot provide the right amount of breast milk to keep her weight up. I am pumping every 2-3 hours, just not enough. She won't suckle at all or if she does it's about 2 suckles - she will latch until she becomes frustrated.*

I guess what bothers me is that they are now not going to help
Much until I see them next on 11/26, one month after she's been born. The other issue I have is when we first started with WIC they specified that after she is born, he can go back with me. On my Friday appointment they wouldn't let him in at all, and although he was pissed, I am even more pissed....because they lied to me. Yet they want me to verify not only my income (I have no issues) but they need his as well, yet they wont let the father back in, really?*

Ugh. Well thanks for letting me rant about WIC, but main questions is about her weight. Thanks guys !

October 27th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
My baby has not reached his birth weight either and he will be 3 weeks this coming Monday. The doctor says not to worry, he is doing just fine. As long as baby gains an ounce a day there is nothing to worry about ( I still worry). Make sure when you bring baby to get weighed they use the same scale at each weight check..scales vary.
Well..if you get on a scale at home and weigh yourself then get on again with baby and weigh youreself you can get an idea of how much baby weighs. I tried this and it was so different from how much he weighed at his doctors appointment.

October 27th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As long as she's got the right amount of dirty diapers she's doing okay and she'll get there.

WIC is....WIC is a trip.
October 27th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Peytonsmomma
ok...you are doing just fine with her gaining weight!
for wic you either have to be fully breastfeeding or fully formula feeding, so next apt just tell them you are fully formula feeding and you will get the checks

they sign the mother up and the child so if he was a single dad fully responsible for the child then he would be the one going to the apts not you see how that works? you are the only person on the checks, you are the only person who signs for them not him. but yes just like DSHS his income comes into part bc ya'll live together.

theron is 3 weeks old and is not at birth weight, in fact hes lost almost 2lbs since birth we have to go every two days, found out he was tongue tied, he also has a problem swallowing to. so take a deep breath as long as she has 6+ wet diapers and poop diapers a day she is doing fine
bostoncreampie likes this.
October 27th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will say there's a caregiver form or something that you can fill out in most states so that someone can sign the WIC checks for you. I've been able to sign for two friends because I had their kids so much.
October 28th, 2012, 06:10 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Try not to worry about her weight. I know, easier said than done. My first was a slow gainer, perfectly healthy just the way he was. It took him 5 weeks to get back to his birth weight. My Mom got us our own digital baby scale because the every 2 days to the pedi for weight checks was just too much especially since they charged me the 15 dollar copay each time.

If you have a regular digital scale you can use that too. Weigh yourself then weigh yourself holding her and subtract your weight.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

October 28th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So when I weigh myself and then her on it - it states she's about. 8lbs 6oz. No offense to her but she feels lighter than that lol

How much are those baby scales out of curiosity.

October 28th, 2012, 02:38 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
you can get a digital postal scale that will work.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search