spitting ?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By CrunchyChristian
  • 3 Post By CrunchyChristian
  • 1 Post By bryan and nina
  • 2 Post By bostoncreampie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So here is what's been going on so far:

Savina began being extremely fussy and crying a lot around 3 1/2 - 4 weeks. She'd been spitting a lot, and wasn't burping well, and she wanted to be on the boob all day. One night she was up all night crying her lungs out. I called the pedi the next morning and the nurse asked if Savina spits after every feeding. I wasn't sure, but certainly almost every feeding, but she doesn't during night feedings. She asked if she has 6-8 wet diapers a day, I said yes definitely. So she suggested some things regarding breastfeeding and watching baby a couple more days. I followed her advice. Savina's burping got better then and she spat less. But she was still extremely fussy and crying like she was being killed. We saw the pedi three days later as I was starting to get worried. He calmed us down though, saying she still looks perfect, when he examined her. He suggested it may be light reflux, which would explain why she wanted to be at my boob all day (he said the milk soothes the burning sensation). He prescribed her Zantac. She'd been doing better with the reflux pain then, but was still very gassy (which she had been too) and crying in pain from the gas. We got her colic calm, which didn't help her much. That weekend she cried so hard she got her voice all hoarse. I then texted Nina and she suggested to try Mommy's Bliss (thanks Nina, that stuff works soooo well!). Baby is still very fussy most of the time, but at least not from pain anymore, unless she gets gassy again, and then I give her the gripe water. We saw the pedi again the following Monday for the scheduled 5 weeks well visit and Savina was perfect and gaining weight right on track.

But since yesterday morning she's been spitting up a lot more again (we are still giving her Zantac twice a day). She's six weeks today. I wonder if I should see the pedi again before her 2 months well visit Dec 17. Is this increased spitting normal around this age? When should it slow down again?

Savina is exclusively breastfed atm.

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
November 27th, 2012, 08:29 AM
CrunchyChristian
Yes. Spitting up is perfectly normal and "peaks" at about 4 months of age. As long as you think the medicine is working and she's not in pain, the spitting up is just part of babies! If you're concerned, don't feel bad about wanting to call the pedi just to ask!
Lav likes this.
November 27th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks Shannon! that reassurance makes me feel better about it

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
November 27th, 2012, 08:53 AM
CrunchyChristian
I feel bad and wish I could live by you to help! I know how tough it is with fussy babies. Hang in there, you are doing an awesome job!!!!!
bryan and nina, Lav and JillMama like this.
November 27th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
that's sweet of you, thanks!

November 27th, 2012, 11:47 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I don't have advice but want to tell you Emmy didn't spit at all until a few days ago. I bet it's a phase. I'm glad that mommys bliss helps her some! We like it a lot and Emmy doesn't even mind the taste.
Lav likes this.

November 27th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Savina doesn't mind the taste either! When I give her Zantac, she gets sour face, but when I give her Mommy's Bliss she doesn't - once she even sucked it right out of the dropper herself! 2 strong sucks and 2.5ml were gone! lol

November 28th, 2012, 08:17 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Have you eliminated dairy from yuor diet? I'm guessing she doesn't even have true reflux and that something yuo're eating is not sitting well. Cows milk protein is especially hard for babies to digest via breastmilk.
doremi and JillMama like this.
November 28th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was going to suggest decreasing/eliminating dairy from your diet too. My first two had a very hard time with dairy, and I'm thinking we are seeing signs of it in Esther now too (spitting up, more gassy), so am working to decrease my dairy intake with her now.
November 28th, 2012, 09:29 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Keep in mind too that around 3 weeks is growth spurt time, which means she is eating more at each feeding. Fuller tummy often equals more spit up. At least in my experience! Unless she is projectile spitting up, I wouldn't worry about the spit up. I agree with Kristen that it could very well be an intolerance to something in your diet, dairy being the most common thing.

November 29th, 2012, 04:19 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've done a huge elimination/cut back in my diet. Dairy is a HUGE one. I'm only drinking almond milk (which is sooo yummy) and almond milk ice cream, dairy/soy free butter etc. No acidic food, tomatoes oj etc. I watch the onions and garlic, nothing spicy, no coffee no caffeine actually and I've seen a huge difference in Jett. The other night I had one ground beef taco which had taco seasoning and he was MISERABLE for 2 days . So when I cook at home I often make my little portions seperate. Last night we had shrimp tacos so I made my shrimp and white sauce seperate. I even made my own dairy free mashed potatoes for Thankgiving. I'll be making dairy free it cocoa for Christmas morning since my brother and niece are also both off dairy

Give it a shot. Also keep in mind it takes a few weeks for the dairy to be out of your system. Also if u go to your local health food store you'll find lots of dairy/soy free options.

Hope it gets better!

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
November 29th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks! I don't eat much dairy, but little that I do, I guess I'll have to cut out to see

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search