Anyone else dreading shots for baby?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree29Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2012, 09:30 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1InSummerland View Post
For those of you who delay or skip vaccinations, do you mind sharing your reasons and/or some non-biased sources I could look up on the subject that cover the pros and cons for and against? I really want to do what is best for our family but feel like I just don't have enough good information on the subject. Everything I can find (on both sides of the issue) seems to do a lot of fear mongering rather than fact sharing...
A User-Friendly Vaccination Schedule by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD is a good article. It's what we were going to follow after age 2 but you can't fine separate DTaP shots now and that vaccine is one of the worst ones out there. Tetanus is not a worry for us yet as they are not at risk of encountering that sort of injury at this age, they can get the solo tetanus shot when they are of age in a few years, pertussis is not an effective vaccine as most people who get whooping cough are vaccinated, and the risks of the shot don't make it worth it for diptheria protection.

There are lots of books, articles, and informational videos out there. It's important to do your own homework, including researching both pro-vaccine and anti-vaccine literature. Reading the CDC vaccine pamphlets are a great way to start, which will include effectiveness, risks, and ingredients. Wherever you stand on the vaccination spectrum should not be formed without doing well rounded research from multiple points of views, and then form your own. It's a very emotionally charged topic that it's important to get the right facts, and that takes some detective work. It's aso important to look at your own family dynamic. If I were not breastfeeding and keeping my kids at home with me during these first years, I may have made a different decision. The fact that my son has asthma has me considering certain vaccinations now that I wouldn't consider with my oldest. It is not an easy answer.
December 4th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We'll follow the regular schedule but I do feel badly for him getting shots. it broke my heart seeing him getting his blood sugar checked the first few days in the hospital so I'm sure I'll feel the same with vaccines. I hope they let me hold him while he gets them since that helped in the hospital.

December 4th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuatx View Post
If you're still on the fence about it, it helps to remember that there aren't vaccinations for the things kids are mose likely to pick up in daycare (pink eye, common cold, etc) and for the things that you CAN vaccinate for, it's likely the rest of the kids will be vaccinated which, if vaccinations are as effective as the companies want you to think they are, should almost completely eliminate any risk to YOUR kid... because if they are effective, who will even have those diseases to pass them along to your kid

I won't digress about all of this logic, but you can't vaccinate against germs! Kids can be safe at daycare, unvax'd or vax'd.
The unvaccinated are the ones who originally get the diseases. Vaccines are most effective when all are immunized. Vaccinated children are at risk because although they are highly effective, they aren't 100%.
jlstebbins likes this.
December 4th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuatx View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree with you on that point. It has been found that outbreaks originate and spread through vaccinated and unvaccinated populations alike. Vaccination is no guarantee against contracting or spreading disease, and the concept of herd immunity is always under major criticism from unbiased medical sources. It goes against the reality of outbreak cycles and the nature of changing diseases.

The biggest risk is having a compromised immune system, period. And vaccines themselves are correlated with degenerating immune systems (which is also why advent and increase in vaccinations are on par with increases in things like allergies, asthma and autoimmune disorders) which is part of why vaccines are not a guarantee.

Healthy kids have the best chance of avoiding disease, whether they are vax'd or not. And when we step outside of the limited history of vaccinations to look at the overarching reality of disease ebb and flow, we see that diseases come and go naturally without vaccinations and the vaccines that get credit (smallpox being a big one) came in at the end of a natural decline in the disease. When natural immunity is minimzed after a few decades without the disease occuring with populations, since immunity would no longer be passed down mother to child, we see an increase in the disease again, which is why polio is coming back.

Eradication because of vaccination is another contentious issue with lots of evidence against it. But I digress... i'll leave this to the people who asked about why not to vax, to read and consider.
We'll have to agree to disagree.
jlstebbins and abur like this.
December 4th, 2012, 02:47 PM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
2 words:

Modern Medicine!

Not having my child vaccinated would leave the door open to all sorts of horrid illnesses, which could be possibily deadly! This day and age, you have to know whats best for your child. Just b/c you think that your child is super healthy doesnt at all mean they wont get the deseases!

All peds recommend it. Therefore, I find common sense!
Jinnah likes this.

December 4th, 2012, 04:48 PM
cincy1luv's Avatar 1st time mommy
We go the 21st. not looking foward to it!!
December 4th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstebbins View Post
2 words:

Modern Medicine!

Not having my child vaccinated would leave the door open to all sorts of horrid illnesses, which could be possibily deadly! This day and age, you have to know whats best for your child. Just b/c you think that your child is super healthy doesnt at all mean they wont get the deseases!

All peds recommend it. Therefore, I find common sense!
I just wanted to throw out there the idea that health can be looked at more holistically than just from a medical perspective. Every professional is trained in a biased way, that's why specialties exist. And pediatric doctors aren't the only health professionals. There are many other professionals who have just as much expertise and training to have valid perspectives. I think that a lot of parents who do not vaccinate realize that doctors are extremely biased in their training, more importantly that they are heavily endorsed by vaccine manufacturers to push their vaccinations and give a certain amount of vaccines with benefits. When a parent makes a medical choice about her child, it's okay to look at different professional views and not take what pediatricians say as the end all. Pediatricians are required to recommend vaccinations in order to maintain their licenses. That doesn't mean that all parents who are pediatricians are vaccinating their children the same way they are advising other parents to do.

I also think it's a valid point to consider that doctors don't really care about individuals when looking at vaccine effectiveness, they care about the fact that vaccines overall are safe and effective and do their job at keeping disease under control, but are not really as interested in the risks associated with vaccine adverse reactions in YOUR child. They'd rather risk your child for the sake of public health.

Also, parents who do not vaccinate their children based on the fact that their child is healthy are not naive in thinking that because they are healthy they will not get the disease. Rather, they understand that most vaccine preventable diseases are NOT deadly. And that more likely than not, a child with a HEALTHY immune system will have a relatively easy job at fighting through the illness. Whooping cough, for instance. It's a terrible illness, and if any of my children got it I would be terrified. But my 4 year old would likely be just fine, and he would get through it will lots of TLC and come out with a more robust immune system than a child whose immune system was slammed with an overload of vaccinations.

I think it's really important to take lots of different perspectives in to account, and not just the traditional pediatric standpoint, when looking at the vaccination discusion. Because they are only one perspective, but in my opinion certainly not the last word.

Last edited by bostoncreampie; December 4th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
December 4th, 2012, 06:23 PM
ellinj0206's Avatar Mom to Alexandra Jane
Send a message via Skype™ to ellinj0206
Cincy---we go on the 21st, too!

December 4th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Chances are, everything will be just fine!
December 4th, 2012, 07:48 PM
We all do things a bit different, and its all good.
ellinj0206 likes this.

December 5th, 2012, 02:49 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Great point Lori.
I wish I could make up my mind with this. Obviously I'd rather not have my child be poked and her system overloaded with vaccines and their carriers which seem to still consist of heavy metals in some cases?! But I have to admit that I don't have the stones to not vax her. if something happened I'd be devastate and would feel terribly guilty. A big factor too is that with Bryan's large family here, she will inevitably be around germy kids several times a year. I think if we mostly stayed to ourselves I'd feel a bit more comfortable...
I want to add that I love how far we have come, being able to talk about this SO civilly. I have a huge respect for that, especially in light to the troll thread in the other ddc. All you ladies are awesome and you all teach and have taught me so much by being able to give all your different view points!.

December 5th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstebbins View Post
We all do things a bit different, and its all good.
agreed! just sharing the other side.
December 5th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Yeah that is good. People need to be informed both sides on anything in general.
bostoncreampie likes this.

December 5th, 2012, 05:54 AM
totally! i don't care what people do as long as it's an informed decision.
December 5th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Teeniemama's Avatar Super Mommy
We got shots yesterday at our two month appointment. The nurse did them so quickly it was over before I knew it! I nursed Sophie before and after, and yes she did turn quite red and scream...I was not looking forward to this, but like I said, the nurse did it so fast! After we got home she slept a lot, and she was very fussy last night but she is colicky and is fussy at night regardless. She woke up a lot during the night I think because she slept so much during the day. Oh, we did give her some infant tylenol to help with any fever or pain she might have from the shots. Today she is her delightful self!

If you are dreading your shot visit I understand, I was dreading it too, but it wasn't bad at all. I can see it being more difficult with older kids.

December 6th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Super Mommy
Just now reading this thread. Thanks Kristenpie and cuatx! I think it was meant to be for me to read your responses. I was up all night researching. My research up until now was horror stories from parents of autistic children I evaluated who SWEAR their children's personality changed RIGHT after vax. I know there are studies claiming autism is in no way linked to vaccinations. I've just interviewed parents personally who claim vax did cause autism. I have to continue with my research but I think I am going to delay... Don't know how long.

December 6th, 2012, 02:03 PM
CrunchyChristian
Nina, I agree- way to be respectful everyone!
firstxmommy likes this.
December 6th, 2012, 02:05 PM
This is a great website for parents to make informed decisions as well as for parents to report adverse reactions to shots.

Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System

You can access the data and see what people have reported for different vaccines.
firstxmommy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search