Anyone else dreading shots for baby?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree29Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
ellinj0206's Avatar Mom to Alexandra Jane
Send a message via Skype™ to ellinj0206
Alexandra's next appointment is on December 21. At this appointment she will receive her first series of shots. I feel so bad about this, but know it is a good thing for her (I have MS and have done plenty of research on immunizing kids and I do think it is a good idea, minus the flu shot).

Anyone else feeling nervous? Anyone already have shots administered to their LO?

El

December 3rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
The twins have had 2 RSV shots each (these are given only to kids with immune issues/lung issues to lessen the severity of RSV). It wasn't fun, but it wasn't awful either. It is a blessing when they are little enough not to know what is in store for them! Once they feel the needle stick they cry, but after minute or two they are back to their normal selves. Nursing before/during/after helps.

Our Pedi. recommends Tylenol for the first 24 hours after any shots. I didn't give the twins any since they didn't seem to show any effects from the shots, but you might ask about it when you go to get the shots.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 3rd, 2012, 05:04 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Yes, I am Jonah's appointment is Dec 12th.

December 3rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
YES, totally dreading it. Jamison goes in tomorrow morning.

December 3rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
Coleson had his 2 month shots last Thursday. It was sad when he cried, but it only lasted a minute or so.

It's either a few minutes of crying or possibly a lifetime of hurt. Getting immunized is sooooo super important. Protecting your baby from serious and deadly deceases is very very imortant to me!!!

So just relax and it will be over before you know it. Like Melissa said, baby Tylenol is ok if they need it for fussiness or a fever.
marinewife01 and Summerdays12 like this.

December 3rd, 2012, 05:58 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
no shots here.
firstxmommy likes this.
December 3rd, 2012, 06:12 PM
lovely.carlie's Avatar MaKinslie's Mommy
Dreading it next week is when we go in. She screamed bloody murder with the PKU

December 3rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Watching my daughter get shots as a toddler (which she got today) is so much harder than watching her get them as an infant. Today her leg stiffened up so much that she was limping this evening. Watching her limp around the room was harder than watching her cry getting the shot. Good grief.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

December 3rd, 2012, 08:15 PM
michellelove0502's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jayden does really well with shots so im not worried at all.
jlstebbins likes this.

December 3rd, 2012, 08:19 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Jennifer, which shot did she get that made her limp?? Omg you are traumatizing me.
I've been stressed about shots a lot!! We go back the first week in January so not for a while but I am so not looking forward to it.
Kristen, you do no shots what so ever?? Not even delayed?

December 3rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
nina none of my kids have had any shots yet. we had planned to delay until age 2 when ds1 was born but once he reached 2 we felt he was healthy enough to remain unvaccinated, specifically since he contracted swine flu and pneumonia and handled it really well. with ds2 having asthma, we are now considering starting him on some, but will probably leave ds1 unvaccinated. we feel he could handle many of the more common vaccine "preventable" illnesses just fine. but my 2 year old would have a harder time, which is why we are discussing if now is a good time to start with him. we will play it by ear with ruby too. but as of now, no one is vaccinated.
December 3rd, 2012, 08:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm honestly not worried. My older two have done fine with the few they have had. I've already declined the Hepatitis one they routinely give at 1 month (declined the birth one as well), and have informed the doctor that I would prefer to wait until at least 6 months to give any shots to Esther. Rebecca and Elias are very behind, and will be getting a whole pile of shots in the coming year, because I am NOT putting more than one shot in their body at a time, and we finally have a doctor willing to vaccinate my kids the way I want them to be (delayed and selectively), when I want them to be.
December 3rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
kaylarayne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Danika had her shots today. I forgot how horrible it is to watch them go through it. She turned like 10 shades of purple She is pretty cranky tonight. I hate shots!
December 3rd, 2012, 10:29 PM
1InSummerland's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For those of you who delay or skip vaccinations, do you mind sharing your reasons and/or some non-biased sources I could look up on the subject that cover the pros and cons for and against? I really want to do what is best for our family but feel like I just don't have enough good information on the subject. Everything I can find (on both sides of the issue) seems to do a lot of fear mongering rather than fact sharing...

Thank you, Bokkechick, for my beautiful siggy.
Group Leader for Face2 Face Fort Lee and Richmond Area.
Check out my blog! :-) and my blog for Jude.

December 3rd, 2012, 11:10 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We already got ours. She cried for a minute and was fine some breastmilk drops later. She was fussy that evening though.

Sisters, friends forever
December 4th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Reed had his Friday and cried for just a minute. He was a tad fussy that evening, but nothing a little Tylenol doesn't fix.

December 4th, 2012, 04:29 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We were going to delay everything until we decided on day care vs a nanny. Obviously these places are infested with germey nasty kids.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
December 4th, 2012, 06:57 AM
CrunchyChristian
Just an FYI, the DTaP can be a painful shot AFTER the fact. It can make their muscle surrounding the injection site really sore. So anyone who notices a crabby baby a day or two after that particular injection, that might be why.
December 4th, 2012, 07:22 AM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have an irrational fear of shots myself, and the thought of ME getting a shot starts to bring my anxiety level up.

The thought of my BABY getting shots, especially multiple shots, is downright terrifying!

I think I honestly may need to leave the room when she gets them, I'll be a mess.
bryan and nina likes this.
December 4th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1InSummerland View Post
For those of you who delay or skip vaccinations, do you mind sharing your reasons and/or some non-biased sources I could look up on the subject that cover the pros and cons for and against? I really want to do what is best for our family but feel like I just don't have enough good information on the subject. Everything I can find (on both sides of the issue) seems to do a lot of fear mongering rather than fact sharing...
All I know is that when people stop vaccinating, the diseases they prevent start making a comeback. That can affect the immunocompromised and the very young and old. It even affects those that have been immunized. My dd got whooping cough a few years back even though she had been immunized against it. This wouldn't have happened if whooping cough hadn't made a comeback. Immunizations have higher rates of effectiveness when everyone gets them. Luckily, my dd got a mild case.
Teeniemama, Belita and jlstebbins like this.

Last edited by Jinnah; December 4th, 2012 at 10:08 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search