Milk Supply

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2012, 10:45 AM
kaylarayne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know that there are other threads about this but I am wondering if anyone else is dealing with this. PLEASE NO BASHING

I returned to smoking about a month and a half after Danika was born. I am not smoking a lot. I smoke 2-5 cigarettes a day and I try to smoke immediately after nursing or pumping so that by the time the next feeding or pumping session comes along, the "poisons" have had enough time to almost leave my system (per everything I have read). I am not asking for a lecture on smoking or the harms etc. etc. I have been pumping at work and get anywhere from 3-6 oz each session (combined from both breasts) but today I fed baby girl at 7:15 AM and then went to work. I pumped at 10:00 AM and only got 2.5 oz which is low for nearly 3 hours. I KNOW that the smoking is NOT helping, BUT I also read in several places that HEAVY smoking (20 or more a day) will decrease your supply...so I am not certain that is what it is. I am eating oatmeal daily, taking fenugreek and drinking 2 cups of Mother's milk tea almost every single day. I am assuming that more nursing and more pumping will probably be the best solution but that might not be entirely possible. Any other suggestions? Are there any other milk boosting foods or any other methods I can try (besides quitting smoking which I fully intend to try to do AGAIN...immediately). I feed her in the morning before work. I pump three times a day at work and then nurse the rest of the evening and all night.

I never smoke anywhere near the baby (always outside) and when I am done I wash my hands thoroughly and take a wipe to my face and neck. I also wear a beenie so that the smoke doesn't get in my hair. You could say I look a lot like Kenny (South Park) when I smoke. I know I know...way more effort than it is worth but it is SOOOO hard! Why I let this crap in to my body, I have no idea but I do know that it is the hardest thing to do (quitting)
December 5th, 2012, 11:35 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
quitting is very hard to do, so thumbs up for trying to quit again. Besides all the stuff your taking, foods that have worked is steel cut oats, drinking plenty of water, and making sure your eating a sufficient amount of calories. Just my opinion but if you're drinking the tea, drinking plenty of water, taking the pill, eating enough, I would pin point it to just the smoking that is bringing it down. The only other thing I can think of that might help is power pumping, you pump for a total of 60mins, start with pumping 10mins off 10mins, pump 10min, off 10min, etc. It's suppose to simulate a growth spurt.

Good luck I know it gets frustrating when the supply drops, been there with my daughter. Is it just a one type pump session that it went down?
December 5th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Ok explain the power pump to me again...sorry it doesn't make much sense. are you saying 10 min on and 10 min off for one hour? I can do that, but not at work. I will have to try that at home.

No not just today's pump session. I decided to pump last night because Danika had went to bed and I was full...or so I thought. I only got 3 oz when I know I should have gotten at least 5 or 6. I let the pump run a good 10 minutes after nothing was coming out for stimulation...It is frustrating I am about to go pump right now so we will see what happens I have felt 2 let downs since I pumped last and I press into my breasts to stop any flow so no drop goes wasted lol. Wish me luck!
December 5th, 2012, 12:40 PM
yes your right pump for a total of 60mins and off on, lol sorry i suck at explaining some things over the internet. I would have to say it's the smoking draining your supply. I have to pump 20mins because i get mulitple let downs and it just takes forever for me to pump out 5oz.
December 5th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I just pumped for neay 30 min and got 2.5 oz definitely sonething wrong! I feel like the milk is there but just not coming out. It must be the smoking becausw I am doing everything else right. It is for the best but going to be a real challenge

Thank you so much for the advice. I will also try the 60 minute pumps

December 5th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Good luck you can do it:] also try not to stress too much that also effects the amount you pump out.
December 5th, 2012, 01:46 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I'm sorry you are struggling with this. I think any amount of breastmilk she gets is great, don't beat yourself up if you can't get the supply to increase. It sounds like you are doing a lot of what people would recommend. For me, eating the rolled oats every morning (and not the quick oats), drinking tons of water, and getting extra sleep helps me. Good luck!
December 5th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lactation cookies!! Well, I just make the quaker's best oatmeal cookies (recipe is on quaker's website) with dark chocolate chips added, but same idea, lol. And, LOTS of water (by lots I mean minimum of 12c BEYOND other liquids consumed). Also, nurse her whenever you can when she is available and pump at least every 2 hours when at work if possible.
December 5th, 2012, 02:21 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
3oz is the MOST I ever get!!!!

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
December 5th, 2012, 03:38 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs! No advice, but I know how hard it is!! I used to be a big smoker. I know if I picked up one, I wouldn't be able to stop again. It is sooo tough! You can do it mama.

December 5th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Super Mommy
I always do hand expression after pumping and that seems to boost the amount I get. I am taking mother's milk supplements as well and trying to eat lots of things with oats. I did read that if you are fatigued that can have an effect on your supply so sometimes taking a nap before pumping can help you get a higher yield - haven't managed to try that tip myself yet though!
December 5th, 2012, 06:58 PM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know how you feel....I've slipped up a few times too and I've also done the same stuff you do to cover as much of yourself as you can lol It's so hard now that I'm not pregnant cause it absolutely repulsed me! Try to drink a lot of water because I've always felt that cigs dehydrated me...
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

December 5th, 2012, 07:27 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I would definitely up your water intake. The only other thing I would suggest is hand expressing after each pumping session. The LC at my hospital said that studies have shown this increases a woman's supply by up to 50%. And of course, quit smoking

December 5th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Veteran
Also ensure that your pump flange is the right size. With DD1, I pumped with the wrong size flange for a year because I didn't know any better. I had plenty of milk when she nursed, but I never could pump more than 2 oz a day! Going to a larger flange size this time has allowed me to get 5 oz per session easily. Good luck Mama!
December 5th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quitting smoking is insanely hard. Kudos to you for even trying mama! My husband has STRUGGLED.

With you pumping at work, just make sure to stay on top of your food intake. You're doing a lot and you can get busy. The flange thing is something I'm reading a LOT about too. So maybe talk to a LC about that?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search