Mastitis or IBC - Not breast feeding

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lavenderlady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Hi ladies, i am looking for some help.

I am NOT pregnant or breastfeeding but i think i might have infectious mastitis. A few months prior to my symptoms, i noticed a white blister on the end of my nipple. It was agony. After spending the whole weekend poking at it, after about 3 days i noticed the whole tip of my nipple was yellow under the surface with a sort of scab over the top. when i went for a shower, it burst and runny white/yellow pus came out (sorry, this is horrible) afterwards, i could see the white dot again i had seen a few days earlier and when i squeezed it, a white thing that looked like spagetti (quite solid) came out and it was about the length of my pinky nail. I didnt put any ointment on because i didnt have any and after it burst it felt instantly better so i thought no more of it. Between then and now, i have left like my breast just wasnt right, when i bent over in the shower to wrap my hair in a towel, it felt heavier than the other. so, moving forward about 3 months ... i started to get a heavy feeling in the same breast, it had a dull ache and i thought, maybe i've pulled a muscle? A day or so later, i have the worst headache ive had in my life. I'm coming home from work and going straight to bed, it's too painful, shivery skin, muscle aches, can't get a heat etc. The following morning i notice a red wedge shape mark on my breast from the nipple, upwards towards the middle of my chest. My breast became swollen, with a hard lump, firmness, redness, slightly itching (only sometimes, not always) it's the upper inner part of my left breast. I went to the docs who gave me a week worth of antibiotic, which was helping, but as soon as the week course was over, i was back to being in agony. I was then given a 14 day course of 500mg antibiotic which has now been finished for a week. i would say i'm 90% better, no redness (this went away after 2 days) no constant pain, no pain in the glands at my collarbone, which were sore perviously ... just a tender sore spot when touched and a slight area of firmness. I done a urine test which showed up infection, but then i did another one during my last week of antibiotics and it came back clear? Why am i still suffering pain with this? It tends to get worse after wearing a bra all day. why would i get a milk blister if never been pregnant? Can anyone help me, i'm so scared ive got IBC or something really bad. I know it's good news my symptoms have improved a lot with the antibiotics, but it's still a worry. I am 26. It didnt help it was 3 weeks before i could get an appointment at my local doctors to start the antibiotics, do you think this is why it is taking so long? It is maybe a really deep infection? I can feel one part of my breat that is sore, the rest has always been pain free, i have no changes to my skin, no discharge apart from that thing months ago. I wonder whether touching the blister and picking it with my fingernail has meant it has got infected. I'm just not sure whether or not it would take a few months to show up any symptoms, like the headache from hell etc?

Thank you so much, i am so worried.
December 5th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Veteran
Hi, I can't speak about mastitis specifically, but I can tell you that when I had an infection in my toe it was tender months after I finished taking the antibiotics. Also, even with that happening years ago, I have to be careful with my pedicures now because it gets irritated very easily. Don't hesitate to go back the doctor if it starts getting the least bit inflamed. You may need a more aggressive round of antibiotics.
JillMama likes this.
December 5th, 2012, 11:52 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no advise but I'm sorry your in pain!

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
December 5th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Thank you for your encouraging reply. It just doesn't feel quite right yet. I'm back at the doctors this week. There seems to be little help out there for non-breast feeding sufferers. I'm praying its nothing more serious.

Thanks
December 5th, 2012, 12:52 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Don't worry!!! You had what's called a bleb. It's a milk blister. I had the same thing once and it is agony. You did the right thing opening it and letting it move out. I'm on my phone so I can't find links but google bleb or milk blister and see what you find. In some cases, the infection can form an abscess which may need to be surgically drained. After I had mastitis, I had a hard lump for weeks after my antibiotics, but it eventually went away. If it hadn't, they said a surgeon would have needed to drain it. I would contact a certified lactation consultant for advice. Good luck.

Tags
breast tenderness , cancer , infection

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search