flat head? helmets?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By revolutionarygirl
  • 2 Post By LucilleTwo
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2012, 12:48 PM
revolutionarygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my dr says that the twins have flat spots, and though we do tummy time and try to turn their heads, it hasnt helped,... so we have an appointment with a pt and helmet place,... if we go that route, they'll have to wear it 23 hours a day for 2-3 mo.

has anyone done this? is it really necessary?
December 5th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have some Facebook friends who have had their children wear those helmets. Worked for their kids. No personal experience though ...

December 5th, 2012, 01:51 PM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont have personal experience with it, but one of my friends son was born with a super flat head. I'm thinking about of the way he was sitting in the birth canal and amount of time, then they didn't really do anything to correct it after he was born. Well they decided not to get the helmet thinking him doing tummy time and positioning his head the other way will help it round it, not the case. He's 1 1/2 and his poor head is so misshaped, but his was an extreme case I think.
December 5th, 2012, 01:54 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
No experience but I would personally definitely use the helmet. I would not want to take the risk.
December 5th, 2012, 01:57 PM
mine's heads are not super flat... they just have a bit of a flat spot but it's enough that the doctor suggested we try this. But it's like $3800 if our insurance doesn't cover it. I'm going to call them today and find out. That would be like 7K! YIKES!

(dude, why cant I just make a helmet myself! thats ridiculous! (I'm mostly kidding, but geeez!!))
abur likes this.
December 5th, 2012, 02:55 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
They are watching the twins but so far we are okay. I'm a little nervous about what they might say at the next visit because they both do have flat spots, but they aren't terrible. Sorry I'm not more help...I hope that your insurance covers it!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 5th, 2012, 03:01 PM
It must be especially hard with twins because you can't hold them as much since there are 2 of them.
December 5th, 2012, 03:04 PM
yeah definitely. and Jasmine doesn't like tummy time for long unless she's on my chest, really.
December 5th, 2012, 03:20 PM
is there a way to lay them on their sides and alternate sides each time you put them down? i have even seen flat head donut pillows, maybe you could try that first?
December 5th, 2012, 03:32 PM
we have an appointment tomorrow, supposedly they're going to show us PT exercises we can do, but I'm not that hopeful that it will change that much. When we lie them on their stomach, I try and turn their heads the other way, etc, but they always turn it back!

the doctor said that their neck muscles were tight, that they like to look one way for some reason, so it exacerbates the situation. :\ I do try to move their heads, but, you know, it's hard with two and I'm so tired all the time.
December 5th, 2012, 03:43 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
It is SO hard with two. Claire spent all her time being worn and held, and I feel awful that the twins don't get the same amount of time doing those things. They are in their swing a lot more...and now we have flat spots

Melissa & DH

December 5th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Kansascity kitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never experienced this, but if you change their position (even if they are asleep) every 2/ 1/2-3 hours you won't have this issue. It can still be done and I know it is not easy with two. I don't think its necessary (of course not seeing the flat spots your Pedi is talking about) for the to get helmets. They're heads can improve quickly.

PT helps a bunch to loosen them up.

December 5th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Another helpful hint--- If you can still swaddle them thats good to control their movements therefore they can't change their head position specially sleeping. HTH.

December 5th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would maybe try the PT exercises and the swaddling or repositioning them in their sleep and give it about 2 months. Then you still have time to go the helmet route if you need to plus maybe you can put away a tiny something just to offset any costs there might be,
December 6th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sometimes repositioning isn't enough if there is an underlying issue. Definitely follow through with seeing the PT and I suggest going to see a chiropractor or an osteopath as well. Good luck.
December 6th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I truly hope it isn't anything serious. Good luck.

December 6th, 2012, 09:38 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionarygirl View Post
we have an appointment tomorrow, supposedly they're going to show us PT exercises we can do, but I'm not that hopeful that it will change that much. When we lie them on their stomach, I try and turn their heads the other way, etc, but they always turn it back!

the doctor said that their neck muscles were tight, that they like to look one way for some reason, so it exacerbates the situation. :\ I do try to move their heads, but, you know, it's hard with two and I'm so tired all the time.
George was like this...still is a little. He had a STRONG preference to look to one side, because he was positioned like that in the uterus. Moving their heads can help with the flat spot, but the goal is to strengthen/stretch their muscles so that they are more even on each side. As soon as the preference goes away, the head shape should improve.
Kansascity kitty likes this.

Melissa & DH

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search