Two month check-up and Rotavirus Vaccine?!

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Jinnah
Today was Elijah's two month check-up. He weighed 16 lbs. 4.5 oz. He is 23.5 inches long, so not much longer than his birth length. The doctor said he looks beautiful. I was worried that she would say something about all the weight he gained since some of you have had that happen, but she did not. I was very happy about that, but confused since some of you have had that happen recently.

On another note, they just keep adding more vaccines to the schedule! When did the Rotavirus vaccine get on the schedule?! I have four kids and the oldest three did not have this vaccine. I didn't even know about it until recently. I consented to all of the traditional vaccines, but declined the Rotavirus vaccine. I am worried as it is so new and after hearing the original one was recalled back in 1999.

Do you think I am doing Elijah a disservice by not getting that one? Apparently, everyone gets Rotavirus, but I don't recall ever getting it and I don't recall my children ever having it. If it's that mild that I didn't know they had it, then is the vaccine even necessary?

Last edited by Jinnah; December 10th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
December 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Jinnah
Just wanted to add something I thought was cute and sad at the same time:

On the way home, Elijah was "yelling" things in the car. He was not crying or whining, just babbling that sounded like he said a few angry things. Maybe because of the shots?? Poor baby!
December 10th, 2012, 11:10 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
nak...

are you breastfeeding? Breastfeeding protects against acute gastroent... [Eur J Pediatr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

i'm not a fan of that one, esp. in breastfed babies.
bryan and nina and Jinnah like this.
December 10th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
nak...

are you breastfeeding? Breastfeeding protects against acute gastroent... [Eur J Pediatr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

i'm not a fan of that one, esp. in breastfed babies.
Why don't you like it? I've been reading some things I don't like, but it's hard to determine what is correct on the internet.

Yes, I am exclusively breastfeeding. Maybe this is why I can't recall my other children getting rotavirus, either... they were all breastfed for 12-14 months.

Thanks for the link!
December 10th, 2012, 11:22 AM
CrunchyChristian
I have a friend who is vax's with everything except that one...even though her son got it twice (usually you get it once and are immune, but for some reason he had it twice, clinically tested). He was a very sick as a toddler with it and she still refuses it for her babies. I honestly don't know her reasoning behind not doing that one when she does all the others, but just thought you'd like to know!
December 10th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Jinnah
Thanks for the info. My niece had the Rotavirus vax with no problems, but I am worried because it's so new.
December 10th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Riley got that vaccination when he was a baby and Eve got it also.
December 10th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Your worry is legit!!
December 10th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Your worry is legit!!
Tell me why so I don't give in next time!!! lol
December 10th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I have to walk on eggshells around here as I have strong feelings but feel it best to remain somewhat unbiased as the new co-host.

I just think that your hesitation around the vaccine being so new is completely legit, especially since that same vaccine was pulled off the market just prior for having some awful side effects. Allowing your baby to test out a new vaccine with no real history is a big commitment!
December 10th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
I have to walk on eggshells around here as I have strong feelings but feel it best to remain somewhat unbiased as the new co-host.

I just think that your hesitation around the vaccine being so new is completely legit, especially since that same vaccine was pulled off the market just prior for having some awful side effects. Allowing your baby to test out a new vaccine with no real history is a big commitment!
Oh, I see! Sorry! I definitely do not want to be a tester for a new vaccine. I just worry what if he does get Rotavirus and I regret not giving it to him? A friend JUST told me that her dd reacted terribly to it and that her pediatrician stopped offering because so many kids were reacting. Then another friend told me her kid was hospitalized from getting Rotavirus and that it was horrible. It's hard to decide.

If you have any links, could you post or PM them to me?
December 10th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Peytonsmomma
Peyton had the Rotavirus vaccination over 3 years ago, and i was EBF, Theron had it and i am partially breastfeeding the only vaccination i decline it the flu shot! other than that no problems here
Jinnah likes this.
December 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Was your friend breastfeeding? Not that breastfed kids don't get it, it just usually isn't as severe.

I will see what I can find later tonight. There is also a choosing not to vaccinate board on JM that is innactive, but you can search different vaccines and see what disciussions come up. Of course it is al biased, but there are many links and articles as well as CDC inserts linked with vaccine ingredients and possible reactions, straight from the manufacturers!
Jinnah likes this.
December 10th, 2012, 01:39 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I've been stressing about that Vax as well! I don't want to feel guilty for NOT giving it later... Someone tell me what to do.

December 10th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Was your friend breastfeeding? Not that breastfed kids don't get it, it just usually isn't as severe.

I will see what I can find later tonight. There is also a choosing not to vaccinate board on JM that is innactive, but you can search different vaccines and see what disciussions come up. Of course it is al biased, but there are many links and articles as well as CDC inserts linked with vaccine ingredients and possible reactions, straight from the manufacturers!
Thank you... I really appreciate it. I think this is one vaccine I am going to pass on. I even do flu shots, but this one is just too new and my other kids were just fine without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
I've been stressing about that Vax as well! I don't want to feel guilty for NOT giving it later... Someone tell me what to do.
That is exactly what my problem is. I hope I am making the right decision. I'm completely okay with the ones he did receive today, but I just hate new ones.
December 10th, 2012, 01:51 PM
There's no one "right" decision, unfortunately. You can't predict what will happen. To me, vaccinating has risks and I am also aware that not vaccinating has as many risks.

To me, it's a risk assessment. There are many factors that go in to it like health conditions, breastfeeding or not, baby in daycare or staying at home. And then each illness has a different severity of risks, some are more deadly than others and some vaccinations seem more vital than others. To me a hospital stay is not a death sentence, and I am not terrified of my children being sick. I try and trust their bodies and their immune systems and understand that fighting through something will allow their bodies to develop natural, longer lasting immunities that they could not have with a vaccination. And to many, I am insane.

There is just no formula. Everyone has to find their peace with it and whatever that ends up being, is the right choice.
December 10th, 2012, 02:23 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If Jett weren't a day care baby I would prob not do it, but he's already been in there two weeks and been sick twice!!! I'm not risking him getting anymore sick than he already will be.
Peytonsmomma and Jinnah like this.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
December 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
We vax on schedule but still wont do this one. Way too new! My 2nd daughter was born a year/18 months after it came out and I was going to decline it with her, but my ped's office didn't even offer it, which said something to me. It's not a required vax at all.
Jinnah likes this.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

December 10th, 2012, 04:36 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I couldn't have said it better myself Kristen!!! I struggled from the time I got pregnant to the time he was born with the vaccination debate.

I finally decided it was not right for us and declined the shots at his birth and will be declining them at his 2 month check up also. You are so right about there being risks with each side. For us personally, the benefits definitely don't outweigh the risks and that's why I decided against it.

But to each their own, we all have to make the best decisions for our family! Jinnah, I think you were so right to question this vaccine and deny it. New vaccines scare me also.
firstxmommy likes this.

December 10th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I thought for sure my 6 year old had it. I know my the almost for year I old did because I remember getting upset because the nurse let her choke on it and kept giving it to her. Reed had it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search