Walkers, Exersaucers, Jumperoos, etc...bad?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By abur
  • 1 Post By Peytonsmomma
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By abur
  • 2 Post By SLP83
  • 1 Post By Summerdays12
  • 2 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2012, 12:09 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
As I have previously mentioned, the twins are seen at a Pediatric Development/Therapy clinic. They follow all preemies until age 3 and watch for any effects of their prematurity, hoping that if they catch whatever issues we may have early enough, they can be corrected ASAP. Each appointment takes a couple of hours, and we see a nutritionist, pediatrician, occupational therapist, speech therapist, etc.

Anyhow, last time we were there, I was told to NOT put the twins in walkers, jumperoos, exersaucers, johnny jump-ups, etc. The OT said that things like that interfered with the development of a baby's muscles, hips, spine, etc. and should not be used. She said when the baby was ready to bear weight, I would know because he/she would pull themselves up to standing in a crib. At that time, limited use of the aforementioned items would be tolerable but not preferred.

I understand that if they spend too much time in those things it could be harmful, but I was kind of surprised by the recommendation to never use those things. Has anyone else been told this? Was this lady nuts?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 11th, 2012, 12:18 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Really?? I've never heard that. I feel like an hour or 2 a day should be just fine. As with everything, if you keep them in there all day I can see it interfering with development...
Emmy is getting an exersaucer for Christmas and I've been excited for her because it looks like a lot of fun!

December 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Mrs.Paradise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ive never heard that either... thats CRAZY! I wonder if its true...
December 11th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Super Mommy
I've definitely heard that about walkers and hadn't planned on buying one but I didn't think jumpers were bad too.

December 11th, 2012, 12:35 PM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Weird. Jumpers I can understand because of how much of an impact each jump makes on their little bones, but I don't see how bad a walker can be. I had one when I was a baby and I think I walk just fine but seriously, I get it because that's their job and all, but these products have been used for years and does everyone have spinal/bone/muscular problems?? And Hannah has been bearing weight on her legs for a while....she purposefully stands up and stretches her legs out when I pick her up sometimes, and I couldn't stop her from doing it if I wanted to! I would say that lady is a little serious..
JillMama likes this.
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

December 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Peytonsmomma
theron loves to stand up! and theron is in his exercauser everyday! my 3 year old loved her jumparoo, and my dsd who is 12 was in a johnny jump up! both children walk just fine!!
abur likes this.
December 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by abur View Post
And Hannah has been bearing weight on her legs for a while....she purposefully stands up and stretches her legs out when I pick her up sometimes, and I couldn't stop her from doing it if I wanted to!
That is more of a reflex than an indication that a baby is ready to bear weight...the OT meant standing or pulling themselves up alone.

Claire loved her walker and jumperoo...her favorite thing in the world was when I'd set her jumperoo out in the yard and she could watch the cats/birds/squirrels/etc. while I worked in the yard.

Just seems like ruling those things out completely is going overboard, but I don't want to do anything dangerous, either. It is frustrating when the "professionals" can't agree on this stuff
abur likes this.

Melissa & DH

December 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I just read about it and I guess the problem with walkers is that they can't see their feet and the area around it. Also, it's so easy for them to walk using one that they lose determination which can lead to delays in that area of development. We will be getting an exersaucer and from what I read, those seem to be pretty safe since their hips are centered over their legs moreso than with the other two.

December 11th, 2012, 01:24 PM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I see now makes sense! So they are basically saying the walker is forcing them to bear weight...well I think they are fine, and I'm sure I wasn't just forced in one at the wrong age. My SIL used one with my Bruce and I always wondered what the suggested age/milestone for use was!

Lol NIECE, not Bruce
bryan and nina likes this.
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

December 11th, 2012, 01:27 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I think most of them say that they can be used at 4 -6 months or when the baby has good head control. I think I waited until Claire was closer to 6 months.

Melissa & DH

December 11th, 2012, 01:46 PM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This goes along with my thread about hip problems... The third link I posted in the thread may give some insight into how the positioning of jumpers, etc. could possibly affect hip/spine health.
KMH and bryan and nina like this.
December 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I actually have heard of this issue. I worked at a child development center and part of my training for this particular center was about how jumaroos, etc are bad for development. BUT, I think that's if they spend too much time using one. My friend is handing me down her jumparoo and I plan on using it when Jonah is ready..6 months I guess.
KMH likes this.

December 11th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My SIL was told this with her boys who were preemies born at 28 weeks. I don't think a limited time is a big deal for most babies, especially those who aren't behind in development. I don't put my babies in any of that stuff until they're able to hold their heads well for longer periods of time...so definitely not yet.
December 11th, 2012, 06:27 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
that's crazy, are you supposed to hold two twins all day long then?
December 11th, 2012, 06:34 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
that's crazy, are you supposed to hold two twins all day long then?
Yes, while chasing a toddler...piece of cake
bryan and nina and JillMama like this.

Melissa & DH

December 11th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Oh my gosh; illegal?! That seems extreme! Do you know the reason? I imagine it must be because of injuries!?

December 11th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I think you should have to pass a test before you can become a parent. Lol. Just like the nap nanny issue. A handful of morons get an entire product shut down....

December 12th, 2012, 12:03 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuatx View Post
I never understand why they don't just start banning sh*tty parents instead of products that require the smallest degree of common sense.
That would be wonderful

Melissa & DH

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search