Can a baby get too fat while breastfed?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By bryan and nina
  • 5 Post By LucilleTwo
  • 1 Post By Mrs.Paradise
  • 2 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 1 Post By Tiffany8620
  • 2 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Jinnah
My mom called after I e-mailed a recent photo of Elijah. She laughed and said he's too fat and is so fat he looks uncomfortable and to feed him less. She also jokingly said to give him water sometimes instead of BM. She seemed to think it was cute, but it did make me wonder if he is too fat. Can a baby gain too much weight from breastmilk? I always thought they couldn't.

He weighed 16 pounds 4.5 ounces at his two-month check-up. He was 23.5 inches long. To compare, he was 8 lbs. 15 oz. and 22.5 inches at birth (although the length was slightly less according to the pediatrician at his first check-up). He wears size 3 diapers and 3-6 month clothes are starting to get too small and we have now started buying 6-9 month clothing. Anyway, when the pediatrician saw him, she told me he looks just beautiful. She seemed very happy with his progress and did not say anything about his weight.

What do you think?
December 17th, 2012, 10:48 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Wow.. That is pretty heavy! But I would tend to think that they can't "overeat" on BM. I mean, you can't let him go hungry if he wants to nurse, right?? Interesting question and I hope someone else chimes in!
Mrs.Paradise likes this.

December 17th, 2012, 10:54 AM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
No way!! Do not give him water like she is suggesting. Water for newborns can be very dangerous. He gets everything he needs from your milk and he is regulating exactly how much he needs. You cannot overfeed a breastfed baby.

He's perfect!

December 17th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
Wow.. That is pretty heavy! But I would tend to think that they can't "overeat" on BM. I mean, you can't let him go hungry if he wants to nurse, right?? Interesting question and I hope someone else chimes in!
I feed on demand as that is what I've heard is best. I've also been told he won't overeat on BM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle_Jr. View Post
No way!! Do not give him water like she is suggesting. Water for newborns can be very dangerous. He gets everything he needs from your milk and he is regulating exactly how much he needs. You cannot overfeed a breastfed baby.
Oh, don't worry, I would never give him water!! I have also heard that is dangerous and completely unnecessary.

I agree with everything you said, but I do worry he is too fat at times.
December 17th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Jinnah
Thanks for the reassurance... I really needed it.
December 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Mrs.Paradise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
nah! I think hes perfect! I would think your pediatrician would have said something if she was concerned...
Jinnah likes this.
December 17th, 2012, 11:34 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Nope, you are following what's natural and so don't second guess. My second was 10.9 lbs when he was born and at 15 lbs at a month. He was like 26 lbs at a year. He is a big boy now. Not fat at all, just solid and really strong!

There is a mama in my Le Leche League chapter whose 4 month old weighs like 24 lbs and he is in size 2T. It was really hard not to stare!
michellelove0502 and Jinnah like this.
December 17th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nope, nope, nope. Babies are supposed to be chubby. Definitely don't give water in place of BM. He needs every ounce of his food to be nutritious to help him grow and develop.
Jinnah likes this.
December 17th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Paradise View Post
nah! I think hes perfect! I would think your pediatrician would have said something if she was concerned...
My thoughts, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
Nope, you are following what's natural and so don't second guess. My second was 10.9 lbs when he was born and at 15 lbs at a month. He was like 26 lbs at a year. He is a big boy now. Not fat at all, just solid and really strong!

There is a mama in my Le Leche League chapter whose 4 month old weighs like 24 lbs and he is in size 2T. It was really hard not to stare!
Wow, that's big!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyLover View Post
Nope, nope, nope. Babies are supposed to be chubby. Definitely don't give water in place of BM. He needs every ounce of his food to be nutritious to help him grow and develop.
I love chubby babies, lol. I think the suggestion of giving water to babies is a generational thing.

A couple of members said their pediatricians said the babies were a little too large (I don't think they were as big as Elijah, but I could be wrong) and to cut back on the feedings. From what I could tell, they were bottle fed. Is that why they were given this advice?
December 17th, 2012, 12:07 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
He is perfect and getting exactly what he needs. Most babies are chubby at one point or another, but when they become mobile they'll lose the rolls
Mrs.Paradise and Jinnah like this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search