mommy friends

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree24Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2012, 08:55 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Do you have many mommy friends in real life? Do you select your mommy friends based on your parenting styles, or something else? Could you see yourself becoming very close to another mom with a completely opposite parenting philosophies?
December 20th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Peytonsmomma
i have one close mommy friend, the rest we have become "close" while i was prego and then slowly but surely fell off the world...we rarely talk and comment every once in a while on facebook, it makes me sad
December 20th, 2012, 10:03 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Yes, I have a group of college roommates who I consider my very best friends. They all have kids now, but I don't see them on a super regular basis since we are kind of spread out. We talk regularly though. I also have a wonderful group of girlfriends from our Young Families group at church, and we get together regularly for play dates, and our Bible study meets every other Saturday with the kids. My college roommates have various parenting philosophies, and I will admit, that it is much harder to have playdates with parents who have vastly different parenting philosophies than my own, especially when it comes to what is "okay" behavior for the kids and what is not.

December 20th, 2012, 10:16 PM
michellelove0502's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have many friends with children and not all of their parenting styles are the same. It seems as though me and my sister are the only people who really believe in disciplining our children, although I obviously cannot discipline Jayden now if I need to in the future I will. My other friends run to their children every time they make a peep and allow their children to do as they please and they do not listen because there is no discipline. It is very hard for me to be around children like that but I have to deal with it because they are my friends.

December 20th, 2012, 11:45 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I have none. I wish I could meet some!! I haven't found any groups or anything; the few they had on meetup charge like a membership... Pshhhh!

December 21st, 2012, 12:02 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
You will meet people, Nina! Do you have a public library that does storytime nearby? That is a great place to meet other moms, as is the local coffee shop

December 21st, 2012, 12:44 AM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have two mommy friends, we all meet up every now and then and have lunch with our babies. Their parenting choices and styles are much different than mine, but it's a non-issue for the most part. I just like the company of people who know what I am going through.
jlstebbins and JillMama like this.

December 21st, 2012, 12:49 AM
cincy1luv's Avatar 1st time mommy
Yes, I have a few best friends!! Two meet when I first moved an 1hour and a half away from home. We have become like family!! Our parenting is alot alike and we believe in alot of the samethings! We do know a couple and they are not on the same page as us for parenting but thats choices they make and we avoid them sometimes because of it! We believe in discipline and they dont!
JillMama and michellelove0502 like this.
December 21st, 2012, 04:07 AM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a mommy friend at school. We actually pump together during one of our planning periods!

My college roommates also have children, but they live in another state so I don't get to see them very much.

December 21st, 2012, 04:19 AM
Yes we do have a public library; that's a great idea!!

December 21st, 2012, 04:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Nina I met three of my really good friends now when Rylynn was three months old. They had a new mommies group at the hospital It free. They usually had a different speaker, but it was a great place to meet other moms. The four of us have been friends for 6 years now. We all went on to have our second and strangely enough three of us got pregnant around the same time with girls. lol. Two were born in December and mine was born in January. Now they are good friends. No one followed my lead on a third. lol One friend is in the process of adopting from Africa. It is fun to following her journey. The dads are all friends now as well.
Hopefully something like this will happen for you soon. check the hospitals in your area and see of they offer anything like this

As far as parenting all parent the same which is really nice.

December 21st, 2012, 06:35 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't made any new mommy friends bu most of my friends from back home in San Diego all have kids, between 1-3 kiddos now. My Denver friends... Not so much. I'm working on them. Lol
jlstebbins likes this.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
December 21st, 2012, 07:00 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
My best friend has a almost 9 month old. We grew up together and always wanted to have kids around the same time

December 21st, 2012, 07:12 AM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
I have several mommy friends. My really close friend is my neighbor and her oldest and my oldest are best friends, and in the same class at school. Its really cool. Also, I have several other friends from my Moms Connection at church. Its great being in a group of moms that share the same Christian beliefs as me. Im really not sure what there parenting styles are. I dont ask. lol.

December 21st, 2012, 07:20 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Oh, and I just met another mommy 2 weeks ago and we already had a playdate at the park and a craft day..we made ornaments. I meet several ladies since we are a military family but not really any that have babies though.

December 21st, 2012, 07:51 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
nina, go to a le leche league meeting, you'll love it! also look for the holistic moms network in your area. you have to pay but i think youll like it.

i run a meetup group here and charge $10/yr because meetup.com charges $150/yr to have a group.
bryan and nina and JillMama like this.
December 21st, 2012, 10:44 AM
Pageturner
my 2 friends lisa and amber have kids, and me and mollyjayne are friends in RL we met in birth classes.
bryan and nina likes this.
December 24th, 2012, 10:27 PM
That's awesome, cuatx!! Do you say where you live?? If you're not comfortable with that, no worries.
Kristen, I wish I could attend your meetup group!!!
As far as LLL meetings go, I tried like heck to find one while I was still prego. Contacted the supposed local chapter leader, found out it wasn't her anymore but someone else whose number she gave me. So I left a voicemail and never heard anything back. Tried email-nothing. so apparently that's not something very popular here...

The hospital new moms group... Is that something I could do even if I didn't deliver at that hospital? I'll look into that! Thanks for the suggestions!!
I feel out of place here anyway; I've always said I'd fit in way better in a state such as Oregon!!! That's where I want to live! Everyone around here is snobby and traditional. I'm more hippy, crunchy and such. Lol. Not very common here so I get a lot of raised eyebrows for the things we do.

December 24th, 2012, 11:34 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a couple of friends who happen to have kids about the same time as I did. One of my two childhood best friends has kids about the same age as mine but we live in different states; the few times we've met up our kids get on well and we talk on the phone everyday. Some friends we made when we moved to our town have kids couple of months apart from both of mine so we hang out together a lot. We even joke that our first kids are betrothed to each other (they have a son as their first). Our parenting styles are similar so no problem there. Her daughter (2nd child) is the one I gave my excess breastmilk to while I was in the US.

Sisters, friends forever
December 26th, 2012, 02:33 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have one friend that's a mom and two that are preggers, but don't really hang out with any of them. The one that has a little boy almost my daughters age doesn't parent anything like I do. She let's him do whatever. When their babies it's easier to have play dates with friends that have different parenting styles but the older they get, the more it stands out and you decide whether you want to keep doing playdates, not ending a friendship. That's where I found myself earlier this year. Hopefully when one of my friends has her baby we can have playdates, they're more our type of parenting style.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search