Mucus in poop

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2012, 04:08 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Emmy's been having mucusy stools for a few days. Some BMs it's more streaked with mucus than others... It's also been green; again some BMs more so than others, others it's almost yellow again. I know that could be from FM/HM imbalance but I've been making sure to offer one breasts several feedings in a row, so I don't think it's from that.

At what point would you call the dr? Her 2 month appt is next week Thursday so I don't feel like it's urgent enough to warrant me trying to get in before that, unless you guys think it is!

My second Q is that I read mucus almost always means it's a food allergy. Do you guys think that's what it is? I have been eating quite a bit of cheese; although I've purposely kept my milk drinking to a bare minimum; once every few days. I'm a vegetarian so I feel like I need to get protein from somewhere! Dairy and then the morning star farm fake meat products are our primary source of that. I also read that if a child has a dairy allergy, there is about a 30% chance it's allergic to soy as well, which is what the morning star farms products are made of. Ugh. I guess I'm putting the horse before the cart on that one though...

So does this sound like a dairy allergy to you guys? I won't lie, it would be REALLY tough for me to cut out dairy. Exceptionally tough! I love milk, cheese, yogurts... Everything dairy! But obviously if that's what I need to do, that's what I'll do!!
TIA!

December 26th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
Yes, my first thought was immediately food allergy. My 16 month old is allergic to milk, soy, and wheat and we discovered her allergy around 1.5 months when she had mucous and blood in her stool. I don't think it requires an emergency trip to the doctor if her appt is next week. They will likely tell you to cut out the dairy first. When you go to her appointment try to bring a poopy diaper with you. They will take a little sample of it and test for the milk allergy...and they may also send for a culture just to be sure nothing else is going on. Good luck Food allergies are no fun, but the good news is most babies will grow out of it :-)
bryan and nina likes this.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 2/1/15!

December 26th, 2012, 05:59 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope it's not dairy!! I've really cut mine. I'm mostly on almond milk, yogurt, Ice cream etc... I really like it though.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
December 26th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Thanks girls!!
So Jill, has it helped Jett a lot? I read it can take weeks to see a difference. Could it be just from me over doing dairy?? In the past week I've had a lot! We had cheesy grits casserole at Christmas yesterday, then I made a broccoli cheese soup a few days ago. Oh and I had Mac and cheese too. so could it maybe just be an od? Or does it not work like that??

December 26th, 2012, 07:02 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
An allergy wouldn't just show up now I don't think. And there would more likely be puking. A little cold causes mucous, and other times it can just be normal. I'd bring it up with the Dr but I personally wouldnt worry unless she seems upset.
December 26th, 2012, 07:10 AM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would have thought an allergy would have already shown up too. Maybe it's just a little cold or something ... Madalyn caught a cold from DH and she had some yucky poops too.

December 26th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was about to post on the same topic. Eve's poops haven't been mucousy, but she's been going from bright green, back to yellow, then to a greenish/yellow, etc. I was thinking it was a FM/HM problem, but I've been block feeding, so I don't know. I'll be following this thread.
December 26th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Yeah same here. Block feeding as well... But I'm also dealing with the color changes. its frustrating!
Kristen, she has seemed a bit fussy. Yesterday she cried a lot, for apparently no reason, except that she was gassy. Maybe she was in pain from that? But before yesterday she has seemed fine. Hopefully you are right and it's not an allergy. So do you think I should just keep eating normally until I talk with the dr?

December 26th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Ruby has days where her poop is mucousy but I don't bother. If it's severely mucousy, I would worry. But it's always been a normal part of my breastfed kids poops in rotation with the other types.
December 26th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Broccoli is REALLY hard on their bellies and u said u made broccoli cheese soup? Could be that?

Yes Jett has done much better since I slowed down on my dairy, but like Kristen said, I doubt Emmy would all of a sudden develop an allergy. Jett's poops go between yellow and green too.

December 26th, 2012, 08:34 AM
So I would just proceed as normal for now. Sometimes they get little GI upsets too. I really don't think you are experiencing an allergy.
JillMama likes this.
December 26th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Jett Also has runny poops and sometimes normal. This morning he had a normal poop then 2 hrs later he had a huge runny poop....

December 26th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Thank you both!!!!
What do you mean Jill with "normal" and then runny? Emmys are always very runny and watery... I swear I feel like I need to share pics of this. Lol. Are they not supposed to be runny?

December 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Madalyn's poop is always loose, but sometimes more liquidy ... Never "formed" like adult poop. We have such great conversations!

December 26th, 2012, 10:25 AM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds normal to me. I'd definitely ask at your appointment though, just to ease your mind. I'd only be worried if it was a TON. Mucusy, stringy, and seed looking things are all normal to see in their poop At least for Ares.. lol.

December 26th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Jinnah
We get runny (watery) poop here, at times, as well. Elijah's poop goes back and forth from greenish to yellow, also, and if I'm remembering correctly, so did my other babies.

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I might be able to help. My dd had a milk allergy from birth until a couple of years ago (when she was desensitized). I don't remember much about her poop, but she had different signs of a milk allergy. She got eczema within a month or two of birth and it got really bad. It was on her legs, arms, even her forehead. The doctor said some babies just get eczema, which is true, but as we later learned, hers was from food allergies. Another huge thing was when I tried to give her a bottle of formula when we were in a restaurant (I normally would have just nursed her, but for some reason I decided to try formula). She got hives on her chin! I think she also threw it up. She would rub her face on my shoulder all the time because it itched (I know babies do this when they are tired, but she seemed itchy to me). Once I was eating ice cream and I accidentally spilled some on her leg and it welted up. I told all of this to her pediatrician and she laughed and told me she isn't allergic to milk. I got a second opinion and he said she is allergic to milk and sent her to an allergist for testing. She turned out to be allergic to all sorts of things, including milk. This process took a year because the first pediatrician kept blowing me off even after writing "failure to thrive" in her medical records. My dd was TINY at the time and now we know it was her allergies doing it. That doctor didn't even try to figure out why she was so tiny... just thought it was hereditary. I'm glad I switched doctors!!! My dd is now allergy and eczema free (she was desensitized to some of the allergies and outgrew the rest). She is now taller than her older brother who is two years older!!!

Anyway, back to my point. From OUR experience, there are several signs of a milk allergy. It's a progressive thing, as in it gets worse over time if they continue to be exposed. If I had not gotten a second opinion, DD could have had serious reactions from continual exposure. As it was, she was exposed for over a year from my breastmilk and then her baby food. She got hives from that, too. The doctor was no help, so I just started avoiding things I thought caused her a problem and went for help elsewhere.

Poop changes can be a signal for an allergy, but the things you are describing sound like what everyone else is experiencing. What does the mucousy poop look like? You might have to take a picture!
December 26th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Wow thanks so much for sharing all that!! That was really helpful.
I'm so glad you trusted your gut and switched drs! How crazy that the first one kept blowing you off. That's terrible!!
It's hard to say what her poop looks like since it changes. But it used to be more like a pudding consistency and recently it's gotten more of a "slimy" consistency... I'll keep an eye on it I guess. Hopefully the dr will want to send some off to test, just to be sure!
Jinnah likes this.

December 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM
His "normal" poop is def still really loose, the one after was really watery

December 26th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
Wow thanks so much for sharing all that!! That was really helpful.
I'm so glad you trusted your gut and switched drs! How crazy that the first one kept blowing you off. That's terrible!!
It's hard to say what her poop looks like since it changes. But it used to be more like a pudding consistency and recently it's gotten more of a "slimy" consistency... I'll keep an eye on it I guess. Hopefully the dr will want to send some off to test, just to be sure!
No problem, glad I could help. Just mention it to the doctor to see what they say. Most doctors aren't as negligent as the one we had was.
December 26th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Her poo sounds totally normal for an exclusively breastfed baby. It can change depending on what you've eaten too, more acidic foods can cause unusual poops which result in a rash, etc and it doesn't always mean a problem.

We get seedy yellow, sometimes white clumps, sometimes green and spotty, and greenish yellow thin poo with nothing in it. All of it is normal, from my experience of nursing 3.

Since Ruby had eczema and puking we have been monitoring symptoms for allergies and was told that the eczema would more likely be all over and not just her face. And you'd also likely see a big red ring around her bum hole with an allergy. Projectile puking is common as well.

I can't believe you can't find a local le leche league. You should ask your birth center about it. I think you'd really benefit from it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search