Secure your furniture!

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2013, 01:36 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
This is being passed around FB and other message boards. I know our babies aren't mobile yet, but now is a good time to think about taking the necessary precautions to keep them safe when they are.

This story is long and I bawled from beginning to end. If you want to read the full story, it can be found here: Love, Light, Laughter and Chocolate - One Mom's Journey: Be with me. Just for today.

If you want the short version, PLEASE secure all of your furniture and TVs to the wall. Even lightweight or shorter pieces that you think are fine can tip over and crush or suffocate a child. Everything you need can be found at Lowe's for a few dollars, or you can order safety kits from Amazon. It doesn't take long; you don't need fancy tools. Don't put it off and think you'll do it later...make it your weekend project!
cincy1luv, Panda and JillMama like this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

January 4th, 2013, 02:31 PM
cincy1luv's Avatar 1st time mommy
So agree! We have been talking about getting things ready now!
January 4th, 2013, 03:34 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
We had a horrible scare with this when Josiah was little, just learning to pull up on things. We had just moved into our new house, and had secured the larger pieces of furniture to the walls, but had just moved a little 3 drawer Ikea dresser into our walk in closet for me to use for clothes and shoes storage. I had just filled the bottom drawer with all of my shoes, and it was still open. I was getting some things out of a moving box to put in the other two drawers when Josiah reached out and tried to pull up using the open bottom drawer. The whole dresser tipped. Thankfully, I caught the dresser mid-air and held on for dear life while yelling for DH to come help me. All the drawers flew forward, and Josiah got hit on the head with one of them, but thankfully was ok, just scared.Needless to say EVERYTHING got bolted down after that!

January 4th, 2013, 03:35 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Thank you for this. We have a few pieces of furniture that are not secured because I assumed my kids being older would not be pulling up on things. Clearly age doesn't matter in this regard. We'll be going to Home Depot tomorrow!
January 4th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Pageturner
oh, heartbreaking
January 4th, 2013, 06:06 PM
1InSummerland's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for sharing this. It made me cry. I can't imagine the pain this mother and their family must feel. We will be securing our furniture a.s.a.p.

Thank you, Bokkechick, for my beautiful siggy.
Group Leader for Face2 Face Fort Lee and Richmond Area.
Check out my blog! :-) and my blog for Jude.

January 4th, 2013, 07:48 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Yes I read this on fb. So, so terrible. I can't imagine. We will be securing all furniture too!

January 4th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Super Mommy
So sad! Thank you for posting, just had a chat with DH about what we need to secure.
January 4th, 2013, 11:24 PM
lovely.carlie's Avatar MaKinslie's Mommy
Read this on facebook as well... cried so hard..we will be securing soon enough. SOOO sad

June 15th, 2013, 01:00 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Bumping this...the twins are pulling up on everything, and it is a relief to know that they are safe while exploring their new skills.

If you haven't already gone thru every room in your house and secured the furniture, please do so. A little time and a few dollars can save a life

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

June 18th, 2013, 08:06 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After reading the comments, I'm not sure that I could read the article =( We were just talking about baby proofing the house yesterday. I'll look up how to secure furniture right now.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
June 18th, 2013, 10:25 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Yep, time to do a once over on the house. We have a few pieces that need to be secured since we rearranged some furniture between the time the house was fully baby proofed for Josiah and now. Jamison isn't pulling up just yet, but he is trying to pull open drawers, which is how we had the dresser incident with Josiah.

June 20th, 2013, 10:02 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
I need to secure our dressers. We moved them and did not secure them, again. Thanks for the reminder.

Jesus loving, SAHM to four children.
June 20th, 2013, 01:23 PM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
So sad!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search