Baby Sign Language?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Kansascity kitty
  • 1 Post By LucilleTwo
  • 2 Post By SLP83
  • 1 Post By smashley8
  • 1 Post By ~*rach*~
  • 1 Post By bryan and nina
  • 2 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 09:59 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Anyone doing sign language with their babies? Do you plan to? Do you use a specific program or process?

We started with Claire around 3-4 months, and I have started with the twins as well. Claire was such an early talker that we didn't end up using it very long. I'm excited to use it again

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

January 7th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Kansascity kitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yuppers . I am now starting them, using the sign for milk.
ShutterBabe likes this.

January 7th, 2013, 11:01 AM
ShutterBabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Right now we've been using "more" and "milk" with Keira. We didnt start with Carter until he was older, but it's habit now

January 7th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I sure do. I started when Jonah was a few weeks old. I don't use a specific program. I just sign everyday words...milk, more, bath, play, dog, cat, shoes, socks, mom, dad, happy, yes, no, all done, daddy's going to work, etc.

January 7th, 2013, 11:21 AM
mandattu_02's Avatar Mom to 2 beautiful babies
We started with Ryan around 4-5 months and still use it. We'll do the same with Madilyn as well.

**Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!**

January 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Just starting to do this. I got the books Baby Signing 123, and Let's sign baby as gifts.
January 7th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Teeniemama's Avatar Super Mommy
I have no idea about this. ??? Tell me more.

January 7th, 2013, 06:04 PM
ellinj0206's Avatar Mom to Alexandra Jane
Send a message via Skype™ to ellinj0206
For those of you who have used sign language before have you found that it might delay the verbal language process because the baby starts to rely more on signing than actually verbalizing? That has been my major hesitation with doing this.

January 7th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I have never done baby signing with my own kids but have at a school I worked at..I did'nt notice any delays. that's a great question.

January 7th, 2013, 06:37 PM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj0206 View Post
For those of you who have used sign language before have you found that it might delay the verbal language process because the baby starts to rely more on signing than actually verbalizing? That has been my major hesitation with doing this.
There is no evidence that shows that signing has any negative effects on speech. Sign language is essentially another language so the benefits are great. Children are able to communicate earlier which usually results in less frustrations and tantrums. Kids will automatically use whatever form of communication is easiest and in a typically developing child, speaking is easier than signing so as soon as they are able to communicate with words they will usually drop the signs.

Lila has a speech disorder and without going into too much detail, I can tell you that signing has been extremely helpful and even necessary. The signs help to "anchor" the words and help her to say them. I don't think there are any negatives to teaching a baby signs. It would be like saying "don't speak French to them" if your second language is French.

I just wanted to add that we didn't start signing with her until after we knew there were problems but I wish we would have started sooner. She also goes to a preschool run by the Speech Pathology Dept at the university and the teachers/SLP all sign with the kids.
Summerdays12 likes this.

Last edited by LucilleTwo; January 7th, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
January 7th, 2013, 06:43 PM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj0206 View Post
I'm a speech therapist and I TOTALLY encourage using baby signs! If anything it can help speed verbal language along. It empowers babies to communicate more specific needs and makes communication more effective and less frustrating. When they are able to use the words, they'll choose those over signs every time
Teeniemama and Summerdays12 like this.
January 7th, 2013, 06:57 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a speech therapist and in my opinion, I would tell people not to have ANY fear about this causing language delays. Babies and children have the amazing ability to learn multiple forms of communicate at once, which is why it is great to start foreign languages when they are little, too! I really believe that children who have language/speech delays would have them regardless of the steps their parents have taken up until that point - I have seen so many bright, intelligent little ones who have SO much receptive/auditory comprehension but struggle with their expressive language. Of course it's important that you don't just strictly use sign language, and keep encouraging them to use their speech - but I think most of the women here won't have any problem with those things!
Summerdays12 likes this.

January 7th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Peytonsmomma
i do not do sign language with my children....
January 7th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep I plan it. I did with my other two and it us great. It is so cute to watch them sign. I lived when my girls did the sleepy sign.
Summerdays12 likes this.

January 7th, 2013, 07:36 PM
ellinj0206's Avatar Mom to Alexandra Jane
Send a message via Skype™ to ellinj0206
Thank you for he responses. I do have some DVDs a friend gave to me that teach sign language. I might check this out a little more.

January 7th, 2013, 07:37 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Yes we are doing signs as well. So far I've just introduced diaper and milk but once she gets those, I will do more. I read you are supposed to start with just a few to keep it more simple. I'm excited for her to start signing back although I know that is months away.
Summerdays12 likes this.

January 7th, 2013, 09:11 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to! How do you start? I always knew that was something I'd like to try, but didn't know you could start this young!

January 8th, 2013, 03:28 AM
michellelove0502's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won't be signing with Jayden, just don't really see the need to but he will be learning a second language which is Spanish. Two children in DF family learn sign language at their day care and I don't really see the benefits because most times they don't even use the sign language unless their parents ask them to do it and both children didnt start really talking until around 2 so I didn't notice abenefit there, whereas my niece didnt learn to sign and she began talking when she started walking around 8 months and started talking in sentences around 1, so hopefully Jayden takes after her.

By the way ellinj, what part of Jersey are you from? We lived in Jersey too before we came to school in Delaware.

January 8th, 2013, 05:43 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I love that so many are doing sign language! Awesome!

Leanna, you don't need a special program or anything specifically for babies. Just pick a few signs that are most helpful (milk, diaper, more, etc.) and be consistent about using them. Here is a great website:

100 first signs: American Sign Language (ASL)

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

January 8th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltMommy View Post
I want to! How do you start? I always knew that was something I'd like to try, but didn't know you could start this young!
This is the website I use
Sign for DIAPER | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search