School shootings O/T

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 1 Post By Jinnah
  • 4 Post By ashley5
  • 1 Post By hiskid1324

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2013, 06:09 PM
GiaTortilla's Avatar FTM to a princess
Can I just say I'm pretty scared to send Riah to a public school every day? There was another school shooting at a high school not too far from me, 2 people were shot I believe. This worries me because the school is so close, it makes crazy to think it could happen somewhere even closer. I'm having strong thoughts about some of kind of charter school or home schooling, I can't imagine losing my daughter this makes me so sad!

Gia - young mommy to a beautiful princess and wife to one amazing man.
6.24.10/9.24.12./5.25.13 we're married!
January 10th, 2013, 06:16 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I am for the first time considering a home schooling co op for my oldest.
cincy1luv and Jinnah like this.
January 10th, 2013, 06:20 PM
cincy1luv's Avatar 1st time mommy
I am so with you! Its so scary!
January 10th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Jinnah
For those of you who want to homeschool, but are worried about taking on such a load, you can always have the kids do online school. My oldest two are doing that this year (I knew homeschooling with a newborn would be difficult, so I just teach the youngest). It is so easy for me and perfect for them.

It ranges from K12 and Connections Academy, which are free, to A Beka (which is what we use, but it's not free).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
I am for the first time considering a home schooling co op for my oldest.
You would do really well with homeschooling.
Janey_3 likes this.
January 10th, 2013, 08:38 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
We are hoping to send Josiah to a co-op public school. They have strong requirements for A LOT of parent involvement. If he can't get in there (it's a lottery system), then I am seriously considering homeschooling, or sending him to a small Lutheran kindergarten. I have been SO impressed with his preschool's response to the shootings. They have decided to put in security doors so that the only way you can even GET into the preschool is with a special key fob. They plan to have the new security system in place within the next few months. I am thrilled, since the preschool meets in the same building as one of our largest local food banks, and there aren't always the most upstanding people upstairs where the food bank is. I have always felt Josiah was completely safe in the downstairs contained preschool, but this will add extra protection and security.

January 10th, 2013, 09:41 PM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As hard as it is I don't want to react in fear. I'm not afraid or second guessing where I'm going to send my child. I look at it like this, I can't protect my babies all the time, unfortunately I can't keep them in a bubble. There's a better chance of them getting in a car accident then hurt from a school shooting. Just like that crazy guy that shoot up a movie theater isn't going to stop me from going to the movies.
January 10th, 2013, 10:38 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I think for me, I knew I didn't have an interest in sending them to a public school in the younger grades, and the recent events just solidified my feelings.

January 11th, 2013, 03:42 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I'm so on the fence about this. I've never liked public schools but I doubt we can afford private. I would LOVE to homeschool but Bryan isn't on board with that.
Sarah, your school sounds amazing!!

January 11th, 2013, 05:48 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our daughter is in a great public school with security doors, she just left a charter school with no security at all. Anyone could have walked right in and done anything.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
January 11th, 2013, 05:58 AM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My university had locking doors. Don't know why all of them don't :/
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

January 11th, 2013, 06:00 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both my boys are in a private Christian academy with security doors but I know when we move they'll have to go to public school because we won't be able to afford private, especially not for all 4 of them. I can't live in fear. The school in CT that got shot up had security doors too. I'd rather not homeschool but am thinking about it for my oldest. He's being evaluated for dyslexia and although the school he's in now is really great who knows how things will go when we move and he's in a public school with bigger class sizes (there's only 15 in his first grade class).

As much as I would like to I can't shelter my kids forever. They need to go out into the world, they need to do things. I can't be afraid at every turn that something might happen to them as soon as they leave my sight or are in someone else's care.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

January 11th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wednesday affirmed my resolve that my kids wil never attend a school. There was a shooting beside a local elementary school which put the school on lockdown, and then an alleged hit list at a local high school so police wanded every kid going in and had 4 officers on campus the whole day!
GiaTortilla likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search