that scream...

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So you all know, I think, that Savina's pedi could already see her teeth under the gum at her 2 weeks well visit. He told us they're not moving anywhere, they're just there. And he showed me--they're definitely there.

A couple times I thought she may have been teething because she was crying in pain, and nothing else was going on (not gassy or anything at the time).

Today I'm realizing maybe back then it was something different alltogether. Why? Because today was the scariest moment ever:

DH went to put our Savinababy to sleep for an afternoon nap. We darkened the room, since she seems to have difficulty staying asleep in daylight. And we use white noise. She wakes easily without it.

I was researching something online for a boardgame we were playing.

I heard her crying, figured well it's taking a while for her to settle, as usual. She cries for a while when she's overtired and wants the boob to fall asleep.

After some time, I started getting concerned and figured, fine I'll nurse her to sleep. So I started heading to the nursery, but DH was already coming out of her room, holding her. Only then was it that I could truly hear her. --- she was screaming horribly!!! I mean, screaming, not crying. She was catching a short breath just to burst out a short, super-painful sounding scream. As someone who can tell her baby's cries apart, I was terrified. I have never heard her scream in this manner before, ever. I did keep my calm though quite well, amazingly enough, while DH was totally freaking out. I told him to try to keep his calm, because Savina will just feed off of that and fuel her screams.

I have this bad feeling this may have actually been teething pain... what do you think?

She cried one more time a little while after she finally settled (I was pressing on her lower gum, which seemed to initiate that cry, but that may have just been coincidence, I don't know). Then a while later she got a little whiny, and then she was finally okay for the rest of the day.

I'll call the pedi tomorrow morning, but what do you ladies think?

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
January 20th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Reed scratches his self and screams. Did you notice a scratch on her? Does she chew on her fingers any? I think Reed scratches the inside of his mouth as well. I can't keep up with his nails.

January 20th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
she didn't scratch herself, but I recently shortened her nails too. she did have a pretty good scratch near her eye before I got around to shortening them. but that was a while ago now, it's already healed.

She chews on her hands since weeks. In the last few days she's been trying to shove both fists into her mouth. Today for the first time she tried to put her fist in her mouth while she was on my breast!! I was like, uh uh, either fist or breast, both doesn't work, hunny!

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
January 20th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor Savina and poor Mommy and Daddy! Sean has only screamed when we had thrush and he was in pain from that.

January 20th, 2013, 09:42 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
It could definitely be teething, although we only got those screams with the molars... those SUCK!

January 21st, 2013, 03:22 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Luyando screams when she is really tired and needs to sleep. The first couple of times, I looked at her thoroughly to be sure something was not cutting her or inflicting pain on her (that's how she sounds). Now, I just let her be and rock her to sleep. She's always been a very noisy and dramatic baby so it didn't just start out of the blues though. Hope you figure out what it is soon. Hugs.

Sisters, friends forever
January 21st, 2013, 04:42 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Oh my gosh. So sorry Elli. it sounds like it could be teething pain if all else is ruled out. maybe the pedi can check her gums real quick today... Sorry mama!

January 21st, 2013, 08:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww. Poor baby. Maybe she was overtired and something little set her off and really got her going? When Eve is tired if anything so much as touches her head she totally loses it. I mean all out screaming like we're pinching her or something. I hope your LO is better today.
January 21st, 2013, 08:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Meghan screams like that when she is constipated. Wakes up shrieking out of a dead sleep. Big hugs!

January 21st, 2013, 10:56 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
That stinks. Definitely sounds like pain. Ruby gets like that with gas.
January 21st, 2013, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies, you're awesome!

I know how Savina screams when she has tummy ache or gas... this was completely different ugh I wish I could describe it better... this is how I described it on my blog today:
"She wasn’t crying… she was screaming. Quick short bouts of scream. She breathed just to get the strength to burst out another scream. How would I describe her scream? Rushed. They were quick successions of pain-shouts. She sounded like she wanted to say, Mommy, now, now, it hurts, it hurts, now, right now!"

I called the pedi this morning (of course it's Martin Luther King Day and they had only emergency staff, so her pedi wasn't in).

The nurse said, as long as she has no fever, feeds well, pees well, she’s physically fine. All she could think of is that maybe Savina heard herself scream like that, realized she was able to scream like that, and just continued to scream like that because she found out that she could. Well… that’s encouraging. Jeez!

I’m no doctor but I will keep checking her gums for redness and such. She seems happy today, so who knows.

January 23rd, 2013, 05:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
oh yea, and the nurse asked if I'd noticed anything else, and I said, well she seems to be arching her back more than usual. And the nurse answered: well that might be something she just does.

uh... what kind of answer is that? o.O

January 24th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
really thinking teething here... but still not 100% sure. ever since that scream she's been more irritable than before. Also, she's always been a bad sleeper, but she's having an even harder time sleeping atm. Yesterday for the first time she wouldn't sleep her 4-5 hours at about 6/7pm that she does every day. She woke up after an hour or so and wouldn't go back to sleep. Gave her gripe water and left her in the bedroom with us, and she finally fell asleep deeply.
She seems to be tired all day yesterday and today but has a hard time sleeping.
She also seems to want to be on my boob all day.
Today she was irritable pretty much the whole day. She had a crying fit about 1.5 hours ago. I pressed on her lower gum (I did this twice) and she cried even harder then. That alone should probably be telling enough, but still not sure... the gums aren't reddened or anything.
I rubbed Hyland teething gel on her lower gum, went in the darkened nursery and rocked her to white noise. She dozed off for about 30 min. and when she woke up she was calm and happy and has been since.

So what do you think?

Also, she doesn't seem to understand how to use teething rings and the like. Any ideas?

January 24th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think they're on the young side for teething rings. I read on Kellymom to freeze breastmilk in the baby popsicle makers or in a baby mesh feeder and give that to help with teething. You'd have to hold it in her mouth.

Poor Savina!

January 25th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
never thought of that, what a great idea! thanks Robyn.

although this morning I know why I was unsure last night. she had a load of poo coming and some of it was a little bit solid... maybe not teething after all!!! (she had a hard time sleeping again around 6-7 last night)

Last edited by Lav; January 25th, 2013 at 06:02 AM.
January 25th, 2013, 06:04 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Robyn, that's such an awesome idea!! Any suggestions for how to get it into the mesh feeder? We have those but I'm not sure how I'd get the milk to stay in there in order to freeze it? Guess you could put it in an ice cube tray first?

Elli, maybe she was just a bit constipated! Was she squirming a lot when she was fussing?

January 25th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
well last night she was crying in pain. I read that breastmilk acts as a laxative---that would explain her wanting to be on the boob every hour!

the only thing that baffles me is the fact that she cried harder (twice!!) when I pressed on her lower gums. The Hyland gel didn't seem to help her when I put it on her lower gum but later that night DH told me to put it in other areas too, so I put it on all of her gum and she shut right up!

what's a mesh feeder?!

January 25th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Pageturner
It's this little mesh pocket that you can put things like fruit in so they can suck on it.
January 25th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
Robyn, that's such an awesome idea!! Any suggestions for how to get it into the mesh feeder? We have those but I'm not sure how I'd get the milk to stay in there in order to freeze it? Guess you could put it in an ice cube tray first?

Elli, maybe she was just a bit constipated! Was she squirming a lot when she was fussing?
Exactly...freeze in a tray first then transfer to the mesh thing. I got a pack of those a few weeks ago and was thing of putting frozen bm in there for when Jonah starts teething!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search