Traveling

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By yashobo
  • 2 Post By Belita
  • 1 Post By Summerdays12
  • 1 Post By doremi
  • 1 Post By michellelove0502
  • 1 Post By mandattu_02
  • 1 Post By yashobo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
In a few weeks we are going to Texas for 3 nights and 4 days. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Our whole routine will be messed up. I'm going to have to nurse at the airport and during the 3 hour flight. Luckily, we will be in first class so I will be more comfortable nursing. I'm just thinking about all the crap we have to schlep with us! Car seat, stroller, pump, diaper bag, etc. I'm afraid we are going to be those people who hold up the security line. Anyone travel with your baby yet?? Any tips?

January 24th, 2013, 04:12 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I traveled with Luyando, dd1 (age 3), and my mom in December on 26-hour trip to Australia We had to carry everything you described and dd's play stuff and snacks too. However, I checked her stroller and both of their car seats in. I wore her at the airport. It was easier for me to have my hands free to carry my carry on. People are usually very helpful and patient when they see you have little ones. Even the host/hostesses on our 14-hr flight from LA to Aussie were so supportive and nice. Her schedule will definitely be messed up but it will eventually settle back. Don't worry too much about it; it eventually works out well and once you've done it you have confidence for your next trip
Peytonsmomma likes this.

Sisters, friends forever
January 24th, 2013, 05:04 PM
After I posted I thought of you! I was wondering about checking the car seat and stuff.i didn't know I could and that will be helpful. I'm concerned about Jonah's little ears

January 24th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you have to pump? We're flying to FL and I plan to just leave my pump at home and forgo pumping while we're there.

My friend has flown with her 5 month old daughter twice and here are some of her tips:

1. Learn how to install the car seat without the base so you don't have to travel with the base. (her base got beat up and she had to buy a new one)
2. gate-check the stroller and carseat. They is less bumping around for things that are gate checked.
3. put each outfit in a ziplock bag so it's easy to find all the teeny tiny pieces.
4. nurse or have him suck on a pacifier during take-off and landing to help the ears pop.
mandattu_02 and Summerdays12 like this.

January 24th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I don't have to pump but I know we will be going to many different places and it might be easier to bring a bottle. Nurse during take off and landing...good tip

January 24th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Yes, sucking some thing (paci, nipple, bottle) helps their ears. I found it less cumbersome to use my manual pump on the plane although I also carried my electric one with me since I didn't trust them not to break it. If you don't do a lot of pumping and just need a bottle here or there, and if you have a small manual, I'll take that instead.

The chair and stroller can be checked at the counter or at the gate. Depending on whether you want them during your lay over. For me, the less stuff I worry about the better. So I check them in all the way through.

Also, if you can, keep your diaper bag under your seat so that you don't keep getting up to get something or the other. With dd1, we always changed her in our seat (we often had the 2 or 3 seats to ourselves) and it was never poop. With Luyando, the hostess said the changing had to be done in the restroom. I was changing her in the little baby bassinet they had installed for her and it was just a wet diaper. Luckily I was done when she saw me. She eventually pooped just as we landed in Australia so I still had to change her in the restroom but at least the plane had landed so no bumping around.

Sisters, friends forever
January 24th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I was going to ask about diaper changes! Jonah ALWAYS poops when we are out and about and I just know he will have the mother of all poops 30,000 miles up in the air lol.
abur likes this.

January 24th, 2013, 07:09 PM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^ omg same!!!!!!! Worst timed poops EVER! literal little stinkers lol have a fun and safe trip and I hope it is relatively hassle free for you guys!
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

January 24th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abur View Post
^ omg same!!!!!!! Worst timed poops EVER! literal little stinkers lol have a fun and safe trip and I hope it is relatively hassle free for you guys!
Thanks!!!

January 24th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerdays12 View Post
I was going to ask about diaper changes! Jonah ALWAYS poops when we are out and about and I just know he will have the mother of all poops 30,000 miles up in the air lol.
The plane I was on had a changing space in the toilet but don't think the little ones that ply my small city in the US had a changing table. Luyando was pooping every 3-5 days then and still chose that day in the plane to poop so the probability is high for you I just took the diaper, the wipes, and the aquafor with me to the restroom. Its a bit hard finding a clean space in the restroom to put the diaper bag down and coordinating everything in a cramped space is tough.

Sisters, friends forever
January 24th, 2013, 09:00 PM
It will be interesting that's for sure..I'll be sure to post a story all about Jonah pooping up in the sky

January 24th, 2013, 10:29 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I'm flying to CA this Saturday with Jamison for my grandmother's funeral. Here are some of the things I'm doing:

1. I called the airlines and told them I was bringing a baby in arms, and since I'm traveling with my Mom, brother, and SIL, they put us all in one row with a seat in between each of us. The lady said that this will essentially guarantee that I will be able to bring the carseat onboard, because as long as one of those seats stays open, they will have me put Jamison in the open seat next to the window (far safer than carrying on lap).
2. I decided to bring frozen breastmilk instead of a pump. I bought this bag to carry it in, and will add an extra gel pack to it:
Amazon.com: PackIt Freezable Lunch Bag, Indigo Stripe: Kitchen & Dining
3. Since it's such a short trip for us and I will have so much family around, I decided not to bring our stroller, and to wear him in the boba wrap at the airport and on the plane if needed.
4. Doing a footed sleeper with hand mitts for Jamison on the flight so he will stay warm, and his hands will stay protected from germs, and so that he can ride comfortably in the carrier without his pants hiking up.

I'm going to check one large bag with my clothes, a pack of diapers, and Jamisons portable travel bed (small, only weighs 4lbs). My carryon will be my large diaper bag with wipes, diapers, Jamison's clothes, the frozen breast milk, meds, and toiletries.
Summerdays12 likes this.

January 24th, 2013, 10:35 PM
michellelove0502's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We went to mexico on vacation for 5 days and DF mom did most of the things these ladies suggested. Good luck!!!
Summerdays12 likes this.

January 25th, 2013, 01:54 PM
mandattu_02's Avatar Mom to 2 beautiful babies
Ditto to everything the other girls have said.

I traveled with Ryan a lot when he was little and often by myself. I took the stoller with me. If you do that, just make sure they gate check it. They put it under on our flight to NC and we ended up buying a new stroller bc/they ruined the legs & wheels on it. For a carseat, we got one from where we rented our car from. It was easier for us to do that than fly with it.

I know that Southwest has changing stations in the restrooms....it folds out over the toilet. VERY cramped for space! We always changed him in the seat if we had to and he never pooped during any of our flights (thank goodness!).

Make sure that you have a copy of babys birth certificate with you when you go to check in & security check. (Did you know they make wallet sized birth certificate copies now? Its perfect!)

Also, any liquid (formula/BM), lotion, diaper lotion, etc that is in the diaper bag, has to come out (at least they made us take it all out) to go through the security check.
Summerdays12 likes this.

**Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!**

January 25th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandattu_02 View Post
Ditto to everything the other girls have said.

I traveled with Ryan a lot when he was little and often by myself. I took the stoller with me. If you do that, just make sure they gate check it. They put it under on our flight to NC and we ended up buying a new stroller bc/they ruined the legs & wheels on it. For a carseat, we got one from where we rented our car from. It was easier for us to do that than fly with it.

I know that Southwest has changing stations in the restrooms....it folds out over the toilet. VERY cramped for space! We always changed him in the seat if we had to and he never pooped during any of our flights (thank goodness!).

Make sure that you have a copy of babys birth certificate with you when you go to check in & security check. (Did you know they make wallet sized birth certificate copies now? Its perfect!)

Also, any liquid (formula/BM), lotion, diaper lotion, etc that is in the diaper bag, has to come out (at least they made us take it all out) to go through the security check.
I want a wallet sized BC! I didn't even think of bringing his..thanks for the tip we are flying United I think.. I'll check there site and see about changing stations. We're not renting a car do we have to bring his car seat.

January 25th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Its interesting how states differ. We don't have wallet sized birth certificate in WV. And our airport folks don't check for birth certificate. I was surprised at how they just take your word for it that the child is yours. The only time they check is if it's an international destination and the baby needs a visa (and hence a passport). I also thought they should be checking to be sure the child belongs to the person travelling to prevent kidnapping but I have never been asked for within the country travel. Maybe because its a small airport; we barely have 10 gates
Summerdays12 likes this.

Sisters, friends forever
January 25th, 2013, 08:42 PM
I have traveled with my two older kids and have never been asked for a BC before. I'm bringing Jonah's just in case!

January 25th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I heard to bring the BC too.

January 25th, 2013, 10:34 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
That is one thing we forgot to do when we got home from the hospital...order the birth certificate! We still don't have one for Jamison. When I talked to the airlines, they said we will be fine, that they usually only ask for it if there is a question of whether they are under age 2, and with a three month old, there isn't going to be a problem. I think I'll take something from his last appt. just so I have proof of his birthdate and age. We leave first thing in the morning!

January 25th, 2013, 10:40 PM
I am sure you will have no problems and your flight will go smooth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search