Cradle Cap update***post 17

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Jonah's cradle cap is never going to go away I've done all the remedies and his poor little scalp is so dry and scaley. Coconut oil, avocado oil...it only helps temporarily. He has even learned to scratch it,..so it must itch. Anyone else's baby have this?

Last edited by Summerdays12; March 3rd, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
February 28th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Madalyn has the dry flaky skin between her eyebrows. Doesn't seem to bother her, so we just leave it. We wash her face, but don't do anything special.
Summerdays12 likes this.

February 28th, 2013, 04:16 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I'm sorry Erin. poor little Jonah.
Did you leave the coconut oil in there for a while? Seems like I even read over night? And then scrub it good in the tub with a washcloth. I think it was Leanna with Ares that said she left the wet washcloth on the head for a while and that loosened the scales up really well. But I guess it sounds like your problem is keeping it from coming back, right?
Emmy doesn't have it bad at all; just a tiny bit so I'm not much help.
Summerdays12 likes this.

February 28th, 2013, 06:03 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
connor has it terribal to the point it was growing I guess you call it inside his ears on his checks and down his neck we whould treat it every day tried everything from oil to dandruff shamoo and he whould still have it and gouge himself from scratching.....his pedi gave him a medicated shampoo and a topical cream and its the only thing weve really had and progress with he still has it but sometimes we go 2 or 3 days now without any visable and he barelly scratches even whe he gets a patch on his head agin now.
Summerdays12 likes this.

February 28th, 2013, 06:19 AM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hannah has it :/ I put some jojoba oil on it and combed her head and scalp but even after that, a bath with 5 minutes of scrubbing her scalp during a shampoo, and combing again, it is still there! I'd say her is mild though and doesn't seem to bother her much. But I keep reading conflicting advice (shampoo everyday vs. A few times a week). I've had more luck with shampooing more often! I hope it goes away or they grow out of it soon!
Summerdays12 likes this.
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

February 28th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGurl View Post
connor has it terribal to the point it was growing I guess you call it inside his ears on his checks and down his neck we whould treat it every day tried everything from oil to dandruff shamoo and he whould still have it and gouge himself from scratching.....his pedi gave him a medicated shampoo and a topical cream and its the only thing weve really had and progress with he still has it but sometimes we go 2 or 3 days now without any visable and he barelly scratches even whe he gets a patch on his head agin now.
Jonah's is this bad. It's behind his little ears too. His head is so bumpy. A couple weeks ago it was so bad that it was oozing yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by abur View Post
Hannah has it :/ I put some jojoba oil on it and combed her head and scalp but even after that, a bath with 5 minutes of scrubbing her scalp during a shampoo, and combing again, it is still there! I'd say her is mild though and doesn't seem to bother her much. But I keep reading conflicting advice (shampoo everyday vs. A few times a week). I've had more luck with shampooing more often! I hope it goes away or they grow out of it soon!
I have more luck shampooing daily also..if not it gets out of control.

February 28th, 2013, 08:03 PM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you tried hydrocortisone?

My mom is in pediatric dermatology, that is typically their recommended treatment. Put some hydrocortisone on his head about 30 minutes or so before giving him a bath, then when you have the shampoo on his head take a soft toothbrush and gently brush the affected areas. I have done this with Nora and it works well. Only problem is I have to wash her hair multiple times to get the ointment out, but it's the same with olive oil (which I also tried and got no results from).

It does come back, but it keeps it at bay for about a week or 2.
Summerdays12 likes this.
February 28th, 2013, 09:00 PM
ellinj0206's Avatar Mom to Alexandra Jane
Send a message via Skype™ to ellinj0206
Alexandra has it, but it's slowly starting to get better. I brush her hair each day with baby oil and every other day we wash with Selsun blue.

February 28th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP83 View Post

My mom is in pediatric dermatology, that is typically their recommended treatment. Put some hydrocortisone on his head about 30 minutes or so before giving him a bath, then when you have the shampoo on his head take a soft toothbrush and gently brush the affected areas. I have done this with Nora and it works well. Only problem is I have to wash her hair multiple times to get the ointment out, but it's the same with olive oil (which I also tried and got no results from).

I have not. He got a script for it for his eczema but never used it as I was able to get it under control myself. I may try this..thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
I'm sorry Erin. poor little Jonah.
Did you leave the coconut oil in there for a while? Seems like I even read over night? And then scrub it good in the tub with a washcloth. I think it was Leanna with Ares that said she left the wet washcloth on the head for a while and that loosened the scales up really well. But I guess it sounds like your problem is keeping it from coming back, right?
Emmy doesn't have it bad at all; just a tiny bit so I'm not much help.
I have left the coconut on over night After his baths he's good..flake free. I use the wash cloth and that works well. By mid morning the next day all the flakes and bumps return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj0206 View Post
Alexandra has it, but it's slowly starting to get better. I brush her hair each day with baby oil and every other day we wash with Selsun blue.
I got Selsum Blue but have not tried it yet. I was going to ask if anyone has used it on their babies.

February 28th, 2013, 09:27 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I had to use T Gel on her head... I wet her hair and put the shampoo in and brushed it a bunch while wet with her soft brush, let it sit for a minute, rinsed, repeat. Did this for about 3 days in a row and it cleared up a bunch. You can see it a tiny bit in certain lighting, but it's mostly gone.
Summerdays12 likes this.
February 28th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Is T Gel like Selsum Blue?

I went and got some Mustela baby shampoo that's for cradle cap...we will see if it helps

March 1st, 2013, 05:53 AM
Another thing my mom's boss (the dermatologist) warned...

Be careful with the dandruff shampoos (like Selson). She said that for the most part they are fine and may or may not help, but if the cradle cap is a serious case it could burn their scalps when you put it on. I would assume it's a pretty serious case when there is some oozing involved, but other than that I don't know how to tell what's "serious" and what isn't so I've stayed away from it.

Good luck, can't wait until all of our babies have kicked this nasty thing
JillMama and Summerdays12 like this.

Last edited by SLP83; March 1st, 2013 at 05:56 AM.
March 1st, 2013, 06:59 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jett had it too. We did the leave the shampoo on his head with a wash cloth thing. Then I put coconut oil on it and brushed it, and left it on until his next bath..
Summerdays12 likes this.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
March 1st, 2013, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Another thing my mom's boss (the dermatologist) warned...

Be careful with the dandruff shampoos (like Selson). She said that for the most part they are fine and may or may not help, but if the cradle cap is a serious case it could burn their scalps when you put it on. I would assume it's a pretty serious case when there is some oozing involved, but other than that I don't know how to tell what's "serious" and what isn't so I've stayed away from it.

Good luck, can't wait until all of our babies have kicked this nasty thing
Good advice, thank you! I can't wait until all of our babies rid of this too!!!

March 1st, 2013, 08:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
Allison still has it pretty bad on her eyebrows and a bit on her head. Poor little peanut looks like a reptile lol
Summerdays12 likes this.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/30/15! It's A Girl!

March 1st, 2013, 10:52 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Yeah there was no oozing when I used dandruff shampoo. I wouldn't use that on oozing skin, good point!

Maybe it's not cradle cap and its true eczema. Ruby had it on her ear and it was very angry looking... Oozing and crusty and red. I may try and get something prescribed for it if I were you.
March 3rd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Quote:

update****
Thank you for this tip...Jonah's cradle cap is almost completely gone. I did get cradle cap shampoo but it wasn't helping. Then I did the hydrocortisone and the next day all the yellow oozing was gone..no more red bumps. He only has some flakes and he is not scratching anymore!! He's so much more comfortable

Last edited by Summerdays12; March 3rd, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
March 3rd, 2013, 04:41 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Awesome!! Im so happy to hear he is more comfortable.
Summerdays12 likes this.

March 3rd, 2013, 07:40 PM
Great news, come back to me with any more skin questions, I've got the dermatologic hookup
Summerdays12 likes this.
March 3rd, 2013, 09:09 PM
I will for sure!!! Thank you again so much

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search