First time moms---what has surprised you in your new role as mom?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By ellinj0206
  • 1 Post By Belita
  • 2 Post By cincy1luv
  • 1 Post By Pageturner
  • 1 Post By JillMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2013, 06:33 AM
ellinj0206's Avatar Mom to Alexandra Jane
Send a message via Skype™ to ellinj0206
I often think to myself that my new role as mommy has come with many surprises, including how my LO has grown in four short months. These are my surprise and "wow" moments:

*First things first---a pain med free childbirth with pitocin to get the contractions amped up and handling it without a scream, cry or getting "mean"...I am woman, hear me roar!! Haha

*I can do soooo many things with just one available hand; and often use my right hand like a pro (I'm a lefty)

*I have learned so much sometimes with fear of trying and messing up, but I've gained so much more confidence.

*I have lost the ability to get grossed out by much. Baby poop on my fingers, picking boogies from a nose, having spit up on my shirt/in my hair...none of it phases me.

*Sleeping until 5:30 really IS a treat!

*Take the time it used to take you to get out the door...multiply by three...welcome to traveling with baby!

*It is AMAZING to see your baby grow and learn things...sometimes without even teaching them! Rolling over still amazes me!

*Wet, opened mouth kisses (sometimes with tongue---often after a spit up) are beautiful and always welcomed.

*The love I give to and receive from my little girl is unlike any I've ever felt or experienced.

*Even at 1, 2, 3, 4 months old babies can be little "hams" and do things that they know will get a laugh. They also know to work these same talents for extra hugs, kisses and long cuddle sessions.

*Baby toys have a striking resemblance to dog and cat toys...bright colors/crinkly textures/bells or chimes inside.

What about you?
cincy1luv, Belita and JillMama like this.

February 28th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You covered it pretty well!

Even when the baby sleeps through the night you won't.

Your favorite thing to do is watch them play and discover new things.

You will have more conversations about poop and pee than you ever thought possible.

You're immediately in this mom club where you end up talking about your birth experiences with detail you never imagined you'd go into before you gave birth.
ellinj0206 likes this.

February 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM
cincy1luv's Avatar 1st time mommy
You did cover it pretty well!

I have learned patiences.

Peeing with one hand

5-10 min showers if i am lucky

What makes her happy (this girl will fight sleep because shes nosey and I have learned how to get her to just go!! )

Wash dishes with one hand/baby strapped on me

Carry laundry and a baby!! lol! ( this is bad if dh is not home I go to the clean clothes out and put Adrianna in the basket she dont seem to mind!! lol)

Eat one handed

She has really just made me a better and happier person all around and I have learned how to do so many things!! I am really ready to take the next step in having a new born and 11 month old. Some days I know I will want to run away but I really enjoy my no sleep, spit up on, laughs, cuddle time...I know it wont last forever so i am so soaking it up!
ellinj0206 and Belita like this.

Last edited by cincy1luv; February 28th, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
February 28th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Pageturner
So many things...eating with a baby on my lap, spraying poop off diapers, open mouth kisses, a bigger bag for the baby than myself, learning to wrap a moby, carrying laundry one handed, basically how to time my entire morning so we get out the door on time lol!
February 28th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Super Mommy
That I actually pop up instantly the second I hear Mikey cry. Total sleepy head!

February 28th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Pageturner
Oh another thing is it's totally normal for me to just randomly sniff his butt to see if he pooped. lol
Catherines mommy likes this.
February 28th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Hahaha I do the same thing. The other day I thought she pooped and realized it was the hard boiled egg my DH was eating.

February 28th, 2013, 09:10 PM
michellelove0502's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You covered it well. I cannot believe how painless birth was and I feel dumb for even asking for the epidural and just my luck it did not even take and I got pitocin as well and never cried none of the staff could believe it. I cannot believe how much of an easy carefree baby Jayden is. I cannot believe how much he has grown and how beautiful he is. I thought all of this was going to be a lot harder than it is and I cannot wait to have another baby!

February 28th, 2013, 09:14 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You ladies covered it!

What I love the most though is seeing his little brain develop learning new things. Also the love in his eyes when he sees his big sister is heart melting.

For myself, patience.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
March 1st, 2013, 04:33 AM
I agree about the patience thing. The level of patience I still somehow possess when I am seriously lacking sleep is amazing.

March 1st, 2013, 10:10 AM
Super Mommy
Wow, lots of good ones above!

I am surprised that no matter how tired or stressed I am, a little smile or grin from Eabha and it all melts away! :-)

I can't believe how early their little personalities develop- she is super mischievous already and gets such a sparkle in her eye. She is totally determined when there is something she wants to try and perseveres until she gets it. She is a total chatterbox and I love how much she really engages with us. I also am learning so much through her - it's so cool to see all the new things she is experiencing and learning and to wonder at myself all that she has achieved already. I love that every little milestone is such a huge cause for celebration :-) I was surprised at how quickly she learned social cues and how to play people - she knows exactly when to turn on the charm lol!

I am DEFINITELY surprised at how quickly I felt broody after having her! We were so lucky with her and I feel so grateful. :-)
March 2nd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Yes, those little personalities are already quite developed. Thus far I have surmised that Alexandra is going to be a real ham and probably quite a funny little thing.

March 2nd, 2013, 07:48 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's surprising how fast I can get things done during his naps and how long it can take me to get stuff done while he's awake.
ellinj0206 likes this.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search