Activities/games

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Summerdays12
  • 1 Post By Belita
  • 1 Post By Shamogue
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 1 Post By ellinj0206
  • 1 Post By babymama10

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2013, 04:12 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I would like to hear some games or activities that you guys do with your LOs. I feel like I need to do more to stimulate emmy's development. Maybe I don't, but I'd just like to hear if there are some recommendations you can share. We play on her activity mat a bit each day and she has gotten really good at grabbing what she wants!
She is awake so much more during the day and sometimes it almost feels like I'm not sure what I should be doing with her. Lol. I want to make sure I make her awake time count, you know? I also read books in English and German to her...
TIA for the input!

March 1st, 2013, 04:18 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The kind of activities I do with Hunter would be laying him on his tummy having him try and grab at his toy. Or lay him on his back and do bicycle movements with his legs, and grab his hands and lift him up into the sitting position then back down on the floor like a baby situp. I guess those are activities. Since he's not really playing with toys and doesn't interact like he will when he's 9months old, there's really not a whole lot of activities we do with him besides that. lol he just kinda chills on his play mat or in the swing besides that.
March 1st, 2013, 05:43 AM
Pageturner
Activity mat, exersaucer, crinkly toys, reading books and singing songs, tickles, standing, putting him up in the air...and TV. Lol. He loves Sprout!
March 1st, 2013, 06:33 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I like to talk to Jonah A LOT. I tell him everything that I'm doing throughout the day. I also tell him everything that he is doing..."I like the way that you are using your hands to feel the soft red ball" or "Good job reaching for the blue elephant, you almost have it" . Stuff like that. Google RIE approach to parenting. I don't follow this method religiously because some of it I don't agree with but some I do. Oh, I also hung up a piece of stretchy fabric from the ceiling for him to grab.. its good practice for his hand-eye coordination. When he grabs ahold of it he pulls it up and down working his arm muscles I'll post a photo of it in a little bit.

*** edit. I posted above right when I woke up and didn't even expalin what RIE approach has to do with activities! I'll give an example. If Jonah is on the carpet with his toys and I see he is reaching for one but can't quite get it I won't pick up the toy and hand it to him. This can turn into an"activity" or a teachable moment by allowing him to get the toy himself. I will move his body a bit closer so he is able to continue to be independent and get the toy. He accomplished something on his own. RIE does not agree with tummy time..I do. That's another example.
bryan and nina and Pageturner like this.

Last edited by Summerdays12; March 1st, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
March 1st, 2013, 06:36 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pretty much what Morgan said except we have a jumperoo instead of exersaucer and he only sees TV if he happens to be sitting with one of us and looking at lights.

I also take him to Gymboree twice a week. I'm signing him up for Music Together. We go to story hour at Barnes and Noble and finally found a good baby story hour at a library the next town over. I talk to him and look at him while making different sounds with my mouth and he tries to copy. I also bought a couple of musical instruments that people recommended and we play with those. We dance around sometimes, too! I'm always talking to him, too, and people are always commenting on how chatty he is so it must be helping.
Pageturner likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 10:15 AM
Super Mommy
We do playtime on her mat, lots of tinkling musical toys. I read her stories, I put on music and we have a little dance party (she makes a hilarious excited face when that starts but it's super funny - she is VERY particular about her music and if a song comes on that she doesn't like her lower lip starts to tremble. When I change to the next song it stops!) I put her on my lap to bounce and sing to her (not a good singer but it certainly makes her laugh!). We go for a walk around the neighborhood to look at the flowers - I give her different things to smell and touch. I talk to her ALL the time (sometimes I drive myself insane narrating the day lol) but she is also really vocal and she acts like we are having a conversation which is totally cute. I try to go to story time for babies at the library - she's too young to super enjoy it yet, but I am trying to get her socialized to other babies where possible. And the story time is free, which is great. I try to do Mom&Baby yoga when possible, but a lot depends on her schedule. We do tummy time with a mirror too and clapping games.
bryan and nina likes this.
March 1st, 2013, 10:30 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
have you seen the documentary, "babies"? that movie really opened my eyes that babies are entertained by a whole lot more than you'd think!

i don't do much with ruby because she has 2 older brothers and their lifestyle is very entertaining for her. with my first when he was the only child we did a ton of reading books, library classes, tons of walks outdoors, trips to farms see animals, and lots of being worn. being near a window or sitting somewhere with a view (like your aquarium) is great too!

when you have an only child, its easy to feel the pressure to have to entertain, especially when you are home most of the day and not running around with other children.
March 1st, 2013, 11:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We do exersaucer, play gym, blanket on the floor, bouncy seat, Bumbo, watching big brother, watching Mom do household chores, look in the mirror, out the window, sing songs, etc. Once the weather gets nicer we'll go outside to play and go for walks.
March 1st, 2013, 01:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyLover View Post
We do exersaucer, play gym, blanket on the floor, bouncy seat, Bumbo, watching big brother, watching Mom do household chores, look in the mirror, out the window, sing songs, etc. Once the weather gets nicer we'll go outside to play and go for walks.
Pretty much exactly this. When she's in her bouncer seat, it has that bar over it with the toys. I usually hang some of those little links on the toy, she loves to pull the links down. She also has a small "taggie" blanket that she loves. Her playmat is the piano one, so lately she's really enjoyed lying parallel to the piano and hitting the keys with her hands and watching the lights. So much entertains this at this point, try not to stress about it =)

March 1st, 2013, 02:37 PM
ellinj0206's Avatar Mom to Alexandra Jane
Send a message via Skype™ to ellinj0206
She loves her playmat, so does some self entertaining on that. I do switch the toys around on it and also have a plastic red bowl that I've put some of her favorite toys in so she can reach in and take them out. Like others said, I try to talk to her a lot and encourage her saying things like, "oh wow, you took your keys (the teething plastic keys) out of the bowl all by yourself. That's really good."

I also have a lambswool mat that I put her on with other toys including her 1-2-3 Crawl Along Snail and her giraffe I bought at Carter's (it's multicolored with ribbons to pull, a mirror, rings, etc). I made up a song for "Mr Giraffe" that points out the different colors. The song is "Mr Giraffe he's my friend. Mr Giraffe he's your friend, too. He's green like the grass, blue like the sky, orange like the sun and yellow like a banana". Raffi I am not, but she loves it. I switch up the colors when I sing it and as I do make sure I point out the colors.

March 1st, 2013, 06:21 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
We do pretty much the same thing as all of you. The only other thing I do is because Emma still sleeps in her bassinet we give her what we call "crib time" for about 20 minutes either with me, a sibling standing there next to her or alone.What I did is I took a whole bunch of those link chain toys and made a chain and clipped the chain across the crib and then clipped toys all over it and lay her under it in her crib.We also wind up her FAVORITE thing in the world , her mobile.And she kicks,rolls,and chatters with joy. She has her mirrors and other crib toys hanging on the sides and loves it. Sometimes she plays soooo hard she falls asleep in there for an hour!!
This gives me a good 15-20 minutes to vacuum her room , switch laundry,blowdry my hair,scrub a toilet, or whatever I need to do that she shouldnt hear or smell the cleaning chemicals and I can still hear her. God knows I have enough children in the house to check on her and to play with. The poor child is NEVER NEVER alone. LOL My children still beg to feed her! I love it
Sonja mama to 10
"Emma Faith" 11/2/12 8lbs 11oz 19 inches
March 1st, 2013, 07:12 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
See that's why I'd love a big family!!! I think it's so wonderful when older siblings can help out. But dh only wants 2. Sigh.
Thank you all so much for the input!!!
Erin, that was super helpful. I will look that method up tomorrow; I'm about to go to sleep now. it sounds really logical. I'd rather her learn the confidence of getting the toy than for her to think I need to get it for her!
Kristen, I haven't seen "babies" yet but I've always wanted to. I need to make a point to watch it.
Next week I'm going to make it a priority to find story time somewhere! It's crossed my mind several times but I keep forgetting again.
How does the mommy and baby yoga work?? Does baby just hang out?

I wish I could afford a Gymboree membership; it looks so fun! We do have a children's "discovery place" that I'd like to check out soon. They have a water table for babies that looks fun.

Thanks again for all the elaborate relies. I got some great ideas that I will implement into our days. I also can't wait for spring time when we can go to the park and for walks!

March 1st, 2013, 08:02 PM
you will love "babies".
March 1st, 2013, 09:12 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We do some of what is mentioned above. She also likes "doing" If You Are Happy And You Know Clap Your Hands; Heads Shoulders, knees, and Toes; This is the Way We Wash Our Hands, etc. She is a very physical baby so she loves things that involve moving her body.

Sisters, friends forever
March 2nd, 2013, 06:48 AM
so many great ideas!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search