Why??

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2013, 08:41 AM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
Ok, let me just start with one thing before I start this thread.

*Please no rude comments*

With that said, why isnt Coleson sleeping for longer than 2 hours at night at a time? A little background, he has been in his R&P for the first 5 months. He wasnt sleeping well in it so we put him in his crib a week ago. The first night he slept 6 hours traight and the next night 5 hours straight. Well, now hes waking every 2 hours. OMGsh ladies...im sooo exhausted. I really need some sleep. I know hes a baby, so please no one needs to point that out to me! (Thats the rude part im talking about.) He waking up and cooing and wanting to play. By the time I see and hear him on the monitor starting to cry, I go in there. He instantly wants to eat for comfort and goes back to sleep. Than wakes up 1 1/2-2 hours later repeating what just happened. All.night.long. He may be teething, but this has been going on for 3 months. A handful of times hes slept 7 hours straight but not much. How can i get him to sleep longer stretches consistently???

Any advice would dearly help!!

March 1st, 2013, 08:55 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'm sorry...I would be frustrated, too!

Does he take long naps during the day? Does he take a paci? (I'm just brainstorming trying to think of anything that might help.)

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 1st, 2013, 09:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't really have any great advice, because I'm in the same boat. Eve doesn't give me real long stretches at night either. She naps well during the day, but at night she's still waking to eat. My lifesaver is that she sleeps in bed with us and I don't even have to fully wake up to nurse her. I know co-sleeping isn't for everyone though.
March 1st, 2013, 09:46 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I hate to say it, but my oldest slept like that for 2 years. My second was slightly better, now my third sometimes STTN. I have been parenting the same, I think it shows that some kids are needier than others. My first is now 5 and he is very sensitive in all areas. I think some moms just get blessed with great sleepers and others do not and there isn't always a reason.
March 1st, 2013, 09:56 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
some things i tried with my DD was wrapping my shirt I wore for the day around her so she can smell me, trying different noises like a fan, soft music, one of those baby soothers, i waited for about 5-10mins before i went in there to see if she'd fall asleep, had dh give her a bottle instead of me bfing for the last feeding at night or during the night, put a brighter nightlight. that's all i can think of right now anyways maybe i'll remember more later.
March 1st, 2013, 10:01 AM
Super Mommy
Oh man, that sounds exhausting! I just posted in another thread that one of my friends had a similar issue and got great results by using a sleep consultant. It took about 2 weeks for the things she recommended to take effect, but they did work. The consultant tailors a plan to each baby so it's personalized, not just a generic "do these 5 things" plan. Maybe there is one in your area or an online one? You poor thing, that really sounds so stressful! Sorry I don't have any other ideas, but I hope it eases for you soon!
March 1st, 2013, 11:00 AM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
I hate to say it, but my first daughter was like that pretty much the whole time she was BF, which was 22 months. It was awful. My son woke up a lot until he stopped BF too, but I didn't go as long with him because he started biting when he went to sleep and it hurt too much to continue much past a year. Hannah has been a better sleeper all along since I let her sleep on her tummy and with a pacifier available. My kids all light to have nightlights so it isn't too dark and we sleep with white noise machines going all night. I hope you find something to help him sleep longer more consistently! *hugs*

Grace (7), Elijah (4), Hannah (1), baby boy (coming soon)
plus 3 step-kids Brandon (18), Sarah (16) and Adam (13)
March 1st, 2013, 11:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you have a strict bedtime routine? I know people bash babywise, and I'm by no means saying its fool proof. The only tip I took from it was the eat, play, sleep cycle. Make sure that during the day, there is a definite period of wakefulness b/t eating and sleeping. Then at night, warm bath, j&j bedtime bath/lotion, and bottle/nurse to sleep. Then they associate that time with night sleeping. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but its worth a shot? Meghan sleeps 10-12 hours per night. Good luck, big hugs!
Pageturner likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 12:02 PM
cincy1luv's Avatar 1st time mommy
I wish I could help but the samething is going on here! She only naps maybe 3 hrs a day. I have come to my baby is not a sleeper. Hugs! I have tryed white noise, we do the samething every night. Last night she did sleep almost 2 and half hrs...we are up and down!
March 1st, 2013, 12:30 PM
We have a fan on the floor in his room for white noise. I am trying some parts of the baby wise also. (NO, I WONT LET MY BABY CRY IT OUT, YES I WILL FEED MY BABY WHEN HES HUNGRY, ANd I WILL HOLD MY BABY LOTS AND GIVE HIM ALL MY ATTNTION!). Just so everyone knows i wont be neglecting my babY b/c im trying a few parts of the book.

I will also try the bed time bath and lotion routine. He doesnt take a paci so I cant do that.

But I honestly believe babies sleep patterns are depentent on the parenting method. So I think I will try a few new things at night and see how it works.

Thanks for the good imput.

March 1st, 2013, 12:54 PM
i think a good sleep "training" book is the baby whisperer. may be worth looking at. they also have a message board forum.

Quote:
The backbone of Hogg’s parenting system, a “structured routine” she calls E.A.S.Y., has four components: the amount of time she prescribes for eating (25 to 40 minutes every 2 to 3 hours), activity (45 minutes), sleeping (one half to one hour), and you (an hour or more for mom while the baby sleeps). While she acknowledges that the exact amount of time will vary from baby to baby and with the baby’s age, she makes it clear that following a schedule such as the one she outlines is crucial to preventing “chaos in the house.”

When she lays out the case for her E.A.S.Y. parenting routine, Hogg takes a couple of paragraphs to dismiss rigid schedules and on-demand feeding, setting herself up as a champion of the reasonable middle ground between these two “extremes.”
Belita and jlstebbins like this.

Last edited by bostoncreampie; March 1st, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
March 1st, 2013, 01:10 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It seems like so many if us are going through something similar so all I can think is sleep regression. Jett's doing the same thing. He STTN one time Minday I think and we've been up every 1.5-3hrs all night every night since.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
March 1st, 2013, 01:38 PM
Pageturner
I wish I could be of any help, but like others said, it may just be like that for no reason. But I think you should try playing after eating, if you haven't done so already...might tucker him out!
March 1st, 2013, 01:39 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
The last two nights Jonah has been up every 2 hours. He was doing so great in his crib now he's waking up. No advice to give just some hugs.

March 1st, 2013, 01:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, one other thing is I make sure she is awake for at least two hours before bedtime. We get home around 5, so she usually sleeps in the car on the way home. But from 5-7, I try to keep her pretty alert and active. By the time I get her swaddled and the bottle in her mouth, her eyes are already closed =)

March 1st, 2013, 02:36 PM
Yeah Summerdays, same here. I switched to the crib about the same time you did. Errr....so i feel your pain and you feel mine.
Summerdays12 likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 02:46 PM
ruby is still in the r&p and swing for naps. im scared to change anything!
LoverlyJules and Pageturner like this.
March 1st, 2013, 03:27 PM
Yeah, Coleson was way to big for his r&p so we had to switch. Hes still in his swing for naps sometimes.

No naps after 5 either.

March 1st, 2013, 04:05 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Jonah wants to comfort nurse all night too. As soon as I start getting cozy in bed I hear him whimpering...never fails.
jlstebbins likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 04:34 PM
Super Mommy
No advice here, I'm in the same boat! I emphathize with you. It seems like for me there's a never ending cycle of sleep deprivation/lupus flare. We need our rest. I told my husband, unless he wants to see me in the hospital he has to step it up and help at night. I have to work in the AM... He doesn't. Men. Smdh! I hope baby sleeps longer and you get some rest soon.
Belita, jlstebbins and Pageturner like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search