Have we talked about...

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree31Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2013, 07:29 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Sippy cups yet? I know Jonah is not ready but when is the right time? It would be great if I can skip the whole bottle thing and go straight to a sippy with a silicone spout. Do sippys get introduced when solids are introduced?? I'm so nervous to do solids and sippys because I'm afraid my supply will decrease!! Also, does breastmilk go into the sippy? I'm so confused!!

March 1st, 2013, 07:36 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I have NO idea about any of that but I'm very curious as to the answers! I didn't even think about using a sippy cup for milk; why not?! I'm just not sure how soon they learn to deign from one; seems like its not until later on, closer to a year?
Hope someone has some answers!
Summerdays12 likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 07:41 PM
I hope someone answers too!!! I found some online that I love but I really don't know much about sippys lol.

March 1st, 2013, 07:48 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I think I saw some "in between" sippies at either target or BRU. But I wasn't paying much attention at the time. It just seems like I remember something being advertised as a transition between bottle and actual sippie cup.
Come on, btdt moms, we need you to chime in.
Pageturner and Summerdays12 like this.

March 1st, 2013, 07:49 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Josiah refused the bottle at 4 months and started a sippy cup then. Since Jamison is doing well with the bottle, I probably won't introduce a sippy cup until closer to a year old.
Summerdays12 likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 07:57 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard they can be given empty soppy cups now to play with and explore so we'll probably start that when we get back from FL.

I don't see why you can't put breastmilk in it. When are small amounts ok water ok?
Summerdays12 likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 07:59 PM
mandattu_02's Avatar Mom to 2 beautiful babies
With Ryan, we introduced the sippy around 9-10 months. He did best with the straw sippy and the wide soft spout. We'll probably try around that same time with Madilyn. Ryan was completely off the bottle by 15 months.
Summerdays12 likes this.

**Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!**

March 1st, 2013, 08:00 PM
I was wondering about water too!!

March 1st, 2013, 08:07 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Its whatever you want. I was at the Le Leche League last week and they were talking about a 5 month old who refuses to drink a bottle when her mama is at work, and the moms were telling her to give her a sippy cup with BM in it. They also suggested doing a childs cup without any top.

I always did sippy cups at 6 months with the solids as it was my understanding that the water helped with the digestion. My boys only really used the old school tupperware style tumblers like this http://www.goodforthekids.com/item_i...es-Y1664A1.jpg, they have always hated valves. This time around, I might skip the sippy and go right to a cup without a lid. One of the LLL moms who swears by tupperware midgets (they are like little shot glasses, but flexible plastic) and the idea sounded great to me.
Belita and Summerdays12 like this.
March 1st, 2013, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
Its whatever you want. I was at the Le Leche League last week and they were talking about a 5 month old who refuses to drink a bottle when her mama is at work, and the moms were telling her to give her a sippy cup with BM in it. They also suggested doing a childs cup without any top.

I always did sippy cups at 6 months with the solids as it was my understanding that the water helped with the digestion. My boys only really used the old school tupperware style tumblers like this http://www.goodforthekids.com/item_i...es-Y1664A1.jpg, they have always hated valves. This time around, I might skip the sippy and go right to a cup without a lid. One of the LLL moms who swears by tupperware midgets (they are like little shot glasses, but flexible plastic) and the idea sounded great to me.
I remember those sippys from when I was little how funny!! I worked in an infant/toddler room and we introduced small cups without a lid as soon as the babies were able to sit up on their own. They did really well with the cup! I guess I could do that. I always forget that I worked with infants and learned so much lol
bostoncreampie likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 08:36 PM
michellelove0502's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I already give Jayden a sippy cup and he loves it. I do not want him on the bottle past 1 so I am giving him the sippy cup so he will not be sad when I take his bottle away before 1 or on his first bday lol
Peytonsmomma and Summerdays12 like this.

March 1st, 2013, 08:44 PM
marinewife01's Avatar Super Mommy
With #2 I gave him a sippy cup when he started solids with water or diluted juice and still breastfed.
Summerdays12 likes this.

Kaela-11 Ben-6 Avrey-8 months

March 1st, 2013, 09:18 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With dd1 we started at 4 months and it was just bits of water here and there. This time around, I have bought her cup. We used different types. One for water up to age 1, another type for milk after age 1, one with straw for transitioning off sippy cup, etc. She still uses her sippy for milk before bed but she uses normal cup for eating during the day. I hope to start Luyando soon; latest by 6 months (she is already 5 months old ).
Summerdays12 likes this.

Sisters, friends forever
March 1st, 2013, 09:47 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A friend offered a soppy cup with a bit of BM for her daughter to explore at about 5months and she was pretty good using it at about 7months. She is still BF @ 11 months.
Summerdays12 likes this.

March 2nd, 2013, 05:05 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good topic! Thanks ladies. I like the idea of just letting them play now hen putting a little bm in it
Summerdays12 likes this.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
March 2nd, 2013, 05:33 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
You can introduce at any time, but it's my understanding that water shouldn't be given to babies under 6 months (something about water poisoning? IDK, we never introduced until later). Also, we never did sippy cups, only straw cups. Mia refused sippies and then I later learned that straw cups are very beneficial for jaw development, where as sippies can hinder that. Plus straws were one less thing I had to wean because everyone drinks out of straws, lol!

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

March 2nd, 2013, 05:46 AM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
Ditto Katherine. We went straight to straw cups at around 6 months. One less transition and they need to learn how to drink from a straw anyway. We also did open cups before a year.
Belita and Summerdays12 like this.

March 2nd, 2013, 08:52 AM
Straw cups huh? I need to look into those for sure!!!

March 2nd, 2013, 08:55 AM
mommaof4andhalf's Avatar Mighty Midget Minion Mom
Dillon has a stage one sippy cup. Right now he just holds it and puts it to his mouth and back out. Sometimes, he will take a drink but more often than not its just him practicing the motion of giving himself a drink. He thinks it's a big game LOL.
JillMama and Summerdays12 like this.

-Chrissy. Momma to a teenage girl, a preteen girl, a little girl, and 2 boys. Straight Jacket Bound!!!!
March 2nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My husband's grandmother drinks out of those cups that Kristen posted! (she's in her mid-90s and has little strength in her arms) I remember having those when I was little.

I think we'll do the straw cup, too, then. That's a good point! Any recommendations on brands?
Summerdays12 likes this.

Last edited by Belita; March 2nd, 2013 at 10:27 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search