Increasing bottle size

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 04:42 AM
ellinj0206's Avatar Mom to Alexandra Jane
Send a message via Skype™ to ellinj0206
Alexandra is still only taking 4oz at a time and seems pretty satisfied with that. Her pedi talked about increasing her bottle size. We've tried offering her 5oz and she seems like she could care less! Haha. Have any of you tried to increase your LOs feeding amount? How did you successfully do so?

March 4th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Eve is EBF, so I have no idea how much she's drinking per feeding. If Alexandra is totally refusing the extra ounce, I don't really know how you could make her drink it. If she's full, she's full, KWIM? Does she need to drink more to gain weight or what was the reasoning?
March 4th, 2013, 12:14 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
Emma is at 7 ounces. She did it on her own. Basically I would feed her and when she was done she would fuss like she was still hungry especially when after two days she sucked every feed down to nothing. So I knew it was time to go up an ounce. and then after a couple of weeks she would repeat the process. I never force more that she wants. She eats about every 3-4 hours and in the evening she has some rice cereal and bananas or applesauce.
other than that I am not sure what to do, especially since I feed on demand.
Sonja mama to 10
"Emma Faith" 11/2/12 8lbs 11oz 19inches
March 4th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't force feed her either. Babies are good at self-regulating how much they intake. Forcing her to drink too much is like making her be a member of the "clean plate club" and can set her up for bad eating habits later in life. She'll increase when she's ready.

March 4th, 2013, 12:38 PM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went by cues. Even though he's bf, he gets bottles with dad and at daycare. So when he still acted hungry we tried giving him more in his bottle and he drank it up, that's when we knew for sure that it was time to increase.
March 4th, 2013, 01:21 PM
ellinj0206's Avatar Mom to Alexandra Jane
Send a message via Skype™ to ellinj0206
Our pedi is actually the one who is suggesting to increase how many ounces. I actually think she's considering us feeding her every three hours and thinks increasing it may cut down on that. Although I'd definitely like not waking up at 3am, I just want her to eat the amount she wants.

March 4th, 2013, 01:42 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jett was at 3 for a long time and totally fine. I started going up because I thought he needed more although he never acted hungry after a feeding. We tried 4 and he didn't finish so I did 3.5 for a few weeks then went to 4. I figured if I was pumping 4 he could eat 4.... We'll prob stay here for a while unless he acts like he wants more.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
March 4th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sometimes Meghan takes 4, sometimes 5, sometimes 6. I always offer 6, but she rarely finishes it. However, if she sucks it dry, I offer another ounce. I was always told babies rarely over eat.

March 4th, 2013, 02:52 PM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
I am EBFing Coleson, so I have no idea how much he is eating. He wont take a bottle and have tried like everything, but he refuses!

But good luck on it!!

March 4th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Peytonsmomma
We are at 6-8 a feeding
March 4th, 2013, 05:39 PM
michellelove0502's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would try 4.5 and then go to 5 if you want. Jayden never had an issue when i increased. He is drinking 5 ounces every 3 hours during the day and sttn.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search