Cloth diaper detergent

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bryan and nina

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 07:10 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I don't know if some of you remember but we have been battling a persistent rash pretty much for months. Some days it's better, others it gets worse. I use Charlie's, which is generally well reviewed for cloth diapers. I tried more detergent, less detergent, different wash cycles, added vinegar, even a bleach cycle to strip them. Hotter water, extra rinses and just last week, out of desperation, I spent about 2 hours in the kitchen, boiling the prefolds in batches of twos in large pots, to strip detergent residue and potential bacteria.
Some things made the rash better for a day but nothing made it go away...
I happened to see that my local health food store just got "molly's suds" in and yesterday morning, I bought a bag, thinking just maybe we have a sensitivity to Charlie's soap. Oh.my.gosh!! All day today her little bottom has looked better than it has pretty much since the first few weeks of cloth diapering. She has no rash what so ever!!!! I'm absolutely elated that it seems like we finally found the issue. Thank you Molly's suds.
I just wanted to share because this I a huge deal to me. I almost quit CDs because of the rash issues, feeling guilty that my baby was suffering from a rash (although it hardly seemed to bother her). I am so glad I gave Molly's a try!
Teeniemama and Summerdays12 like this.

Last edited by bryan and nina; March 4th, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
March 4th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Oh good!!!! I am so happy her little bottom is rash free! Glad you found the root of the problem and are able to continue CD

March 4th, 2013, 07:27 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
thats awesome!!! i have heard that charlies causes a bad reaction in some people. so sorry you were one of them, since i think i told you about charlies soap.
March 4th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad you figured it out and Emmy can get some relief!

March 4th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks girls. I'm so thrilled. I figured I'd have to live with the fact that she would be rashy but guess not! I hate Charlie's didn't work for us but I guess that's how it goes. don't feel bad, Kristen!! I've read so many good reviews about Charlie's that I was happy to try it. Just goes to show that even "all natural" things can cause a reaction. I think Emmy will always have very sensitive skin, because her complexion is just so fair.

Hey Kristen, I just remembered you ordered the trial size of nellie's detergent. Did you try it yet??

March 5th, 2013, 05:21 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
So glad you found the problem! I bet Emmy is a happy little camper!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 5th, 2013, 05:48 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
i did try nellies. funny thing, all my kids got rashes with it (and my son got a boil), i dont think it was rinsing correctly. so we are back to charlies.
March 5th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Oh no! well, unfortunately not everything works for everybody. At least Charlie's works for you! I'll still use it on her clothes since it doesn't cause an issue there. I honestly prefer the smell over Molly's since they added peppermint oil to the detergent. Weird choice, IMO! It sucks when you first open the bag since all that minty-ness hits you in the face and makes my eyes burn. I'll learn to turn my head eventually.

Melissa, your new siggy pics are precious. Abigail looks so much like Claire!!

March 5th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Peytonsmomma
if you have problems again you should try making some of your own...it literally takes less than 10 minutes to make
March 5th, 2013, 09:10 AM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
That's great that you found one that works. After going through a couple of different CD brands, I ended up trying tide and it's worked best for our type of water.

March 5th, 2013, 11:25 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
YAY! I have never bought into buying special detergents for diapers. I use Xtra or Sun and have never had an issue.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

March 6th, 2013, 02:01 PM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yikes, I just read that the other day about Charlie's, that some people report nasty rashes. Right now we're using All Free and Clear, which is apparently better than most but not the best for CDs. I was considering buying Charlie's next, but maybe not...? I wonder if they would send me a trial pack...

Good to know about Molly's though!
March 6th, 2013, 08:13 PM
ShutterBabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thats great! We use charlies as well. in fact I need to buy more

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search