Le Leche League

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 1 Post By cincy1luv
  • 1 Post By Belita
  • 1 Post By AltMommy
  • 1 Post By Teeniemama
  • 2 Post By JillMama
  • 3 Post By Summerdays12
  • 1 Post By Belita
  • 1 Post By Tiffany8620

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I'm going to a LLL meeting tomorrow. What are the meetings like? I thought it would be like big formal meeting in a large space like a school cafeteria lol! It's seems very informal (go with the flow)and it's held at a house. Is this what they are all like? Why am I nervous

March 6th, 2013, 09:45 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Oh they are SO great. I treat myself every month. They are usually in someone's house, you arrive and there are healthy homemade snacks and chat time, then the meeting starts and the leaders give a history of LLL, they show you the library, and you go around the circle and do intros. Then the leader usually has a topic,there is a series that just always repeats itself. So everyone joins in the discussion, and then there is time for questions. I was nervous my first time too but the people who go are some of the sweetest moms I've ever met. I guarantee you have nothing to be nervous about.
Summerdays12 likes this.
March 6th, 2013, 10:02 AM
cincy1luv's Avatar 1st time mommy
I have never been but good luck!!!
Summerdays12 likes this.
March 6th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Yes, the leader says there is usually a topic. Sometimes they get to it and sometimes they don't. She (her name is Kristen!) said if we start a good discussion they never "stop" it to start on the topic. She was very nice and it's REALLY close to my house I'll update tomorrow on how the meeting went. I'm such a wimp..I'm bringing my friend with me BUT she's pregnant so it's a win win.

March 6th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never been either. Have fun!
Summerdays12 likes this.

March 6th, 2013, 03:06 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have fun! I've been wanting to go to one.
Summerdays12 likes this.

March 6th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Update us after the meeting!
Summerdays12 likes this.
March 6th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Teeniemama's Avatar Super Mommy
I went to one of these meetings at a nearby maternity boutique -- the owner had posted the meeting on Facebook. I'd been in the house all day and was desperate to get out. I didn't realize it was going to be a meeting about folks who were having trouble breastfeeding (at least this meeting was for that). As a person who hasn't had any BF challenges except DD hates bottles now, it was a real eye opener to what some people deal with! I had a great time, there were about 20 other mommies there with babies and everyone was supportive and friendly. I'm planning to go back!
Summerdays12 likes this.

March 6th, 2013, 08:41 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This made me finally look it up and they have one the first Mon of every month near my house. I'm so excited. Next month I'll go.

Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
March 7th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Soooo I went!!! It was at a house and there were only a few of us. It was very very casual. First we introduced ourselves and our little ones. The leader, Kristen opened the meeting by asking if anyone had questions or concerns. No one said anything! I started by asking how do I nurse without using my Boppy. The leader showed me a couple of different positions. One of the two worked out! I also talked about how I have a hard time NIP because Jonah is sooooooooo squirmy. She observed Jonah and came to the conclusion that he does not like his face/head being covered. He likes to see whats going on. She said to NIP without a cover. I am not comfortable doing that though. I have no problem going to my car to nurse or find a nursing station. We talked about supply issues, baby-wearing, traveling with an infant, and a few other things that I can't even recall. There was so much information going out! All in all I liked it a lot. Some things I didn't agree with but most I did. I welcomed new ideas and advice I did talk about how Jonah still nurses every two hours. I didn't even think to talk about that until she brought up that babies around 5-6 months go 3-4 hours between feedings. I was like WHAT??!! Not Jonah! She said he just might be one of those kids that will always nurse every two hours. Her daughter was. I also asked about comfort nursing and when is it okay to end the nursing session when you know the baby is truly done nursing for nutrition. She said it is absolutley okay to stop a session if you want to. The baby needs to know that the mommy is their own person. The baby connect themselves to mommy..like they are "ONE" Mommy and baby=1. I hope that makes sense. She explined it really well. There are times when I have no problem letting Jonah comfort nurse but then there are times that I have to do other things..cook dinner, spend time with my older kids, etc. I really never stopped a nursing session before because I felt guilty. She said it is okay if it is clear they are not activily feeding anymore. And it's okay to comfort them in other ways. I learned a lot and I'm going back next month!!! It felt like Just Mommies but in real life lol!

March 7th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad it went well! That's good to know about the comfort nursing, too. Sean has been doing more and more of that lately.
Summerdays12 likes this.

March 7th, 2013, 04:50 PM
So glad it worked out! It's crazy how different all the chapters are from each other. It might be worth checking out another local chapter and then deciding which to commit to if it wasn't totally great chemistry. The leaders all bring their own flavor I think and so do each mom!
Summerdays12 likes this.
March 7th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
Glad it went well! That's good to know about the comfort nursing, too. Sean has been doing more and more of that lately.
Yes, Jonah too! That's why I asked. If he could be attached to me 24/7 he would. I can't do that lol. One of the mommies there said to put him in a carrier so I could nurse him all the time. That's not for me. Then I was relieved to know I can end a nursing session

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
So glad it worked out! It's crazy how different all the chapters are from each other. It might be worth checking out another local chapter and then deciding which to commit to if it wasn't totally great chemistry. The leaders all bring their own flavor I think and so do each mom!
Yes! I was thinking that also. One of the mommies there is in leader training and I REALLY liked her. She will be only about 15 minutes from my house and I wanted to check out her meetings.

March 8th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I totally get the 'mommy + baby = 1' thing. Eve is better about it now, but she used to comfort nurse CONSTANTLY. I could have had her on my boob all day and she would have been perfectly happy. I started having to cut her off after awhile (a good long while).
Summerdays12 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search