Hospital Financial Aid

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By marybethsmom
  • 1 Post By michellelove0502

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2013, 09:18 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Has anybody else had to apply for hospital financial aid? We had a firestorm of medical expenses recently... the bills from my miscarriages and subsequent testing were already on our hospital account before Jamison came along. Then we had all the medical bills from his birth and nicu stay, split between the pediatrician (who covered his nicu doctor visits) and the hospital. Then DH did physical therapy for a back injury, I broke my thumb and had an MRI done, and Josiah had his surgery. Now we have payment plans at FOUR different medical facilities, and we can't afford to pay all four minimum payments in a month. So, we are applying for assistance at the two hospitals where we received care, and are hoping they will write off some of the expenses. Medical debt SUCKS!! And yeah, I fully expect the Canadians to chime in and rub their socialized healthcare in my face

March 6th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Teeniemama's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes our healthcare system sucks. I don't have any advice for you having not gone through this. You guys have been through a lot! I hope it gets better and works out.

March 6th, 2013, 10:17 PM
It will work out We actually DO have good insurance, but the deductible plus out of pocket max combined is $6000, and we've managed to hit it two policy years in a row!!

March 7th, 2013, 02:51 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to have to deal with that. It's particularly sad and hard when one suffers a loss and is still paying with nothing to show for it. I found that really disheartening when I owed a little over $2000 for the ectopic pregnancy that I lost. I made them give me a payment plan because I just could not imagine putting that amount down at once and for "nothing" too I hope the hospital is able to find some support for your bills. Medical cost really can run one into deep debt if no care is taken. Hugs.

Sisters, friends forever
March 7th, 2013, 05:12 AM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We actually just sent in the letter for Financial Aid. We put it off and right before we sent it in, the bill was sent to collections! Luckily, the hospital will still accept it and we will pay whatever is left, if anything. I'm hoping we get accepted (dont know why we wouldn't) because we just can't pay any more bills with our income. I hope you guys get it too! These bills are just too big. We would owe $2600, but my parents had $1250 left on their medical card and let us use that (the cycle ends in November and they didn't have anything to use it for so we got very lucky with that!) So we have $1350 left.
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

March 7th, 2013, 05:23 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I hope they can work something out for you, Sarah! Hopefully you're DONE with all the medical stuff for a while...you guys deserve some good luck and good health!
LucilleTwo likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

March 7th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hope it works out!

March 7th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Veteran
Ugh, that's a bummer. I hope the hospital is able to work something out for you. You mentioned your thumb, how's it doing?
March 7th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our total bill from my hospital stays with the kidney stone/and c-section is about $2800. I signed up for Health Financial Assistance, where you just agree to the monthly amount you can afford. I'm paying $50/month. I guess they figure something is better than nothing.
abur likes this.

March 7th, 2013, 09:27 AM
cincy1luv's Avatar 1st time mommy
I did it. I have hsa through work. My bill was 4200 and I sent in for finacial help and they cut it down to 2200 and I pay 128 a month! With another one coming i am going to have to do the samething and see if i can get them in to one payment unless I get the first one paid off first!
March 7th, 2013, 11:25 AM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
We are still trying to get some aid here too. My dh had to have dialysis for 3 weeks and stayed IN the hospital the whole entire time!!!!!! We do NOT have any type of medical insurance and pay for EVERYTHING out of pocket. My husband had to close his company because of no work so we could not afford our insurance. SUCKS!! My teeth need work. Dh and I both are on medications. We owe thousands and thousands because of his kidney failure. We never saw this coming.... We sold our home and farm and all that money is now gone too.
Sonja mama to 10
"Emma Faith" 11/2/12 8lbs 11oz 19inches
March 7th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugh. We've also hit our $5,000 deductible two years in a row. It stinks!
March 8th, 2013, 12:30 AM
michellelove0502's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I am so sorry ladies. I hope you all get the financial aid. Medical expenses definitely are horrible, i am very thankful for the insurance we have.
abur likes this.

March 8th, 2013, 04:32 AM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No advice, I just want to say how sorry I am especially for those of you who have had debt related to pregnancy losses. That's definitely a powerful way to kick someone while they're down. I hope it all gets resolved soon.
March 8th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have requested discounts (hey, insurance already paid out 10k!), and are struggling along. I don't think the hospital has financial aid available though beyond that. I hate that if w were living in Canada I would owe NOTHING, and yet because we are here I owe around 4k for the various medical expenses we've had recently, and that is after insurance paid out. Worst part being that if we were self pay we would only owe the same amount anyway. How dumb is that??
March 9th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderlady View Post
Ugh, that's a bummer. I hope the hospital is able to work something out for you. You mentioned your thumb, how's it doing?
I am out of the fica splint now, but the thumb still isn't 100%. It will ache if I try to carry too much weight with it, and just generally doesn't feel totally strong yet. I think it is just going to take time. It is definitely getting better and better! As for the amount in medical bills, I think we are at around $11,000. The minimum payments per month when all combined (four different facilities) total about $400. That is way more than we can afford right now! So, we'll see what comes of it all.

March 9th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Veteran
Glad your thumb is doing better. Those are some crazy medical bills, lady!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search