physicall therapy

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By babymama10
  • 1 Post By Tiffany8620
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By babymama10

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2013, 06:54 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well Hunter had his 6month check up friday, and the doc and i are worried about him developing physically. He won't put weight on his legs if i stand him up, and he's only rolled once, doesn't really bring toys to his mouth (except starting doing it more this weekened go figure and only his sophia). He kicks his legs alot to move himself around on his play mat, and will roll to his sides but that's it. His doc wants me to bring him back in another month, then re-evaluate him, but will have to take him to a physical therapist that specializes in babies to see what they say. Hunter was born 6 weeks early, and i know boys lag behind sometimes. Doc said he has good muscle in his legs when she was evaluating him.

I know there's some ladies that have their little one in physical therapy, hows that going what do they have to do? I'm just worried of the unknown.
March 18th, 2013, 07:54 AM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
No worries. I had one a couple years ago do the physical therapy thing. She was born a few weeks early to. She was kinda slow to roll and a acted a bit behind on some things. She only went twice. First time the lady did some baby stretches for her and gave me a list of stuff to do at home. We did those things and by the second appointment my baby had done so much better and the poor muscle tone in her legs was on the right track. So she felt we didnt need to come anymore for those 2 hour dives in rush hour traffic. The only thing that I got upset about is she put my beautiful,clean baby on the bare office floor!!! YUCK!! Not on a mat or blanket, but right were everyone walks in and out with their shoes. I pulled a blanket out soooo fast out of my diaper bag. The lady rolled her eyes at me ... but its MY child that will pick up germs. Especially during cold and flu season.
Today my daughter is a healthy 15 year old and ahead academically. She rode her horses, ran, walked, and now just for my please even "back talks." LOL
No worries..But I know you will anyway
ashley5 likes this.
March 18th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've done PT with my son for his torticollis. I know that's a little different, but I can tell you that it's really not scary at all. The first appointment will probably be an evaluation. With Riley they had me strip him down to his diaper and then put him on a mat and watched what he could do and how he played. They also asked a lot of questions about his birth and medical history. PT for kids is basically like play time. They use toys to help baby move in the way they want them to move and work whatever muscles they're aiming to strengthen. They may send you home with certain exercises to do a few times a day depending on what they find. Keep us updated!
ashley5 likes this.
March 18th, 2013, 09:51 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
George and Hunter sound SO much alike! George was 7 weeks early, and he struggles with all of the things you mentioned. The PT we are seeing thinks it is a combination of his prematurity and his laid-back personality...he's just not a go-getter like his twin.

My 2-year old actually gets excited about George's PT appointments because like someone else said, it is just playtime for them. At the first appointment she took some measurements of his head (we also have a head-shape concern), and then watched us play so she could see how he was doing. Then she took him and did different things to see how he would respond (showed him different things, gave him things to grab, tried to have him stand, sit, etc., played sounds to see how he responded). She gave us exercises to do with him at home, and I think they are really helping. None of them are irritating or painful for him, they are just things to do that encourage him to use his weaker muscles so he can build them. For example, I put his favorite toy in front of him and to the side, then gently help him move his leg over so he can start to roll. He does the rest on his own. She also demonstrated different ways to hold him that make him engage certain muscles...George doesn't know he's getting "therapy," he just knows that Mama is holding him, so he loves it.

I was intimidated and worried before we started our PT appointments, but they are really great. I love seeing George make progress...he has rolled on his own at least once a day the last few days!
ashley5 likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 18th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks ladies! I was worried of the unknown and I guess deep down inside i wanted him to be "normal", and worried that it might be something more then just behind. I'm looking forward to getting this started then so he and we can see some progress, as much as I like having a non-moble baby that just snuggles, I love to see them learn new challenges. And good to know it's not going to be anythign painful for him, b/c that would break my heart in a million pieces.

I wonder if he was just a laid back/lazy baby. he'll kick his feet when he's on his play mat so he can see the tv better, typical male lol:] Does the samething in his crib also, so he can see his nightlight better.
March 18th, 2013, 10:40 AM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sending good thoughts! I'm sure Hunter will be fine!

March 18th, 2013, 11:19 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley5 View Post
I wonder if he was just a laid back/lazy baby. he'll kick his feet when he's on his play mat so he can see the tv better, typical male lol:] Does the samething in his crib also, so he can see his nightlight better.
I had thought that, too, and our PT thinks that is 50% of his "problem." It is especially hard because Abigail is SO active and strong...she's Little Miss Type-A. She's up on all fours rocking and trying to crawl, and poor George just wants to lay there and giggle I bet with a little encouragement, Hunter will show you that he's 100% okay and just likes chillaxin'
ashley5 likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 19th, 2013, 05:59 AM
My daughter is a type A when it came to moving, not that she was super early but a little go getter she is. DH and I are focusing more on getting him to move and try to roll etc, and overall working with him more. Poor little guy doesn't get the same attention our daughter got when she was a baby, but I guess that happens when you have multiple at home, but I don't want that to be an excuse so 110% focus on trying to get him motivated:]
March 19th, 2013, 09:24 AM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
oh my gosh, oh yeah Dh and I believe that sometimes babies that need physical therapy are usually VERY laid back.. LOL WE see that a lot when I worked in the public school system with "special needs toddlers." Most of those little 2 and 3 year olds were normal just had very laid back go with the flow personalities. From what I have seen with my own kids like that tho is it only last a few years and then that changes fast once they start to wanna keep up with their friends or siblings. LOL
ashley5 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search