Biggest BFing Myths

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By NewGurl
  • 2 Post By LoverlyJules
  • 1 Post By Tiffany8620
  • 2 Post By hiskid1324
  • 1 Post By Pageturner

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2013, 05:10 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
so i got to thinkng about the wierdest things i heard b4 I started BFing and during and was wondering what all doozzys you guys heard to.

for me it was before I gave birth I was told to go ahead and start pumping to esstablish my supply or the baby whould starve ............pure insanity

or the oh so common it wont hurt if your doing it right............ soryy but no. no matter howmany nurses check latch and pedis check lips and tounges those 1st 3 days were still hell my nips cracked and chafed tits swelled my back almost broke in half from slouching to get to him even with a nurseing pillow

March 18th, 2013, 05:29 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have nothing to add, but amen to what you said!

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
March 18th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Going back to work will cause her to wean ... Not yet!!!!

March 18th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
"If you don't pump you will lose your supply" A friend told me that one. I rarely pump and I have a great supply.

March 18th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Pageturner
I don't breastfeed anymore, I stopped after 2 weeks, but I was annoyed by people telling me that he was losing too much weight in the hospital. Most breastfed babies lose a little at first, and he wasn't losing much! No one but the hospital pediatrician gave me any crap.
March 18th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It seems like a lot of people in the hospital get pushed into supplementing with formula when it really isn't necessary. Babies don't eat much the first few days. Their tummies are so small that they only need the few drops of colostrum. I supplemented right away with Riley, and I believe it's what ruined our BFing relationship in the end. With Eve I have only nursed right from the beginning and she's still EBF at almost 6 months old.
Pageturner likes this.
March 18th, 2013, 07:03 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I got pushed into supplementing and bottlefeeding pumped milk and it totally screwed us up...and I should have known better

I was told I wouldn't be able to eat anything spicy or eat dairy while BFing. I know some babies are more sensitive than others, but nothing I ate/drank bothered Claire. She was a breeze to BF.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 18th, 2013, 07:55 PM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto to the "can't eat XYZ" comment, though I know it really does affect some babies, I guess we're lucky that I can eat anything.

I'm so glad no one ever tried to convince me to supplement, I was so clueless and nervous in the beginning that I may have allowed it.

*edit*
I hope what I just said about being "clueless" doesn't sound like Im calling anyone who supplements clueless, that wasnt what I meant! In our particular situation there would have been no reason for it, Nora was latching well and had a good appetite and I was making enough milk. I know there are situations where supplementing/formula feeding really is the best choice.
March 18th, 2013, 08:00 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
The losing weight thing for us as well. Luckily I had the support of lcs that reassured me.

March 18th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
"I can't breastfeed because none of the women in my family make enough milk" (from a person who never even tried)

"I only make skim milk, my babies need more fat in their milk to grow properly"

"you can't nurse a baby and a toddler, the toddler will steal all the nutrients the baby needs"

"I had to stop nursing because I had mastitis, and you can't nurse with those antibiotics in you"

"You can only nurse until the baby has teeth"

"Babies need formula and solids by the time they are 6 months old"

I could go on, and on, and on....
zubeldia and babymama10 like this.
March 19th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Pageturner
Are you serious about the skim milk comment??? Lol. That's ridiculous!
KMH likes this.
March 19th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Those excuses are so stupid!!! LOL I breastfed some babies and some no. My excuse is because I have ulcerative colitis its a nasty colon disease that it seems the meds I take after birth in order for me to stay in remission are NOT something a baby should ever have and 100% pass threw the breast milk. I sure do miss it tho. I love breastfeeding. My daughter and son in law live with us and she is breastfeeding her baby and he just turned 1. I sadly cannot believe the pressure she goes threw and has about how she should STOP breastfeeding at 6 months... Dh and I support her 100% and encourage her to go longer. I am very proud of her for not caving in to pressure. I will NEVER understand why people make women feel bad for taking good care of their babies..
March 19th, 2013, 08:51 PM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This one makes me sick - "oh, they have teeth, guess its time to quit!" Ugh. My MIL made a comment when she saw Hannah's teeth about me "being glad I wasn't breastfeeding anymore". I said no, you can still BF when the baby has teeth....she said "no, its time to quit then!". I was fuming. She only BF'd my SIL and DH for like a month then gave up. When I was having trouble with BF'ing she just said "yeah, its hard to get over but its best when you do". Now that she had said this, it has pissed me off. Bahhh! What a supporter ..not.
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

March 19th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lol. Yup, dead serious!
March 20th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't take offense to the 'clueless' thing. I was kind of clueless! He was my first kid, I'd never breastfed and he was having trouble latching. The nurse told me I should give him a bit of formula until we figured it out and so I did. I never would have done it if I knew then what I know now!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search