food opinions please

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2013, 08:03 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
please no fighting lol

alright so Connor will be 6 months old in a few weeks so im thinking about whether or not to start solids then. I start getting vouchers for baby food when he turns 7 months old so I probably will definnatly let him try stuff out then since Ill be getting it basicly whether he likes it or not lol.

my question is that he is showing mixed signs of readiness right now
he no longer tounge thrusts
he decides when he is finished nuresing
he shows interest in food
he is more then triple his birth weight

but he is absolutly nowhere near unassisted sitting (he sits very well in my lap a chair ect but doesnt last 10 sec without back suport and as my previous post states hes kinda lazy so i really dont expect him to start anytime soon)

I was considering just getting some sweet potato and makeing fries for him to mess around with BLW style A becuse I dont feel like buying "baby food suplies" if hes not even ready and B becuse ill eat them if he doesnt but Im not really sure. Idk i guess im just really not ready for him to grow up and i wondering if im just makeing up resons not to start him or if i pushing solids becuse he has "come of age" even though hes not ready

March 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No real advice because I'm a FTM ... but I'm thinking of sweet potatoes as Madalyn's first food too! Good luck whatever you decide to do!

March 25th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Peytonsmomma
I started theron at 4 months, he didnt sit up by himself and his first was sweet potatoes
March 25th, 2013, 08:55 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I would be worried about doing more solid things like sweet potato fries at 6 months as a first food because I'd be worried about choking...but I don't know if that is just me being overly cautious or if that is a valid concern. Maybe the other Moms will weigh in one way or the other.

We tried introducing Claire to solids at 6 months, and she just wasn't ready or interested. We just kept trying every week or so until she finally showed interest...they will definitely let you know when they are ready! We'll do the same thing when the twins are 6 months adjusted or so...just give it a try and then let them tell me where to go from there.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

March 25th, 2013, 09:27 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Everything I've read about BLW is its a MUST that they can sit up well and unassisted.

I don't know how to tell about the tongue thrust?? What do you look for?

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
March 25th, 2013, 09:39 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
he still gets zantac twice daily is where im judgeing tounge thrust at

March 25th, 2013, 09:55 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillMama View Post
I don't know how to tell about the tongue thrust?? What do you look for?
Great question...I'm wondering the same thing! With Claire I just had to try some food and see...she didn't want any of it in her mouth and pushed it right back out (this was at 6 months or a little after). Is that the only way to really tell?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

March 25th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Eve started solids two days ago. We started with squash. She opens her mouth for the spoon and swallows it without doing the tongue thrust thing. We've been giving her a bit once a day for now. I feed her solids after she's nursed and go until she starts acting finished (spitting it out, fussing at me). Another sign of readiness she's shown is being extremely interested in our food when we eat supper.

ETA: Riley didn't sit unassisted when I started solids with him, and Eve can sit unassisted for short periods, but she's not a pro at it yet. She eats sitting in her Bumbo. It is important that baby has excellent head/neck control before eating solids, but I'm assuming your little guy has that down.
March 25th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Rebecca's first food was dirt (not kidding-- she put a handful of dirt in her mouth, no tongue thrust, LOL). She was 8.5 months when she got her first solids, which is about a month after the tongue thrust was gone, but right around when she was getting good at picking stuff up. I gave her rice (the real stuff) as her first food, but she had apple pieces, carrot shreds, pear chunks, avocado pieces, and chopped up grapes as first foods.

Elias still had his tongue thrust at 11 months. He was 12 months when he swiped a blueberry and swallowed it. That was his first solid food. Esther... I THINK has no more tongue thrust, but having experienced EBF to 12 months, I am aiming for it again! I LOVED how simple it was to just nurse Elias, and how minimal the messes were!

I do think sweet potatoes are a good first food as well, and I rarely worry about choking issues with food... it takes a bit to trust a baby not to put too big a piece in their mouth, but I think I'm there now, lol. I haven't given solids prior to independent sitting, and I only gave it when they were swiping foods off my plate on a regular basis, so I knew they WANTED it, not just were interested in what I was doing with the stuff.
March 26th, 2013, 03:38 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I've been wondering how to judge tongue thrust reflex as well...
We will probably start with some veggies like sweet potato after her 6 month appointment, which is actually at 6 months and 3 weeks, since the pedi is out of town before that. So in all actuality, Emmy will be almost 7 months when we introduce solids. I'm not rushing it... I am loving EBF!! I'm not looking forward to stinky, messy poops. Lol. Dh is so ready for her to start though.

March 26th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With my older dd, we tried at 4 months and she was not at all interested, so we waited until about 5.5 months and she loved it. I am waiting till 6 months with Meghan due to family history of food allergies. However, we do give her prunes to help with constipation b/c the dr said its better than prune juice with all the sugar. She does tongue thrust still though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search