How much formula/breastmilk is your LO eating?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 2 Post By mommaof4andhalf
  • 2 Post By marybethsmom
  • 1 Post By hiskid1324

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm confused if Meghan's getting enough. She's taking an average of about 30 oz. a day. Sometimes its 24, other days 32, just depends on her nap schedule. Is this enough? She's starting to drain every bottle and sometimes cries for more. Would you start one meal of cereal/puree or just up her bottle amount? She was 16.3 at her 4 month, so I imagine somewhere b/t 17-18 lbs now. She also was sleeping through the night. Since transitioning off her swaddle, she's started waking 1-2 times per night. She doesn't eat, I just give her the noonie and she goes right back to sleep. So I don't know if that's hunger or the blanket. Thanks for any advice...

March 27th, 2013, 11:43 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
If she is acting hungry I would up her bottle amount. Food before a year isn't really meant to replace formula/BM. I'm not entirely sure since Jamison is BF-ing instead of bottle feeding, but I think he is eating more than your LO. I pump on average 4oz per side, and he drains one side per feeding. So, if I assume he is getting 4oz per feeding, and he is eating every 2-3 hours day and night, that brings his intake to 32-48oz per day.

Oh, and Jamison is currently around 18lbs.

March 27th, 2013, 01:01 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Madalyn takes 2 bottles during the day when she's with my mom ... A total of about 12 ounces. When she's with me, she BF about every 3 hours during the day and wakes once at night. She just turned 5 months and she's just a little over 15 pounds.

March 27th, 2013, 01:08 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
The twins eat between 36-44 ounces a day. I'd just add some and see if that helps!
marybethsmom likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

March 27th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It worries me b/c she was in the 50-75% for height and the 95+% for weight at her 4 month appt. Dr said according to her height, she should technically weigh two lbs less than she did.

March 27th, 2013, 01:18 PM
mommaof4andhalf's Avatar Mighty Midget Minion Mom
Oh honey don't worry about that. I have a little beast and trust me, it will slow down. His 6 month appointment he only gained a pound and the little oinker eats all the time. He has 4 oz every 3-4 hours sometimes 6oz if he wants more. As she becomes more active she will level out and everything will catch up I promise.
LoverlyJules and cincy1luv like this.

-Chrissy. Momma to a teenage girl, a preteen girl, a little girl, and 2 boys. Straight Jacket Bound!!!!
March 27th, 2013, 01:43 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
That's exactly what I was going to say...once she's up and crawling/walking, her weight gain will slow down. No worries!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

March 27th, 2013, 05:34 PM
cincy1luv's Avatar 1st time mommy
I agree with the ladies!
March 30th, 2013, 03:46 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I would feed her if she needs it. Once they start moving they'll lose any uneccesary fat. Luyando's intake changes by the day; some days she'll do 30oz or more and other days we can barely get 20oz into her.

Sisters, friends forever
March 30th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So I upped her bottles & she's doing so much better! 1st bottle - 8 oz, 2 hr nap, 2nd bottle - 7 oz, 2 hour nap, 3rd bottle 7 oz, last bottle b/f bed, 8 oz sleep 11-12 hours with only one wake up for noonie! Thanks ladies!
yashobo and LoverlyJules like this.

March 30th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad it worked!

I think Esther is nursing about 8 times (maybe a little more-- cluster feeds in the evenings), and about 6 are from slightly engorged breasts, which usually I can pump about 5oz from them in that state. Babies are more efficient, so I'm going to assume she's getting at least 6oz from the breast each of those 6 feedings, and probably 2-4oz the other times, which works out to somewhere in the 40-44oz range. There's my very unscientific method of figuring out how much my baby eats, LOL.
yashobo likes this.
March 31st, 2013, 02:09 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad it worked. I wish mine ate well consistently.My mom said I was like her as a baby; never liked my food. It took some tough love to get me to eat and now as an adult I LOVE food.

Sisters, friends forever

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search