Water

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Tiffany8620
  • 3 Post By Belita
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 3 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 1 Post By yashobo
  • 1 Post By wingqueen26
  • 1 Post By JillMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2013, 01:40 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's 6m that you can give them water, right?? Why do we wait? And how much can we give them?

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
April 3rd, 2013, 02:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm unsure. I never gave Riley water until he was over one and transitioned to cow's milk. I don't have any plans to give water to Eve either. I would rather she have breast milk, because of the nutritional value rather than water which has nothing.
JillMama likes this.
April 3rd, 2013, 03:33 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I've been pumping like crazy so when Jonah uses a cup he can have BM rather than water. I gave my other kids water...I can't remember at what age though.

April 3rd, 2013, 04:10 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I waited on water until age 1, when Josiah transitioned to cow's milk. I will do the same with Jamison.

April 3rd, 2013, 06:37 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My pedi said water and diluted juice at 6 months. I think the fear is that people will give them too much and there won't be as many nutrients getting into their system since "food before 1 is just for fun."

I'm pumping so I can give Sean breastmilk, but I want him to learn to use his straw sippy with water so I'm not wasting that liquid gold as he's getting the hang of it.

April 3rd, 2013, 06:43 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Yes, you can give them water at 6 months, but it isn't necessary...BM and formula are better. It is fine for them to have water in their sippy when they are learning how to drink from it, but limit them to a few sips here and there; babies can actually suffer from water intoxication which leads to seizures...definitely not something to mess around with!
Summerdays12 likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 3rd, 2013, 06:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
Yes, you can give them water at 6 months, but it isn't necessary...BM and formula are better. It is fine for them to have water in their sippy when they are learning how to drink from it, but limit them to a few sips here and there; babies can actually suffer from water intoxication which leads to seizures...definitely not something to mess around with!
I read about that intoxication! Scary stuff! Who knew water was that dangerous!??!

April 3rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I always give water after solids. Especially with my kids having teeth, I prefer the water to wash off the sugary fruits. Early on they only take a few sips anyway. A lot of people get crazy about fluoride in water and if you are against that, you'll want to get bottled or use filters.
April 3rd, 2013, 06:58 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What is the harm with the flouride?

April 3rd, 2013, 07:10 PM
mommaof4andhalf's Avatar Mighty Midget Minion Mom
I agree with Kristen. I give Dillon about an ounce of water a day. He doesn't drink it all but it's there for him to have after he eats his food.

-Chrissy. Momma to a teenage girl, a preteen girl, a little girl, and 2 boys. Straight Jacket Bound!!!!
April 3rd, 2013, 07:17 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
My pedi said water and diluted juice at 6 months. I think the fear is that people will give them too much and there won't be as many nutrients getting into their system since "food before 1 is just for fun."

I'm pumping so I can give Sean breastmilk, but I want him to learn to use his straw sippy with water so I'm not wasting that liquid gold as he's getting the hang of it.
Good idea Robyn! I got Jonah a straw sippy and was wondering how to let him explore the straw without wasting my liquid gold!

April 3rd, 2013, 07:43 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I can't speak about it too much as I have not joined the anti-fluoride craze, but many of my friends have... to the point of not drinking tap water and never using fluorinated toothpaste. Basically fluoride is super toxic. I pulled this link quickly, if it's interesting to you I'd do your own research, as I said I am not one to talk as we use it in moderation in my home because we come from a family of BAD teeth.

http://www.nofluoride.com/

http://tv.naturalnews.com/v.asp?v=42...1f340b54694975

Last edited by bostoncreampie; April 3rd, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
April 3rd, 2013, 09:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My Pedi stated when she was a few weeks old to give .5ml of water, which wasnt much every blue in the moon, esp when she had gas or when she was getting over heated.

He said now I can give her maybe an oz every once in a while... you usually dont want to give them until 1 year, is what my pedi said.

April 4th, 2013, 02:10 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Luyando got a teaspoon of water couple of times in the early months to help ease her constipation and it did help. Now she takes a mouthful after solids which is once or twice per day depending on how the day goes.
Pageturner likes this.

Sisters, friends forever
April 4th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Pageturner
Michael turns 6 months in a couple of weeks and I gave him a tiny bit of water just to practice the sippy cup and wash down his food a little. He didn't drink much. Tiny bits are ok. Here's a link to a babycenter article about why giving a lot of water is not good:

http://www.babycenter.com/408_when-c...ter_1368488.bc
April 5th, 2013, 10:58 AM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are no fluoridated water supplies in our county, so no worries there but I would only give him bottled water anyway. I started Adele around 8 months when it was super warm outside and I thought she could use a drink between bottles. I will start her brother on water around the same time.
JillMama likes this.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

April 6th, 2013, 06:26 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies
Pageturner likes this.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
April 6th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Veteran
Just wanted to add a note about bottled water here; many brands of the "nursery" distilled bottled water you purchase in the baby isle in the grocery store or at Babies R Us has added fluoride. Be sure to check the bottles if you are trying to avoid it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search