First Foods

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Jinnah
As the babies are nearing six months, some of us have already started solids, and the rest of us are about to start... what is the first food your little one is trying? If they have already tried it, how did they like it?

Elijah has tried Organic Brown Rice cereal that his dad brought home and insisted he try. Elijah loved it and tried to grab the bowl and spoon and wanted to feed himself! LOL.

I am going to buy some type of vegetable for him to try next... maybe squash or carrots. I like BeechNut the best, so I will be looking for that brand. Which brands do you like?

Last edited by Jinnah; April 5th, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
April 5th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I don't know what brands I like! Since I stay home with Jonah while the big kids are at school I have had time to purée carrots and sweet potatoes already. He has not tried any yet though. He will be 6 months next week but not sure if I will introduce anything yet.
Jinnah likes this.

April 5th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerdays12 View Post
I don't know what brands I like! Since I stay home with Jonah while the big kids are at school I have had time to purée carrots and sweet potatoes already. He has not tried any yet though. He will be 6 months next week but not sure if I will introduce anything yet.
When are you planning on starting?

I just got home from shopping. I bought sweet potatoes, squash, peas, green beans, carrots, peas, and chicken. I also bought some formula to mix with the cereal since my pump broke. He's never had formula! I just used water when he tried the cereal. I'm probably going to start him on squash.
April 5th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I just ordered a pump and my insurance covered it! A new law passed, no prescription required. If you want the info let me know and maybe you can get a new pump!

I don't know when I will start him on solids. He can next week as he will be six months but not sure if he is totally ready. I did let him explore with a banana chunk a couple of weeks ago. He tasted it but mostly played with it.
JillMama and Jinnah like this.

April 5th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Eve started with squash, then peaches, apples, carrots and bananas for the first time yesterday. She loves it all, but so far I think carrots are her very favorite.
Jinnah likes this.
April 5th, 2013, 02:22 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
The twins will be 6 months adjusted on Monday, so I think we'll do solids for the first time this weekend so Daddy can see. We'll probably start with acorn squash or sweet potatoes (homemade).
Jinnah likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

April 5th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
I just ordered a pump and my insurance covered it! A new law passed, no prescription required. If you want the info let me know and maybe you can get a new pump!

I don't know when I will start him on solids. He can next week as he will be six months but not sure if he is totally ready. I did let him explore with a banana chunk a couple of weeks ago. He tasted it but mostly played with it.
Yes, I definitely want the info! I just tried the brown rice cereal with formula, and he HATED it. HATED IT. He looked horrified, shuddered, and then he wouldn't eat anymore of it and he normally loves that cereal (he's had it about four times, before, and he ate the whole bowl). The other times I just mixed it with water... does anyone else do that? I know it's better to mix it with BM or formula, but I can't pump right now.
April 5th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I put a frozen banana chunk in one of those mesh food holders with a handle about an hour ago...e sort of liked it.

Breast pump- call 800-321-0591 between the hours of 8-5 eastern time. Have your insurance card ready, the number to your insurance company, and the name and number of your doctor. That's it!
JillMama and Jinnah like this.

April 5th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
I put a frozen banana chunk in one of those mesh food holders with a handle about an hour ago...e sort of liked it.

Breast pump- call 800-321-0591 between the hours of 8-5 eastern time. Have your insurance card ready, the number to your insurance company, and the name and number of your doctor. That's it!
Thank you! I will call on Monday!

I feel so bad that Elijah hated the cereal because I put formula in it. I might let him try something else... poor baby!
April 5th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Meghan has had prunes for constipation for a month now, she tolerates it. We started oatmeal this week & she seems ok with it, not loving it, but eats it. Im gonna try veggies in a couple of weeks.

April 5th, 2013, 06:41 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Jinnah, I hand express BM for my purees. You really don't need that much to get the right consistency, so I bet you could do it too! Hand Expressing Your Milk | Ask Dr. Sears®

I make my own purees. We started with carrots, mixed with BM. Then he had bananas. Today, I mixed steel cut oats with banana and breastmilk, and used the hand mixer to blend it smooth. He LOVED it! Next up will be avocado,apples, pears, and sweet potato.

April 5th, 2013, 06:43 PM
marinewife01's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:

Tricare covers it?

Kaela-11 Ben-6 Avrey-8 months

April 5th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We aren't introducing anytime soon. She'll get her first food when she decides to take it off my plate. Here's to hoping she goes for green veggies first.
JillMama likes this.
April 5th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinewife01 View Post
Tricare covers it?
Yes

Marinewife..you would just need your ID card handy.
marinewife01 likes this.

April 5th, 2013, 08:25 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
We tried baby Gerber brand rice cereal for almost 2 weeks and she went gaga over it. So the next week we added a little bit of strained baby applesauce.
So far she has been eating rice cereal, applesauce,nanners,and peaches.
I have done it like this with all my babies.
April 5th, 2013, 08:31 PM
marinewife01's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Yes

Marinewife..you would just need your ID card handy.
Awesome, thanks. I've always been told I could get a free pump but never knew how to get it. I will be calling on Monday!
Summerdays12 likes this.

Kaela-11 Ben-6 Avrey-8 months

April 7th, 2013, 09:52 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
We're doing Baby Led Weaning and havent started yet. I think his first food will be banana

April 7th, 2013, 10:14 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
We're going to start on the 18th, his 6 month bday and we're going to do bananas. I haven't thought much past that.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

April 7th, 2013, 09:30 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to call for a pump too! I mean I have one but why not have another on hand thanks Erin!!

Jett's had Earths Best oatmeal with bm he loves that. Some avocado with bm liked that too. A little sweet potato when I made it to freeze. And today I looked over and my brother was feeding him something... He's a great cook, I was like what the heck is that?! He said homemade apple sauce.. I said well what's in it.. He said apples cinnamon blah blah and I hear him say honey! Of course I freaked, he was like NO I said there is NO honey in it ( he's a dad he knows better) lmao. Then a min later he goes lets try this now... Gets out another mushed contained I was like ***?!?! What's that??? You can't introduce more food like that. He said sweet potato... Well lucky guy. He's already had sweet potato with no reaction. Lol. Family.
Summerdays12 likes this.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
April 8th, 2013, 12:16 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
We started Jamison on solids the very beginning of this month. His first food was steamed carrots pureed with breastmilk. I introduced bananas with breast milk next. Then I pureed bananas with steel cut oats and breastmilk. Then pears, then sweet potatoes. I just bought the gerber oatmeal cereal with banana, and will mix that with his fruit purees for breakfast. Today was the first day I gave him two solid meals instead of just one. My plan is to do cereal/fruit for breakfast, and some sort of veggie for dinner. I wish he would just stay little forever Can't believe we're already to this point!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search