13 Banned Foods Still Allowed in the U.S.

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2013, 06:37 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Worth reading...just curious what lengths you go to in order to keep healthy foods in your home? Do you grow a garden? Buy organic? Eat fresh vs. processed? Would love to discuss
http://www.honeycolony.com/article/1...897da6bd6e8e5b

April 5th, 2013, 06:55 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We buy fresh fruits/veggies when we can. DH grew up on canned veggies, I prefer frozen. I'm not able to eat much processed food because of having to be gluten-free. FiL has a garden and will sometimes bring us veggies.

We are FAR from really healthy, but we try!

April 5th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aside from my major downfalls of chocolate and sugar, I aim to buy organic when the cost difference is MINIMAL (like a dozen eggs for $2.35 vs $2.50.... I can handle an extra 1.2 cents for an egg. I buy locally grown whenever possible. I use in season veggies as much as possible, and frozen fruits/veggies (they are usually frozen in their prime). I can't normally afford organic, so I try to avoid GMOs as much as possible. We are a soy-free and onion-free home due to allergies, so we are pretty much a 100% homemade household. Everything is cooked from scratch, so I know what goes into it. I don't even use canned soups or anything like that organic or not. We grow a garden every summer, and I HOPE to can/freeze some from the garden this summer. We are moving more and more toward "growing food, not lawns". We have 3 dwarf fruit trees in our back yard, a black berry bush, I want to add blueberry bushes.... We pick at upicks through the summer to make our own jams and freeze our own fruits/veggies through the summer so we have it for the winter. I guess I'm pretty much all about getting clean foods, as much as I can afford. I even went so far as to make homemade food dyes last weekend.
April 5th, 2013, 07:50 PM
We buy organic fruits, veggies, and milk. Our poultry and beef are all local and organic. We grow a garden in the summers, and try to find the "healthier" versions of classic kid snacks... fruit leather with no added dyes/corn syrup vs. fruit roll ups, Annie's Cheddar Bunnies vs. Goldfish Crackers, Stonyfield Organics yogurt squeezes vs. GoGurt, etc.

April 5th, 2013, 08:05 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
sarah i think we are so similar. what you said.
doremi likes this.
April 5th, 2013, 09:47 PM
cuatx, that is so awesome that you have so many locally produced products at your fingertips! We have access to a ton of local produce, and have been debating buying from a local farm beef in bulk... they sell 1/4 cow, 1/2 cow, etc. We just don't have a ton of freezer space, which is what has kept us from doing it!

April 6th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Our farmers market runs June-Sept. Can't wait! Most of the farming here is done either north of us in the more rural areas, or on the eastern side of the state (apples!). I feel SO lucky to live where good, organic produce is available locally though. When I lived in TX, it was so much harder to find locally grown, pesticide free foods.

April 6th, 2013, 07:38 AM
mommaof4andhalf's Avatar Mighty Midget Minion Mom
I'm making an attempt at growing a herb garden this spring. Hubby and I are starting to delve a little deeper into homemade food and it's borderline impossible to find fresh herbs. Once we get our house I would love to do a small garden and home grow our vegetables.

-Chrissy. Momma to a teenage girl, a preteen girl, a little girl, and 2 boys. Straight Jacket Bound!!!!
April 6th, 2013, 03:17 PM
SabrinaH's Avatar Pregnant with #1!
I wish we were better at eating organic, local, non-preservative food, but just getting to the grocery store is so hard since we both work full time, a dog, 3 cats and oh yeah, a baby to take care of.

April 8th, 2013, 05:11 AM
1st time mom
I am slowing starting to create healthier eating habits for my family. We have been pretty unhealthy and need to get on track so things like this are always interesting to me. I try to always buy the product that has less ingredients in it.. I try to use honey as a sweetener instead of sugar when I can..I am starting to make more things from scratch that before I would just buy processed (French fries, chicken nuggets, baked goods, soups).. But one thing that's really hard for me is buying organic. I don't have the money to shop at whole foods because its twice as expensive as our target.. But I have a really hard time finding any organic foods at our targets or walmarts. I might do my shopping at krogers (lots of organics there) when I visit my dad but that's a 25 minute drive home and that's a long time for food to be left out after shopping.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search