I need help.

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Jinnah
Earlier, I gave Elijah some brown rice cereal with formula. He had the brown rice cereal (ETA: mixed with water) a couple of weeks ago, and seemed fine, although one time he threw up hours later. Not sure if it was from that, or not. Today, he HATED the rice cereal mixed with the formula. He had maybe five baby spoons of it, as he kept spitting it out. After that, he took a nap for about two hours. When he woke up, he still seemed tired. He play lightly with DH, but wasn't as excited as he usually is when DH gets home. He then started choking and throwing up. He did this several times, then he turned really pale and got really lethargic. I knew right then that something wasn't right. I told DH we had to go to the ER. We went, he was really pale, lethargic, and choking on his throw-up that had turned greenish. They said it was bile/stomach acid.

He was rushed to the back because he was choking on it. The doctor had his blood drawn, but didn't seem overly concerned. The blood tests came back completely normal, which I knew they would, as he didn't seem sick (like with a virus). I felt that it was from either the rice cereal or the formula.

My DD had a milk allergy, and she threw the formula up the time I gave it to her, but she also had hives, and other symptoms like eczema. The doctor said it didn't seem like an allergic reaction to him, but to not give him anymore formula and to keep breastfeeding him. He said he didn't have an infection... he wasn't quite sure what was wrong.

We really should have taken him the the children's hospital instead of the regular one, but it is further, and I was afraid he would choke in the carseat.

What could this be? What do I do? The doctor does not know what is wrong.

He has been hiccuping for like 45 minutes now.

Last edited by Jinnah; April 6th, 2013 at 07:17 AM.
April 6th, 2013, 12:03 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
BF-ing him is the absolute best thing for him right now. With a milk allergy in the family, I would most definitely steer clear of formula since it isn't a necessity for you. As I mentioned in your other thread, even though you don't currently have a breast pump, you can hand express milk to mix with his cereal/purees. Given that this happened after BOTH times you gave rice/formula, I would lean towards thinking it is an allergy. Rice is the least allergenic of the grains, so it is most likely the formula. If you absolutely have to give formula, see if you can find powdered goats milk formula... the best alternative for a baby with a dairy allergy.

April 6th, 2013, 06:09 AM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Scary, Im sorry

Is this the first time he's had the formula, too?
April 6th, 2013, 06:27 AM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just read your other post, I'd definitely suspect the formula.
April 6th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Jinnah
The first few times he had the rice cereal, I mixed it with water. He was fine each of those times, except for the one time he threw up many hours later. Yesterday was the first time he had EVER tried formula. This is one of the scariest things I have seen. He was so lethargic it was scary.

I looked up vomiting and lethargy after formula and I read about this scary condition called FPIES. Does anyone know anything about that? I will definitely NEVER give him formula ever again.
April 6th, 2013, 07:45 AM
mommaof4andhalf's Avatar Mighty Midget Minion Mom
I've never heard of it. I am so sorry you are going through that. Poor baby. I bet he felt awful!

You say he threw up some hours after the cereal and water as well? It sounds like the cereal isn't setting well with his tummy on top of the reaction to the formula. I would try something other than the rice cereal.

I hope you can find a happy medium with your little man to where he can eat and not be sick. Please keep us updated.

-Chrissy. Momma to a teenage girl, a preteen girl, a little girl, and 2 boys. Straight Jacket Bound!!!!
April 6th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Jinnah
Yes. I believe he had the rice cereal with water three or four times. One of the times, he threw up several hours later.

This time, he threw up multiple times to the point it turned into green bile.

I'm afraid to try anything else, as with the FPIES thing, it can happen with multiple foods. I'm not convinced it's that, though, because I've read that bloodwork often comes up abnormal and the doctors think it's sepsis. The doctor said Elijah's bloodwork came back completely normal.

I'm hoping it's just a reaction to formula. My DH tried the formula and started gagging immediately after he drank it, saying it smelled and tasted awful.

I just don't get the lethargy and paleness. The nurse also said he felt cold, but his temperature was normal as well.
April 6th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Just speculating of course but maybe he was so lethargic and pale because his little body was fighting so hard to eject the formula that it exhausted him?

I agree that the formula is really gross. It was rough when I kept trying to BF and my body dried up. We tried everything and the counselor said that sometimes it just doesn't happen. We have had so many gastric issues with Pickle because of formula. I can't wait until he is off of it all together.

-Chrissy. Momma to a teenage girl, a preteen girl, a little girl, and 2 boys. Straight Jacket Bound!!!!
April 6th, 2013, 08:14 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Is it possible that he has a stomach virus?
April 6th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof4andhalf View Post
Just speculating of course but maybe he was so lethargic and pale because his little body was fighting so hard to eject the formula that it exhausted him?

I agree that the formula is really gross. It was rough when I kept trying to BF and my body dried up. We tried everything and the counselor said that sometimes it just doesn't happen. We have had so many gastric issues with Pickle because of formula. I can't wait until he is off of it all together.
I agree that he could be lethargic because he was fighting so hard to eject the formula.

I don't like how his eyes looked, though. He normally has a twinkly in his eyes... when this happened, he looked defeated. It was so scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoncreampie View Post
Is it possible that he has a stomach virus?
I would say no. I'm so germaphobe, we homeschool (so we aren't really exposed to anything), no one else is sick, I hand sanitize when I go out, etc. He was completely fine before, and he is completely fine today. It's so odd.
April 6th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Jinnah
Our pediatrician just called and I told her what happened and asked about FPIES and if she had ever heard of it. She said she has seen it, and this might be it. She said not to ever give him formula again, and that I need to not consume anymore milk since he had the reaction. She is sending him to see a GI doctor, and will see us on Wednesday, also. She said if he ever needs formula, she will give him some special kind (I can't remember the name). She does not think it was the rice cereal, just the formula. He cannot try any other dairy product until at least one year. I am so glad she called. She sounded very knowledgeable and it's nice have someone take control of the situation.
doremi and mommaof4andhalf like this.
April 6th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Thank goodness! At least you have an idea as to what is going on. Please keep us posted.

April 6th, 2013, 09:40 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I'm glad you're getting somewhere with answers!
April 6th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
On my this is scary hope your little guy s doing much better today.

April 6th, 2013, 02:33 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I'm so glad you have a doctor you can trust. It sounds like she will make sure you guys get excellent care. How scary! But how wonderful that you are a mama who CAN BF, since that is what your little guy needs right now.
Jinnah likes this.

April 6th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
My daughter has a severe dairy allergy, she's 19 months old. No matter how little she get (someone screwed up and gave her something that was cooked in a few tsp's of butter), she throws up VERY intensely a few hours later, quite a few times, and then its like it never even happened.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/30/15! It's A Girl!

April 6th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaSunshine View Post
My daughter has a severe dairy allergy, she's 19 months old. No matter how little she get (someone screwed up and gave her something that was cooked in a few tsp's of butter), she throws up VERY intensely a few hours later, quite a few times, and then its like it never even happened.
Poor baby! Dairy allergies suck really bad. I've been through that with my dd.

Does she have any other allergic symptoms? Does she ever get lethargic or throw up bile?
April 6th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Super Mommy
We have VERY VERY severe milk allergies in our babies for the first year. We have seen some crazy things because of it but never been threw anything like you described. I don't know what it could be and pray it never happens again. I can't imagine how scared you guys must have been... So sorry.
April 6th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymama10 View Post
We have VERY VERY severe milk allergies in our babies for the first year. We have seen some crazy things because of it but never been threw anything like you described. I don't know what it could be and pray it never happens again. I can't imagine how scared you guys must have been... So sorry.
What has happened to your babies?

The craziest thing is that Elijah's poop is yellow again. It's been green for months! I was told to cut dairy, and I haven't had any all day and his poop is yellow today... can it change that fast???

My husband tried the formula and gagged and said it was disgusting and he thinks it's just so different from what Elijah was used to that it made him really sick.
April 8th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Jinnah
I have been researching FPIES and now I'm not so sure that's what it is. From what I have read, babies with FPIES have abnormal blood test results during/after the reaction. Elijah's blood test results were normal. Is it possible he just has an intolerance to formula or dairy? Can you get lethargic after throwing up too much?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search