Milk blister

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lavenderlady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2013, 04:07 PM
marinewife01's Avatar Super Mommy
So about a month or so ago I thought I had thrush. I have a white pimple looking dot on my nipple that the dr confirmed last Friday is a milk blister. She told me to use the lanolin but it doesn't seem to be helping. How the heck do I get rid of this thing, it hurts! I've had it for a good month or more.

Kaela-11 Ben-6 Avrey-8 months

April 7th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Veteran
Ouch, they hurt! I have one that's over 2 months old. Last week I finally broke down and got a prescription for it - Jack Newman's nipple cream. It's a mixture of 3-4 ingredients that the pharmacist mixes together. In my case, there was only one pharmacy in the area that offered it and I had to wait almost a week for the "compound pharmacist" to come in and mix it (I was surprised it was so difficult to get, I live in a very populated area that is pro-breastfeeding). It goes for $65 without insurance; my insurance covered it and it still cost me $50. So far it does seem to help but I have to be diligent in applying it. The other technique that I've been doing is using a needle to open the edges of the blister and remove the white skin if I'm able. It seems like the milk collects under the flaps and makes it worse. It is *very slowly* getting smaller. But, considering it's been there two months I know I can't expect it to heal overnight. I try not to get upset that my daughter may be ingesting some of the prescription even though they say it's safe that she does - but I have tried every other method: constant nursing on that side, taping a olive oil soaked cotton ball to my nipple, applying calendula oil, no nursing bra, letting it dry out, etc. Oh, I'm now also taking lethecin as a supplement. That's supposed to help the texture of your milk to prevent future milk blisters. I'm sure you've already googled it by now and gotten a bunch of info. If you have any questions feel free to ask away
April 7th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I've tried the needle thing and opening it up and soaking it in salt water before and after, been doing that for a week now and it's not helping. It feels more ore after messing with it with the needle.

I read about the lethecin but haven't looked it up where to buy it in my area. Did you have to get a prescription from your dr for the jack newmans nipple cream?

April 7th, 2013, 06:05 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Those hurt more than mastitis. I was lucky and had both at the same time though!

What helped me was to sterilize a needle and stick it inside and push it out. I had to do this quite a few different times, and at the same time I took soy lecithin. I got my bottle at CVS and had to take it a few times a day I think at first and then spaced it out where it was just once a day. That finally did it.
April 7th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Stuck a needle inside and push it out?

April 8th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Veteran
Yes, I had to get the Dr. Jack Newman's nipple cream from my doctor. And the needle does help me, I'm very gentle with it - opening it up and loosening the white edges. I don't go crazy with it because I don't want to make it worse than what it already is.
April 8th, 2013, 07:54 AM
I've used a needle to open it up but not sure how to push it out lol.

April 8th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Veteran
I don't push anything out in mine; I just loosen the white edges. Sometimes they peel away. Hopefully Kristen can explain what her technique is, it might be helpful to both of us
marinewife01 likes this.
April 13th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoncreampie View Post
Those hurt more than mastitis. I was lucky and had both at the same time though!

What helped me was to sterilize a needle and stick it inside and push it out. I had to do this quite a few different times, and at the same time I took soy lecithin. I got my bottle at CVS and had to take it a few times a day I think at first and then spaced it out where it was just once a day. That finally did it.
How do you push it out? I thought it was going away and now it hurts again. I've been popping it, putting peroxide on it and soaking it in salt water. And of course I wash my nipple before feeding. I got some lecithin today.

April 13th, 2013, 08:11 PM
I think for mine I tried to soak it a bit with a warm cloth, puncture it and then immediately get in a very hot shower and hand express and then nurse before it closed up again. I got milk collecting in it for weeks after but I could eventually just scrape it a bit with my nail or a needle and then the hard milk would come out easier. I am so sorry you have one. Definitely do the soy lecithin, it works if you do high doses.
April 13th, 2013, 08:17 PM
I found this I http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/
April 13th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Does it matter if it doesn't say soy? I always puncture it and nurse after and I make sure milk comes out beforehand . I've never gotten hard milk out though. I took 3 of the lecithing tonight. It says to take 3 pills 1-2 times a day.

April 13th, 2013, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure... the ones I bought said soy but I don't think that kellymom article mentioned it being soy.

It took awhile for mine to heal, I think it is a bit of a process. But if I remember correctly, the lechithin helped within a few days. My blister kept refilling, but once I started the pills it just went away and didn't come back.
April 13th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoncreampie View Post
I'm not sure... the ones I bought said soy but I don't think that kellymom article mentioned it being soy.

It took awhile for mine to heal, I think it is a bit of a process. But if I remember correctly, the lechithin helped within a few days. My blister kept refilling, but once I started the pills it just went away and didn't come back.
Ok thanks. I hope this gets rid of it, it hurts so bad.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search