Formula intolerance?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Summerdays12

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Jinnah
I put this on my other thread, but figured I should start a new one. I have been researching FPIES and now I'm not so sure that's what it is. From what I have read, babies with FPIES have abnormal blood test results during/after the reaction. Elijah's blood test results were normal. Is it possible he just has an intolerance to formula or dairy? Can you get lethargic after throwing up too much? Do most people start throwing up bile after their stomach has emptied? Has anyone's babies had a formula intolerance? How did you know?
April 8th, 2013, 11:24 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I don't know about babies, but after I had a horrible reaction to a painkiller I was given after a root canal, I threw up bile. It was awful. I was dehydrated from puking and so weak...I'd say that it is very possible that your poor little guy was absolutely exhausted and weak from the vomiting.

I'm so sorry he had such an awful reaction and hope you can find some answers!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 8th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Jinnah
mommaof4andhalf mentioned this in my other thread and I'm really wondering if that is the case since his CBC was normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
I don't know about babies, but after I had a horrible reaction to a painkiller I was given after a root canal, I threw up bile. It was awful. I was dehydrated from puking and so weak...I'd say that it is very possible that your poor little guy was absolutely exhausted and weak from the vomiting.

I'm so sorry he had such an awful reaction and hope you can find some answers!
Sounds terrible! Thinking that is what happened here.
April 8th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
The day before you posted about what happened it reminded me of something that I had read just the day before. I can't remember where I read it but I know it was from one of my online groups. I think it was my breast feeding one. Anyway, there was a story about a momma who was feeding her baby rice cereal (in a bottle) and after a few times the baby started acting different. I didnt read the whole story because it really didn't apply to me. At one point the baby actually turned blue and wasn't breathing right. If I remember correctly it had something to do with the rice cereal. I wish I read the entire story or at least remember where I read it It was something about dehydration which was caused by the rice cereal. Can you feed Elijah oatmeal instead???

April 8th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Jinnah
Yes, I will definitely not use rice cereal ever again. The doctor said it's not the rice cereal, but I read that if it is FPIES, it could be the rice cereal. DH is going to buy some barley or oatmeal to try instead.

DH keeps telling me he has had an upset stomach for several days, so he thinks Elijah really just had a stomach bug, and the formula really upset it. I just don't know what to think.

My mom's opinion is that he was not used to solids, I made it way too thick, and added formula (which he had never tried before) and that it was just too much for him.

What breastfeeding group do you belong to? I'll try to find the story.
April 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM
It's on FB breastfeeding/mama talk, and three called breast is best.. I'm also part of a private closed group which I think I can add you too if you would like.

Actually it's just two called breast is best

April 8th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerdays12 View Post
It's on FB breastfeeding/mama talk, and three called breast is best.. I'm also part of a private closed group which I think I can add you too if you would like.

Actually it's just two called breast is best
Okay, thanks, that would be great.
April 8th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I tried adding you to the group..let me know if it worked!

April 8th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Jinnah
Just joined the groups that are not private.

I just talked to a friend who told me her dd went through this (vomiting bile, etc.) and it just turned out she could.t handle formula... feeling hopeful that is all this is. Really wishing I had just continued mixing the rice cereal with water until I get a new pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerdays12 View Post
I tried adding you to the group..let me know if it worked!
I don't see the request... am I showing up?
April 8th, 2013, 01:36 PM
No, you're not showing up. I'll try again again.
Jinnah likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search