Do babies NEED cereal?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 3 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 2 Post By hiskid1324
  • 1 Post By Tiffany8620
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2013, 11:07 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I hadn't planned on giving the babies cereal...I don't see why they need it. Today at our check-up, though, the nutritionist suggested that I give it to them because they need the iron. Thoughts?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 10th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Jonah's pediatrician said the same thing to me yesterday. I started Jonah on solids two days ago but with avocado. I did buy a can of steel cut oats and made the oats into a powder in my magic bullet. I will try it out maybe this weekend.

April 10th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't been giving Eve cereal with her solids. Maybe I should? She has her 6 month appointment on Friday. I'll ask then.
April 10th, 2013, 01:34 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
There are other ways for them to get their iron, but I have chosen to give Jamison a small amount of cereal mixed with his fruits in the mornings since it DOES have the iron, and it seems to help his reflux. We did oats instead of rice.

April 10th, 2013, 06:39 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
We won't be able to give Emmy any kind of grains until she's closer to a year, because of family allergies on my side. Our pedi said we can give her spinach for iron. We will discuss it more at her 6 month appointment which is next month but she seemed confident that she will be able to get iron from other sources.

April 10th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are doing oatmeal mixed with fruit. No rice due to constipation.

April 10th, 2013, 07:14 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
That's what I was thinking, Nina...if I just make sure that they have plenty of iron-rich foods, they'll be fine.
myfavoriteshoes likes this.

Melissa & DH

April 10th, 2013, 09:01 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
NOBODY needs cereal. It's not a natural source of iron, feed iron rich foods instead. If you are concerned, have their levels checked. Too much iron is actually pretty damaging to babies.
April 11th, 2013, 04:04 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We do rice cereal and porridge; haven't found oat here. Will try wheat soon. We just mix fruit with the rice cereal. I don't think they have to have it if you don't want them too.

Sisters, friends forever
April 11th, 2013, 06:19 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
My first we gave cereal, my second completely refused solids and started straight to table foods around 11 months and hadn't had an iron problem, so I don't plan on doing cereal this time.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

April 11th, 2013, 06:43 AM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
Coleson hates oatmeal and rice. But we are stil trying at least b/c the iron goes does down alot over time and babies need iron. There are other ways, but this is what we are trying.

April 11th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If they get breastmilk, the iron in breastmilk is HIGHLY absorbed, and it is sufficient to sustain a baby through at least the first year, probably longer. I think I saw a breakdown that showed that the iron is sufficient for an adult who was consuming 100% breastmilk even.

Personally if I was concerned about iron in my baby's diet I wouldn't be using commercial cereals. I would use chicken, turkey, and beef (pulverized in a blender or a baby food grinder), or legumes, or things like broccoli, cabbage, kale, etc, because those have very high iron and vitamin c, and vitamin c helps with iron absorption. I'd also possibly use real oatmeal rather than iron-fortified cereals. But... I'm not worried about the iron my babies get, because they are breastfed for at least one year. The older two had their iron levels checked at their well checks in January and they were both around 14, which is GREAT!
April 12th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I asked my pedi about the cereal/iron thing this morning at Eve's appointment. He said it isn't necessary, because she is getting all the iron she needs from my breast milk. He said if she did need iron we would feed iron rich foods before relying on cereal, which is basically only a filler.
bostoncreampie likes this.
April 12th, 2013, 10:41 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Thanks for all of the responses, ladies! I think I'll just steer clear of the cereal and make sure they get lots of iron-rich food. Plus they still drink a TON of formula, so I think they'll be a-okay
bostoncreampie likes this.

Melissa & DH

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search