Mispronouncing names

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Jinnah
Is anyone else still having trouble with people mispronouncing their babies names? I will say Elijah's name, and then people change the way I say it and say it wrong! I don't get that. Say it how the parent says it! Ee-lye-jah. Say the 'E', do not soften the 'J'! People soften the 'J' and say it how you say 'Asia' and it's driving me nuts because that's not how we say it.

I've probably posted this on here, before, but here it is again if anyone wants to hear it:

Example #1: Elijah Wood's Last Tweet and Testament - YouTube

Example #2: How to Pronounce Elijah | Elijah Pronunciation Tool | The Bible Workshop
April 15th, 2013, 09:44 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnah View Post
Is anyone else still having trouble with people mispronouncing their babies names? I will say Elijah's name, and then people change the way I say it and say it wrong! I don't get that. Say it how the parent says it! Ee-lye-jah. Say the 'E', do not soften the 'J'! People soften the 'J' and say it how you say 'Asia' and it's driving me nuts because that's not how we say it.

I've probably posted this on here, before, but here it is again if anyone wants to hear it:

Example #1: Elijah Wood's Last Tweet and Testament - YouTube

Example #2: How to Pronounce Elijah | Elijah Pronunciation Tool | The Bible Workshop
ALL THE TIME! and its not even a hard name!
Jinnah likes this.

April 15th, 2013, 10:45 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Yes!! If I say her name, people assume I said emily or they pronounce it emmeLINE. :facepalm: so I usually just say her name is Emmy.
Jinnah likes this.

April 15th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
Yes!! If I say her name, people assume I said emily or they pronounce it emmeLINE. :facepalm: so I usually just say her name is Emmy.
I don't understand how you ruin Emmelyn... it's easy! People just don't listen or they are just lazy.
April 15th, 2013, 11:23 AM
GiaTortilla's Avatar FTM to a princess
Yup. Almost every stranger will call her Sarah! I love that name too but it's not her name lol. Or they pronounce it sah-ree-ah. I have to tell them it's just like Mariah but with an S. some still dont catch on lol.
Jinnah likes this.

Gia - young mommy to a beautiful princess and wife to one amazing man.
6.24.10/9.24.12./5.25.13 we're married!
April 15th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The other day when we were having pictures taken the lady kept calling Eve Eva.
Jinnah likes this.
April 15th, 2013, 02:03 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
People spell Jamison's name wrong all the time (Jameson), and mispronounce Josiah's name (Joe-sy-uh, NOT Juh-zy-uh!!) It's only super duper annoying to me if it is somebody who should know better!!
Jinnah likes this.

April 15th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
I havent had any problems with Allison, or my son Zachary, but people are constantly screwing up Madelyn's name! We get MadeLINE almost every day..the best one so far has been muh-dell-in (like magellan, but madellan lol)
Jinnah likes this.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 2/1/15!

April 15th, 2013, 04:32 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE Elijah Wood and had no idea I was saying his name wrong! I think people on TV say it with the soft J!! Guess I've never heard HIM say it!
Jinnah likes this.

April 15th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverlyJules View Post
I LOVE Elijah Wood and had no idea I was saying his name wrong! I think people on TV say it with the soft J!! Guess I've never heard HIM say it!
Okay, confession time. I said it wrong before my dad pointed it out (when I was still pregnant). That's when I started researching it and found out that, yes, everyone on TV says his name wrong! I heard him say it, and I was like, "Wow, my dad is always right!" LOL.

My issue is that when I introduce my Elijah, I say it the right way, and people will change it right after I say it!! Hello!! Listen to the words that are coming out of my mouth!!

I love Elijah Wood, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyLover View Post
The other day when we were having pictures taken the lady kept calling Eve Eva.
See?! I don't understand that! Why change the name right after the parent says it?!
LoverlyJules likes this.
April 15th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thankfully, Esther is hard to mess up in pronunciation (though people misspell it all the time). Elias though..... We say Ee-lye-iss, but a lot of people say ah-lye-iss when we introduce him, or ah-lee-iss if they are reading it, and it drives me nuts.
Jinnah likes this.
April 15th, 2013, 08:21 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
People in my family STILL ask me how to pronounce Ares' name. They say it like Are-ess. Instead of air-eez.
Jinnah likes this.

April 16th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Okay, confession time. I said it wrong before my dad pointed it out (when I was still pregnant). That's when I started researching it and found out that, yes, everyone on TV says his name wrong! I heard him say it, and I was like, "Wow, my dad is always right!" LOL.

My issue is that when I introduce my Elijah, I say it the right way, and people will change it right after I say it!! Hello!! Listen to the words that are coming out of my mouth!!
Yeah! Even when you SLOWLY say it first so that they know how to say his name... most people will just be like: "oh okay, can I just call him Eli? Thats easier!" So I just tell them "as long as you know his name is Eh-lie-djah, that's okay with me."
Jinnah likes this.

Last edited by myfavoriteshoes; April 16th, 2013 at 05:19 AM.
April 16th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfavoriteshoes View Post
Yeah! Even when you SLOWLY say it first so that they know how to say his name... most people will just be like: "oh okay, can I just call him Eli? Thats easier!" So I just tell them "as long as you know his name is Eh-lie-djah, that's okay with me."
We get the Eli thing a lot. I'll say his name is Elijah, and they will say, "Oh, Eli!" or they will just read the name Elijah on the chart at the doctor's office and call out "Eli".

I think you and I say if differently, and that is not a problem. I would say it how you introduced him to me, regardless of how I say it for my Elijah.
April 16th, 2013, 09:40 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Leanna, I don't get how ares can be mispronounced. Lol. I wonder if they are just trying to give you a hard time? Or do you think they truly don't know?

April 16th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiskid1324 View Post
Thankfully, Esther is hard to mess up in pronunciation (though people misspell it all the time). Elias though..... We say Ee-lye-iss, but a lot of people say ah-lye-iss when we introduce him, or ah-lee-iss if they are reading it, and it drives me nuts.
My in-laws being spanish have translated E's name to Elias and they say "eh-lee-ahs" so its so weird to me the way you say it lol

April 16th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
We get the Eli thing a lot. I'll say his name is Elijah, and they will say, "Oh, Eli!" or they will just read the name Elijah on the chart at the doctor's office and call out "Eli".

I think you and I say if differently, and that is not a problem. I would say it how you introduced him to me, regardless of how I say it for my Elijah.
me and you? I say it like Elijah Wood's name... i think my spelling out for pronunciation was wrong
Jinnah likes this.

April 16th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Jinnah
Quote:
me and you? I say it like Elijah Wood's name... i think my spelling out for pronunciation was wrong
LOL, you put eh (short 'e' sound) and I put Ee (long 'e' sound), so I thought we say it different. I say the letter 'E' in his name when I pronounce it. Hard to describe online, I guess, lol. Sounds like we both say it the way Elijah Wood said it.
April 16th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Quote:
LOL, you put eh (short 'e' sound) and I put Ee (long 'e' sound), so I thought we say it different. I say the letter 'E' in his name when I pronounce it. Hard to describe online, I guess, lol. Sounds like we both say it the way Elijah Wood said it.
I'm French-Canadian, it might come out differently with an accent lol
Jinnah likes this.

April 16th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
I'm French-Canadian, it might come out differently with an accent lol
Now that I would love to hear!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search