Question about public school.

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree193Likes

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Jinnah
I just wanted to add that I do not want to argue with anyone. I understand that we all have differing opinions. The reason I posted this question was to help me decide if I should send my kids to public school, next year, or continue homeschooling.

I obviously have the right decide what my children are exposed to, and I do not want them told it is okay. This does not make me a homophobe. My uncle is gay and I love him. We get along very well. He knows what we believe. We are still family.

My concern is that Christians are the ones who are going to be discriminated against next. Well, Christians are always persecuted, but in this country it hasn't been so bad. I think it's going to be, soon. The second certain individuals hear what I believe, I am immediately labeled as an ignorant, uneducated, bigot. That is so far from the truth. I am very educated, and come from a very educated family. We are not bigots (that would be impossible), nor are we ignorant. Christians are starting to be told that their rights do not matter. Our rights to not have our children force fed differing beliefs are now being dismissed. We should not be forced to accept something against our religion. I've been mistreated and insulted because of my religion quite a bit, lately. The people who are crying for equal rights are trying to take rights away from Christians. They are the ones mistreating people!
firstxmommy and babymama10 like this.

Last edited by Jinnah; April 24th, 2013 at 07:37 AM.
April 24th, 2013, 07:36 AM
zubeldia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's no less inflammatory, offensive, or discriminatory because you have a religious perspective. Gender equality is also against some religious doctrines... where do we draw the line there? Should that be left out of the school curriculum? And to intimate that gay marriage leads to other forms of marriage (between humans and non human animals, I presume) is just simply outrageous.

I don;t think you see how your beliefs are precisely what creates a foundations for treating people unkindly. I am not a confrontational personal at all but I cannot not say something because whether you want to believe it, your views hurt people in very real ways. Some of us, perhaps even you, will have a gay child - imagine their suffering if they forever feel like a sinner.

rafi and charlie by zubeldia36, on Flickr
April 24th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
It's no less inflammatory, offensive, or discriminatory because you have a religious perspective. Gender equality is also against some religious doctrines... where do we draw the line there? Should that be left out of the school curriculum? And to intimate that gay marriage leads to other forms of marriage (between humans and non human animals, I presume) is just simply outrageous.

I don;t think you see how your beliefs are precisely what creates a foundations for treating people unkindly. I am not a confrontational personal at all but I cannot not say something because whether you want to believe it, your views hurt people in very real ways. Some of us, perhaps even you, will have a gay child - imagine their suffering if they forever feel like a sinner.
No, I was talking about other human relationships. Also, ages and such.

I do not treat anyone unkindly because of my beliefs. Also, you are discrediting my beliefs just because you do not agree with them. You and I have very differing viewpoints, I get that. But, please, do not try to undermine my religion.

Also, God calls us to follow Him. He didn't guarantee a pain-free life.
babymama10 likes this.
April 24th, 2013, 07:51 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
My parents are fairly conservative and had me skip out of the sex education class in 8th grade at a very liberal school outside of Boston. It was really embarrassing actually, I was the only one that had to leave the classroom. But when I got to high school and was part of the sex ed class, I could understand my mom's horror about it all. It was really explicit, they went in to some detail about homosexual sex and how to be safe in having homosexual sex and it was a bit over the top. I know in the lower levels the sex ed classes are great because they are more about tolerance and acceptance, I think some of the upper level sex ed classes make a bad impression on conservatives and have them thinking that those things are also being shared with the younger crowd.

I can see both points really, having been raised the way I was. All that to say, I am extremely open minded and supportive of gay marriage and homosexual relationships despite the fact that my parents tried to shelter me from it and are not as supportive of the lifestyle as I am.
April 24th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoncreampie View Post
My parents are fairly conservative and had me skip out of the sex education class in 8th grade at a very liberal school outside of Boston. It was really embarrassing actually, I was the only one that had to leave the classroom. But when I got to high school and was part of the sex ed class, I could understand my mom's horror about it all. It was really explicit, they went in to some detail about homosexual sex and how to be safe in having homosexual sex and it was a bit over the top. I know in the lower levels the sex ed classes are great because they are more about tolerance and acceptance, I think some of the upper level sex ed classes make a bad impression on conservatives and have them thinking that those things are also being shared with the younger crowd.

I can see both points really, having been raised the way I was. All that to say, I am extremely open minded and supportive of gay marriage and homosexual relationships despite the fact that my parents tried to shelter me from it and are not as supportive of the lifestyle as I am.
That is very fair, Kristen. I do know that my children are going to make up their own minds on the matter. As some like to suggest Christians are doing, we are not putting our children in a bubble. They know what it is. They have been taught, by me, that they are to treat all people with kindness. They have also been taught that we are to follow God's laws, not mans. I can give them a foundation and they will have to decide for themselves. I do not have to let my children be exposed to what you shared above. I am not wrong for that.
April 24th, 2013, 08:15 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't remember them ever disgusting same sex anything in school.... However if they do I don't think they're teaching whether its right or wrong just that its a fact of life. It's our job as parents to teach our kids right from wrong. To shelter your children from what goes on in the real world is such an injustice to them, IMO
zubeldia likes this.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
April 24th, 2013, 08:41 AM
From my experience with my mother, it was also about her wanting to be the one having conversations about masterbation, protection, etc rather than some random public school health teacher. Wherever you stand on the spectrum, I sort of agree in that respect.

And I do think that in some schools now, it's become more than teaching equality and respect and doesn't just include how babies are made but how two men have sex with full details and I can understand that not sitting well when you come from a religious home. I don't think the discomfort with it necessarily has to do with being a bigot, etc.
April 24th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuatx View Post
I think what makes me most mad is the religious justificiation of bigotry, discrimation and judgement from a group that shares the same religious beliefs as the church my friend is a part of who had a) the first openly gay minister in Canada and b) supports and performs gay marriages.

The bible is clearly open to interpretation in this modern day and age. To stick fast to the literal word is not what ALL Christians are doing, and in ammending the written "word of God" to the times and needs of the people, there is healing and acceptance following in the wake.

I cannot imagine teaching a child that to love another is a sin, whether it is straight, homosexual, bisexual, biracial, inter-religious, etc. That is not the job of the public school system, and I also cannot imagine shielding my child from a public education for fear that they might learn that a man can love another man and that is a fact of life.

My sister is gay, my husband's uncle is gay, we have many gay friends. In this day and age Ii find this attitude completely unacceptable. It promotes hatred, bullying and violent homophobic crimes.
I agree 10000000%
zubeldia likes this.

April 24th, 2013, 08:59 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Everything I feel and wanted to say has been said and its probably better to not keep hashing this out since her original question has been answered... But I do have a question; and I really do mean it as a question because I'm genuinely curious about it! I just wanted to clarify it, because it could probably also be read as a smart-butt comment.
So if you want to teach your children to be kind to everyone and to not bully, how can you, at the same time, teach them that loving a person of their same gender is a sin and they will go to hell for it? I just don't understand and that has always been one of my big issues with religion.
I could care less if Emmy decides she loves women! My goal in life is to raise her as a tolerant and open woman, who accepts people for who they are. As long as she's happy, so am I. If she decides she found love with a woman, well great. I'll be behind her 100%!

April 24th, 2013, 09:02 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
From my experience with my mother, it was also about her wanting to be the one having conversations about masterbation, protection, etc rather than some random public school health teacher. Wherever you stand on the spectrum, I sort of agree in that respect.
This exactly.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

April 24th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Oh, on a lighter note; I'm hoping to be a future homeschooler as well!
And Melissa, I had no idea it was illegal in Germany! Wait until my mom hears of my plan to homeschool. She already had a fit because of my "non-traditional" midwife birth and my "extended breast feeding", since I didn't wean at 4 months. .

April 24th, 2013, 09:23 AM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
Cuatx- Im not really going to pull my son out of public school because of this matter really. Butttt....I will not let him be in a class that teaches that homosexuality is ok and the basics of that matter.

I consider myself a conservative Christian and that marriage is between a man and a woman. (That is in the Bible.) I will teach both of my sons though to NOT IN ANY WAY be mean to anyone regardless of there sexual preference. Bullying is not tolerated here or in school.
babymama10 likes this.

April 24th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Quote:

And I do think that in some schools now, it's become more than teaching equality and respect and doesn't just include how babies are made but how two men have sex with full details and I can understand that not sitting well when you come from a religious home. I don't think the discomfort with it necessarily has to do with being a bigot, etc.
I wouldn't feel comfortable with school teachers teaching how ANYONE has sex. I didn't know they did this, it was not taught to us in school. We learned basics, STD pregnancy etc, but never how an actual sexual act is played out. I do feel like its a parents job to discuss this if they choose to. But I 100% am ok with them teaching kids that its a FACT OF LIFE that homosexuality exists.
zubeldia and cuatx like this.

April 24th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Well put, Jill!

April 24th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Want to throw in something here... In my classroom I purposely ordered books on blended families, bi-racial families, adopted children, foster, children with two mommies/daddies, books in Spanish (I live in So California), children in wheel chairs, children in a single parent home because I had a very diverse group of students every year. It was not uncommon for me to have a student with two mommies. I felt it was important for my students to see themselves represented in books, to see their types of families in books, not just the average joe families. It was important to me and my job as a human being to let my students know they were not abnormal for having two mommies, or for being bi-racial, etc. The public school system is full of students who are Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Catholic, Baptist, children with a disability, children who dont speak English, children who are adopted, and children with two mommys/daddys. That's the wonderful thing about public school...children learn to accept people just as they are, people not just like them. Just a little insight as to why public schools do the things they do I homeschooled my daughter when she was in the 6th grade because she was bullied far worse than her picking up a picture book that happened to show a happy family all cooking dinner together and the child telling his two mommys that he loves them.
zubeldia, JillMama and cuatx like this.

April 24th, 2013, 10:08 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Quote:
Yes. This is my issue with the direction sex ed is going in schools. I feel like the best possible way for children to learn about their sexuality and everything related to it is through open conversations with their parents. I would much rather the conversations happen organically in the home than be forced on a child potentially before they are ready for the information. By adopting a curriculum that starts in KINDERGARTEN, I feel like it discourages a lot of families from taking responsibility for those conversations, and it assumes that at X age, this is what EVERY child wants and needs to know. Obviously basic sex ed needs to happen by age 8-9 since that is statistically when puberty is starting for many. I have no problem with an adopted sex ed curriculum in the older grades, as we all know there are some less than stellar parents out there who will NOT talk about this stuff with their kids. As for same sex relationships being discussed in school, I don't have a problem with it being talked about in a factual way. 10% of the population is gay. Always has been. To relay that knowledge doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when EITHER side (conservative or liberal) tries to add morality to the discussion in a public school setting. Say that marriage can be between any two people who love each other if you're in a state that allows gay marriage, say that some people prefer heterosexual and some people prefer homosexual relationships. But leave the interpretation of those facts to the individual families.

I actually have a classroom story about homosexuality... I was reading a biography about Tchaikovsky to a third grade class. It had a page where it said he left his wife because he no longer wanted to be married. That was all it said. One of the students raised her hand with a confused look on her face and said, "But why didn't he want to be with his wife anymore?" I responded, "Well, because Tchaikovsky decided that he liked being with men instead of women." Guess whose mama called the principal FURIOUS after her daughter came home saying we were talking about a gay guy in music class? Fortunately my principal had my back. This is the kind of organic conversation I am talking about... so much better than sitting kids down as a class with a text book and force feeding them information.
bostoncreampie and JillMama like this.

April 24th, 2013, 10:18 AM
zubeldia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Summderdays, I bet you are a wonderful teacher.

The fact is that many, many parents don't teach their kids the basics around sex, STDS, pregnancies, etc., and that is a real problem. I don't necessarily want my kids to learn about sex in school before I talk with them, but at the same time I do want them to learn about other ways of living.

How would people feel if I said I didn't like a certain racial group - that I though they (or their culture) were wrong, but I wouldn't be openly hostile towards them? It would be viewed as racist and hateful - as it should be.

There are many mamas in this group who might be gay, bi, etc., or who might have same-sex parents, relatives, etc.. I am not going to lie, I feel really sad that people still think it's okay, in the year 2013, to say that homosexuality is wrong. I'm sorry, I cannot respect that, like I cannot respect racism, or other forms of hatred.
LucilleTwo, JillMama and cuatx like this.

rafi and charlie by zubeldia36, on Flickr
April 24th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Erin and Sarah, you both sound like amazing teachers. if only every teacher could be so considerate and well rounded.

April 24th, 2013, 12:40 PM
While we are now on the subject of Christianity not having a place for gay people, I would like to share this video. It is very much worth listening to. God and Gay Marriage: What the Bible Really Says About Marriage Equality - YouTube

My best friend is gay, she divorced her husband and came out of the closet a few years ago and her preacher father pretty much stopped talking to her. She is the most "real" Christian I have ever met. She is incredibly spiritual, very in touch with God and the bible. Her sexual orientation has nothing to do with her religion. I look up to her more than I look up to some Christians with their higher degrees in religion.

I'm mostly responding to Zoe, because I don't want people thinking that all Christians are intolerant or oppressive, etc. There are many Christians who do not view homosexuality as wrong. I am not affiliated with a denomination, but I do consider myself Christian and I am supportive of homosexuality, for what it's worth.
April 24th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Pageturner
All I'm going to say on this matter is that I am a Christian, and no matter what my personal religious beliefs are, EVERY human being deserves equal rights. For schools to treat same sex marriage like its wrong, is to insult an entire portion of the HUMAN population. I think we get so caught up in the debate that we forget we are talking about human beings who have feelings and can be hurt.
Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search