Question about public school.

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree193Likes

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2013, 05:27 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The last sentence of that article is inflammatory ... "Unclear about whether the girls had to kiss each other? " Really??!!? It's those kind of statements that foster anger, fear, and prejudice. Does anyone honestly think that the presenters actually forced students to kiss each other??!?

Wow ...

April 24th, 2013, 05:31 PM
zubeldia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jinnah, I don't honestly doubt that you're a nice and kind person, but that doesn't negate the fact that your views hurt people in material ways. I was brought up to think that homosexuality was abnormal (though not sinful as I wasn't raised in a religious home) and while I know my parents would have accepted me, it's sad to me that I wasn't brought up knowing for sure that that's how it would be.

I know you don't want to answer the question posed by Melissa, but I would hope that you might consider it and think about your own beliefs in light of the possibility that one of your children could be gay. Around the world people are bullied, persecuted, and violently attacked because of their sexual orientation. It is why I am so passionate - because beliefs aren't simply one's own to be cherished, they're part of a wider politics which can have murderous consequences for those deemed deviant/sinful.

i am not religious so I won't engage in that debate, but I do have a moral and ethical compass which is guided by the question: "will this do harm, will this cause suffering?"

rafi and charlie by zubeldia36, on Flickr
April 24th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Jinnah
He could find nothing in the Bible that condems same sex marriage!! One of the first things out of his mouth is a lie through manipulation. This guy is twisting and lying. He is going to mislead many. So sad.

Jesus said to keep his Father's commandments. God gave his commandments very clearly. It wasn't even considered back then that gays would marry. This guy is very misled.

Now he insinuating that the Bible is not really saying it's wrong when it says it's wrong. Edited: Just realized he isn't a Christian.

He just said the word homosexual is not used in the Bible. It just says not to lie with a man as one does with a woman. But it doesn't really mean that. Really??

Kristen, I know you were trying to be helpful, but this man is disgusting. It's making me sick to hear him preach his twisted version of the Bible. He is a liar.

Last edited by Jinnah; April 24th, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
April 24th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Jinnah
This "reverend" is not Christian. He is from the Unitarian Universalist Church of Reading. He is from a different religion and is twisting the Word of God to suit his purpose.
April 24th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Jinnah, I hadn't realised that you were quite so extreme in your views so there is probably no point in engaging in this debate. i wish you well, and hope that you might be able to find some space within yourself to raise questions about what you believe. I think that it's something we should all do regularly throughout our lives.
LoverlyJules and cuatx like this.

April 24th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Jinnah, I hadn't realised that you were quite so extreme in your views so there is probably no point in engaging in this debate. i wish you well, and hope that you might be able to find some space within yourself to raise questions about what you believe. I think that it's something we should all do regularly throughout our lives.

So extreme in my views? I have the same views that all Bible believing Christians have, so that doesn't insult me. That man is not a Christian. Of course he is saying something different.

Honestly, there never was a point to this debate. I should have not answered any questions and just kept with the original post.

I think that you might try to find some space within yourself to raise questions about what you believe. You seem to believe that I don't have the right to have my Christian beliefs without telling me I need to change something about it. I think that is very rude, and I'm surprised at that from you.
firstxmommy likes this.
April 24th, 2013, 06:56 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
So now Unitarian's aren't Christians either?

I'm not comfortable participating in this discussion anymore either. It's not my place. I hope your children don't turn out gay, for their sake!

Sorry your question turned in to a bigger debate than you had intended. Hope there have not been too many hurt feelings.
April 24th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Jinnah
That's a Universalist Church... it's different.

I'm not comfortable with this discussion, either.

I do think it's funny that all of you keep saying I hope your children aren't gay. I reject that, also. It's like you are wishing it would happen so you can smugly say, "I told you so." That's disturbing!

I'm going to leave this forum. I didn't realize how narrow-minded liberals are. The same thing they accuse Christians of being.
April 24th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As for the public schools thing, my school handled things the same way Erin's did. We just made sure to have diverse literature in our schools and tried to show models of a variety of family types.

My question on the topic of the Bible is this: how do we know God has not changed his mind? It's been almost 2,000 years since the last book was written. In some ways following the Bible feels to me like following a history book from the 1950s. Or even a science book from when I was in school in the 1990s. Pluto was a planet. Those books were just going off of the best information people had at the time, but we know now that some of that information was wrong.

I just go by Mark 12:31 "Love thy neighbor as thyself. There is no commandment greater than these." I don't feel like I have to follow everything the Bible says as long as I treat other people well and follow the Golden Rule.

And as for if Sean were to identify as gay or homosexual, I'd be upset because I want him to have as easy as a life as possible and being a gay man would make life more difficult for him. I'd love him no matter what, though.
LoverlyJules and cuatx like this.

April 24th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Jinnah please don't leave. You bring a lot to the group and I appreciate your views. I am glad that you shared your opinions and have backed them up.

I hope we can all feel safe to express our views and religious beliefs without feeling unwelcome.
doremi, JillMama and babymama10 like this.
April 24th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoncreampie View Post
Jinnah please don't leave. You bring a lot to the group and I appreciate your views. I am glad that you shared your opinions and have backed them up.

I hope we can all feel safe to express our views and religious beliefs without feeling unwelcome.
That definitely hasn't happened here. I've been labeled an extremist bigot. At this point, I'm just waiting for them to delete the account. I wouldn't have mentioned it first, but I didn't know how to do it.
April 24th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Well as co-host, I am proclaiming that there is room for all of us here, wherever we are on whatever spectrum!
marybethsmom likes this.
April 24th, 2013, 08:08 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I hate to see you go, Jinnah, even though I dont agree with your views. You did brig a lot to this group.
JillMama and babymama10 like this.

April 24th, 2013, 08:24 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, don't leave. We're not all going to agree on everything, just because we have different religious views doesn't mean we can all get along. You can always block the people you feel uncomfortable with.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
April 24th, 2013, 08:32 PM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
Jinnah...dont leave!!

April 24th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Jinnah
I'm just not comfortable here, anymore. This is supposed to be a friendly place, but it's not. Don't worry or feel bad... I'll be fine.

Just wanted to leave this before I go. A friend just sent me this today, so I guess I got my answer:

FistGate Tape #1
April 24th, 2013, 11:12 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Post another inflammatory article and then leave? Nice.
Zukin, AltMommy and cuatx like this.

April 25th, 2013, 04:46 AM
Jinnah,

I'm sorry you think you have to leave. That wasn't my intent. I do think your views are extreme, honestly. Declaring that other Christians are trying to destroy Christianity because they have different interpretations of the bible is pretty resolute. I do try to reflect upon my beliefs as I come across and engage new information and different ideas.

With all that said, we have much in common and I don't think you are a bad person or someone I can't connect with on other issues, especially around attachment parenting, and so on.

April 25th, 2013, 06:58 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Desiree you can't possibly believe that that article is true? We'd hear about that kind if stuff. Liberal or conservative, no parent would tolerate schools teaching about spitting vs swollowing.... There are plenty of other parents in the board with older children, you'd hear it from them, my niece is in HS, I'd know from her. I have clients who teach HS.... Etc etc.
zubeldia and cuatx like this.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
April 25th, 2013, 07:07 AM
mommaof4andhalf's Avatar Mighty Midget Minion Mom
I'd be whoopin wholesale a** if they taught spitting vs swallowing in my daughter's school. They teach the mechanics...that's it. Nothing about gay, straight, sideways or donkey. It's what happens if you have sex, how babies are made and what it does to your body as well as the dangers of std's and how to stay safe. The schools leave it up to parents to teach our children about same sex couples and answer their questions on it. My oldest daughter said it best "It's not a life for me, but whatever floats their boat works. I wouldn't look at them any different."
zubeldia, JillMama and cuatx like this.

-Chrissy. Momma to a teenage girl, a preteen girl, a little girl, and 2 boys. Straight Jacket Bound!!!!
Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search