Question about public school.

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree193Likes

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
Jinnah
Are public schools teaching about homosexuality? I've heard they do, but not necessarily everywhere.
April 22nd, 2013, 03:36 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Our school district has adopted a new sex ed curriculum that starts in kindergarten and that includes discussionsabout same sex couples. Not surprising since WA legalized gay marriage. I'm not happy that sex ed is being incorporated into the curriculum at such a young age, as I would like more time to discuss these things with my kids AT HOME before they start having outside influences. Just my opinion.

April 22nd, 2013, 03:38 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by doremi View Post
Our school district has adopted a new sex ed curriculum that starts in kindergarten and that includes discussionsabout same sex couples. Not surprising since WA legalized gay marriage. I'm not happy that sex ed is being incorporated into the curriculum at such a young age, as I would like more time to discuss these things with my kids AT HOME before they start having outside influences. Just my opinion.
Oh, wow. That's what I thought. I think this is something that parents should teach their children about. I am anti-bullying, and I think the schools should be, also, but this is not good. I'm trying to find out about our state, but it's hard to find out. I guess we will have to keep homeschooling if that is the case here.
jlstebbins likes this.
April 22nd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our school has a sex Ed portion of the 8th grade health curriculum. I can't say for sure what is included since I do not teach that class. I'm sure that same sex relationships are probably mentioned, but no more or less than heterosexual couples. We have a number of students with gay parents, so I think it deserved to be mentioned.

April 22nd, 2013, 04:19 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I worked for the public school system for almost a decade. Stopped during my pregnancy. Our district didn't adopt a certain curriculum but did put books in the children's library. I'm talking preschool picture books. I don't know what the middle schools did or if they had books etc. I worked for prek-6 schools.
cuatx likes this.

April 22nd, 2013, 04:21 PM
Jinnah
Thanks for the responses.
April 23rd, 2013, 09:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnah View Post
Oh, wow. That's what I thought. I think this is something that parents should teach their children about. I am anti-bullying, and I think the schools should be, also, but this is not good. I'm trying to find out about our state, but it's hard to find out. I guess we will have to keep homeschooling if that is the case here.

I didn't know you homeschooled. We also homeschool. We have been homeschooling for 15 years......I just remembered that. WOW!
How many other families homeschool here?
April 23rd, 2013, 11:43 AM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymama10 View Post
I didn't know you homeschooled. We also homeschool. We have been homeschooling for 15 years......I just remembered that. WOW!
How many other families homeschool here?
Awesome! I didn't know anyone else here homeschooled. Also curious in if there are others.

What curriculum do you use?
April 23rd, 2013, 02:15 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Not homeschooling yet, but we plan to I am SO excited about it!!

I know in my little hometown district, sex ed is only formally discussed on certain days, and they notify the parents in advance. If you do not want your kids to participate, you can keep them home that day, or the teachers will pull them out of class and let them go to the library or something during that time.
Jinnah likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 23rd, 2013, 03:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnah View Post
Awesome! I didn't know anyone else here homeschooled. Also curious in if there are others.

What curriculum do you use?
I would say we are have become VERY eclectic over the years. I wish I could just use a "canned" curriculum but my children are all so different in their academics that we have used so many. I just bought a bunch of Bob Jones grammar. They redid a ton of their children's workbooks and its so much nicer. I also have always used Sing,Spell,Read, and Write for phonics and all the children have learned to read with that program.I will use it for Emma to. The only thing is math is hard to find a good program for. I think its also that I don't like to teach math. LOL Dh does some of the higher math with the children. I am redoing a few things at the moment for two of my children. I also enrolled us all in the new Ron Paul curriculum. Have you heard about it? I am excited to see what its going to be like. The parents still have to do all the teaching but you get a ton of support and online tutoring help. It's all free.
What do you use?
Jinnah likes this.
April 23rd, 2013, 04:42 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Going to Google the Ron Paul curriculum...
babymama10 likes this.

Melissa & DH

April 23rd, 2013, 05:17 PM
Jinnah
KMH, how fun! Glad to meet another homeschooler!

Babymama10, I have not heard of it. I totally understand the eclectic approach... we have done that, also. My oldest two are doing A Beka streaming and my youngest is doing a mix of Rod & Staff and Christian Light Education.

If the kids to not go to public school next year, we will continue on with the same thing. I might also have our youngest do A Beka.
babymama10 likes this.
April 23rd, 2013, 06:24 PM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
I wil be talking to my sons school about this.

I should start homeschooling if thats the case. Or opt out.
firstxmommy, Jinnah and babymama10 like this.

April 23rd, 2013, 09:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I honestly don't know what the sex ed program here is. I'm not even sure if you can opt your kids out here anymore.

We are homeschooling (and I was homeschooled k through 12)! Rebecca is doing Horizons Preschool right now, but we are currently working (slooooooowly) on Christian Liberty Press' Adventures in Phonics and their kinder penmanship "In the Beginning" as well. She was begging for more and to learn to read, so that worked (it's very cost effective). We'll be using Ambleside Online along with Horizons Math and CLP phonics and penmanship in the fall. Elias is doing ABeka Nursery (because he begs for school too). Esther will do ABeka nursery stuff most likely and then the Horizons/CLP/AO stuff like the other two will do. Rebecca isn't technically kinder age until next year though, even though her 5th birthday is in November, so we aren't *officially* (in the legal aspect) homeschooling until the 2014-15 school year.
Jinnah and babymama10 like this.
April 24th, 2013, 07:36 AM
zubeldia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope they do! I don't necessarily want my kids to learn about sex at school at a young age but I certainly want them to know that relationships comes in many shapes and forms. Many of our friends are same sex couples with children and I would hate my boys to think there was anything abnormal about a loving relationship between two men or two women. I also want to send the message early on that my boys can have relationships with whoever they want - girls or boys. When we talk about marriage we always talk about it in terms of there being choice and we don't just present the heterosexual option.

Thankfully gay marriage is now legal in Maine. My very good friend just married her long term partner and they had a sweet baby a month ago.

rafi and charlie by zubeldia36, on Flickr
April 24th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstebbins View Post
I wil be talking to my sons school about this.

I should start homeschooling if thats the case. Or opt out.
I totally agree with you. Especially since more schools are starting to make it so you can't opt out. It would be one thing if they just gave the definition of it, but to tell children this is normal and acceptable (and not a sin) when that goes against their religious beliefs is unacceptable. I am not one to discriminate, and if I saw someone who was gay being mistreated, I would be the first to step in and stop it. BUT, that does not mean I have to think homosexuality is okay. I am a big believer in love the sinner, hate the sin. NO ONE should be mistreated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiskid1324 View Post
I honestly don't know what the sex ed program here is. I'm not even sure if you can opt your kids out here anymore.

We are homeschooling (and I was homeschooled k through 12)! Rebecca is doing Horizons Preschool right now, but we are currently working (slooooooowly) on Christian Liberty Press' Adventures in Phonics and their kinder penmanship "In the Beginning" as well. She was begging for more and to learn to read, so that worked (it's very cost effective). We'll be using Ambleside Online along with Horizons Math and CLP phonics and penmanship in the fall. Elias is doing ABeka Nursery (because he begs for school too). Esther will do ABeka nursery stuff most likely and then the Horizons/CLP/AO stuff like the other two will do. Rebecca isn't technically kinder age until next year though, even though her 5th birthday is in November, so we aren't *officially* (in the legal aspect) homeschooling until the 2014-15 school year.
How exciting that there are so many homeschoolers! I had no idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
I hope they do! I don't necessarily want my kids to learn about sex at school at a young age but I certainly want them to know that relationships comes in many shapes and forms. Many of our friends are same sex couples with children and I would hate my boys to think there was anything abnormal about a loving relationship between two men or two women. I also want to send the message early on that my boys can have relationships with whoever they want - girls or boys. When we talk about marriage we always talk about it in terms of there being choice and we don't just present the heterosexual option.

Thankfully gay marriage is now legal in Maine. My very good friend just married her long term partner and they had a sweet baby a month ago.
This is my thing... you can have your opinion on the matter, no one is arguing that. I just don't understand why the schools have to get involved in it. This is a religious matter for a lot of people. Schools should 100% teach that it is not okay to bully or mistreat someone, but that's as far as they should go. I think because it's such a controversial topic, it needs to stay out of the schools. Schools should not be able to force feed someone's child ideas on such a matter.
firstxmommy likes this.

Last edited by Jinnah; April 24th, 2013 at 07:41 AM.
April 24th, 2013, 08:00 AM
zubeldia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jinnah, there's a separation of church and state in the US and so, as a parent, I want my kids to be taught a curriculum based on human rights and not religious interpretations of what is right and wrong. By not teaching and exposing children to other forms of relationships schools become culpable in furthering homophobia, imo, and set up kids for bullying who have same sex parents or who might be gay themselves. I would hate for my child to think he is a sinner because he loves someone with a penis, and I would be horrified to think that his classmates and peers would feel that way, too.

rafi and charlie by zubeldia36, on Flickr
April 24th, 2013, 08:04 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll just quote my 10yr old daughter here, since she is the Grand daughter of TWO grandma's.

"JillMama, did you see the news about if Grandma's can get married?" Yes. "Why can't they get married? Shouldn't people be able to marry the people they love?" I said " I think so, you are living through a very important part of history right now, it wasn't long ago that African American's and white's couldn't marry. It also wasn't very long ago that women couldn't vote" (look of surprised horror on her face) "REALLY?" "Yup, it seems crazy now right? hopefully in the next few years it will also seem crazy that Grandma's can't marry too"

Jinnah, you're in a bi racial relationship, right? Do you think it's ok that if you had lived just a short time ago that you and your husband's relationship not only wouldn't have been accepted, but that you couldn't legally marry the person you love?

That being said, I am obviously all for schools talking about same sex couples in the same way the talk about a man and woman.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
April 24th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Jinnah
Zubeldia, this is a religious topic, too. That's why it should be left out of schools. What if other types of relationships want to marry... when is the line going to be drawn? I do not have a problem with teaching kids they better not mistreat ANYONE.

JillMama, since I'm coming from a religious point of view, I'm going to respond that way. Interracial relationships were never against the Bible. Man made that law, not God. If you read the types of relationships that God forbade, that is not one of them.
firstxmommy likes this.
April 24th, 2013, 08:31 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I just think it is awesome that parents here have the option to homeschool...it is illegal in Germany, Brazil, and many other countries! Thank goodness we have choices and have the freedom to decide between public schools, private schools, religious schools, homeschooling, etc. so everyone can decide what is best for their own family.
JillMama likes this.

Melissa & DH

Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search