End of the monthers, solids?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2013, 12:55 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Those of you with younger babies, have you started solids yet? If not, when are you starting? What are you starting with? Do you have any food allergies in the family that you are worried about?

Ruby is 6 months this weekend, but I am still not sure she is ready. She is interested, but she is not sitting up on her own yet and I just don't know. Her high chair will be here on Monday, so maybe next weekend I will offer her something and see what she thinks. We'll do a combo of baby food and table food and see what she prefers. My kids hated purees, but if she loves them I will follow her lead. No food allergies in the fam so far.
JillMama likes this.
April 24th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Pageturner
I started Michael at 4 months, but only a little bit here and there. Now he eats 1/2 a jar, twice a day.
April 24th, 2013, 01:05 PM
marinewife01's Avatar Super Mommy
Avrey turned 6 months this past Friday, I gave him a half container of peas last night and the night before. He did ok. I'm just gonna do a half container for dinner until he's introduced to everything and I know he can tolerate it, not sure when I'll introduce oatmeal. We don't have any food allergies in the family that I'm aware of.

Kaela-11 Ben-6 Avrey-8 months

April 24th, 2013, 03:30 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Madalyn just turned 6 months. No food yet. I don't want to give up just breastfeeding her yet!

I do have celiac disease, so I will avoid gluten for Madalyn until she's older.

She can sit unassisted for a couple minutes, but she's still wobbly.

April 24th, 2013, 04:30 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Same as Jessica.

Emmy sits, but wobbly, and I'm not quite ready to not exclusively bf. I do think she is ready for foods! She is so interested and when I move something to her mouth like I'm goin to feed it to her, she opens up! really cute!
She turns 6 months on Thursday. I keep going back and forth wether I want to give her a little bit of something or if I want to wait until after her next appointment which is mid may. She will actually be almost 7 months old then!

We do have allergies; my cousin has EE, a severe case, so the pedi recommended holding off on any grains until she is closer to a year old. We will be doing fruits and veggies in the mean time.
KMH and LoverlyJules like this.

April 24th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
when you say table food what type of table food?

i started her at 4.75 months.... but we haven't been keeping up the feedings. I usually do it myself, though. I'm hoping to keep it regularly soon.

April 24th, 2013, 06:16 PM
zubeldia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Charlie is over 6 months old and can sit up but he's not terribly interested. He's gummed a bit of avocado and banana but I don't think more than a tiny, tiny bit was ingested. I think he'll be more ready in a few weeks. I love EBW

rafi and charlie by zubeldia36, on Flickr
April 24th, 2013, 07:04 PM
By table food I mean food I've prepared for my family from scratch that's low in sodium and healthy... spaghetti, meatloaf, whatever we are eating. I'll probably start offering that in a month or two.
April 24th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
interesting. I didnt know you could feed them yet, since they dont have teeth.... lol

April 24th, 2013, 07:13 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Zukin, it is amazing what they can mash with their gums You can also do the mashing yourself with something like this...just take whatever the family is having and make it baby-friendly:

Amazon.com: OXO Tot Baby Food Masher, Green: Baby
zubeldia and LoverlyJules like this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

April 24th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We haven't officially introduced solids, but she's swiped a few things (brussels sprouts, kale, sweet potatoes, macaroni noodles, banana, avocado) and gotten a few tastes. I don't plan to actually *feed* solids to her until her pincer grasp is good and preferably not until she is around 12 months.
zubeldia and LoverlyJules like this.
April 24th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We started last week. I'd given Sean a breast milk popsicle and he did very well with it. He didn't have any tongue thrust and only some dribbled onto his chin and the bib. The rest went in his mouth. He's also able to sit up unassisted. Since he was showing those signs of readiness and he has been showing interest, we let him get started but he doesn't get them every day and he doesn't eat enough to cut out a nursing session yet either.

He's had sweet potatoes, avocados, and bananas. There are no food allergies that we know of in either of our families.
zubeldia likes this.

April 26th, 2013, 12:42 PM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
I've been trying for the past 2 days (he is 6 months in 2 days) and he doesnt want anything to do with solids... So I'm gonna wait another week or two and try again.

As for allergies, yes, but it's stuff we don't consume in the house anyway (dairy, fish)... We're vegan, so no dairy, eggs, fish, meat or any animal by-products (that includes honey and gelatin and rennet...etc) so we're used to feeding on a stricter "diet". No issues there for when Eli decides he wants food. We will do fruits and veggies in a jar for a few weeks and try BLW at the same time. I dont want to do it 100% so we will try to do a bit of both.

April 26th, 2013, 12:58 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think another month before we start with solids.

He's sucked on a piece of cantaloupe and gnawed a very small piece of banana, but that's it. I just let him experiment with the flavors, but he didn't really "eat" either of them.

He's the youngest baby here, so we still have a while. I'm doing baby led weaning for the most part so when he can sit up better i'll start giving him little chunks of things.

April 26th, 2013, 04:50 PM
1InSummerland's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltMommy View Post
I think another month before we start with solids.

He's sucked on a piece of cantaloupe and gnawed a very small piece of banana, but that's it. I just let him experiment with the flavors, but he didn't really "eat" either of them.

He's the youngest baby here, so we still have a while. I'm doing baby led weaning for the most part so when he can sit up better i'll start giving him little chunks of things.
That's pretty much where we are, too. Jude has experimented with several things but isn't really eating solids yet - aside from one teething cookie that I gave him to play with which he devoured . I'm in no hurry about starting him on solids regularly.

Actually, I'm about to post in the FB group about some crap I had to listen to today about how Jude is going to starve and be anemic if I don't give him baby meats. This was from a nutritionist. Um... no, lady. He's still BFing. He's not going to starve. And flesh is not the only source of iron or protein. /miniventover
AltMommy likes this.

Thank you, Bokkechick, for my beautiful siggy.
Group Leader for Face2 Face Fort Lee and Richmond Area.
Check out my blog! :-) and my blog for Jude.

April 26th, 2013, 06:06 PM
zubeldia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're vegan and so far neither of our big boys have withered away
1InSummerland and jlstebbins like this.

rafi and charlie by zubeldia36, on Flickr
April 27th, 2013, 07:18 AM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nora's been getting cereal the past few days... Not so interested in rice but seems to like oatmeal. We'll start a veggie today...carrots I think because I have some in the fridge. Not making a big deal out of it, I'll introduce new things every week but I won't push anything.

I'm a vegetarian, people ask all the time if I plan on "letting" her eat meat, like it would be depriving her if I chose to give her beans/lentils/tofu. The thought of "baby meats" from a jar makes me want to vomit, blech.

Truthfully Im not opposed to her trying meat as she grows and we give her more table food, but Im not going to change the way I cook (which is 99% meat free).
1InSummerland likes this.

Last edited by SLP83; April 27th, 2013 at 07:20 AM.
April 27th, 2013, 08:47 AM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll be raising Ares mostly vegan (i eat seafood, but avoid any other meats, animal byproducts, dairy,etc.) It's funny when people think it's depriving your child of something they "need" or "want".. Babies don't have an innate desire to eat meat.. That's all in our heads. It's all about what they grow up with and what they are used to. Plus I cook vegan food for my meat eating family and friends all the time and they can almost never tell a difference
1InSummerland likes this.

April 27th, 2013, 08:41 PM
We gave Ruby a few bites of sweet potato baby food tonight because we were eating and she was seeming really interested and we had a jar in the cabinet. She loved it, she opened her mouth and shoved the spoon in there. Today it was just for fun though...not sure when I will try again. Maybe in a few days.
April 28th, 2013, 06:16 AM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
FYI...carrots were an epic fail. Definitely gagged them back up :-/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search