Failed hearing test? Anyone ever deal with this?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By yashobo
  • 1 Post By babymama10
  • 1 Post By SLP83

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2013, 11:44 PM
marinewife01's Avatar Super Mommy
When Avrey was born he failed his hearing test and they said he has a lot of amniotic fluid in his ears. He had another one at like 2-4 weeks old and failed again so they did a more extensive one with electrodes on his head reading his brain waves. They said he passed that one and assured me everything was ok. They said I could take him back at about 6 months so of course I did. Took him Wednesday and the same one he failed as a newborn, he got a reading ths time but they said it was low. She did a test on the middle ear and the left came back low and the right failed. She looked in his right ear and he had wax built up in there and couldn't see the eardrum. She said sometimes when they fail its due to fluid in the ear. Went back to the dr today and they flushed the wax out so he can repeat the hearing test. At this point they don't know if he has hearing loss or if its fluid in the ears which he says he sees little fluid in both ears. Depending on how test comes back, the dr is gonna refer him to ENT to see if its hearing loss or fluid and if he will need tubes. I was wondering if anyone else dealt with anything like this. Never went through this with my older two.

Kaela-11 Ben-6 Avrey-8 months

April 27th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Mollyjayne's Avatar Super Mommy
I never had that happen, but my daughter did have tubes when she was one and when I was little I had tubes. It sounds to me like he's going to need tubes. If it was hearing loss the Dr would be far more concerned I think.

keep is posted
April 27th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I do have experience here. My oldest son had repeat ear infections which started when he was an infant. Because of the fluid his hearing was not 100%. He did get tubes 2 different times. I recommend you do the surgery as soon as the doctors say its time. My sons speech never developed correctly because he could not hear during the most critical time. His speech was so delayed that he did not say his first word until he was about two..and the word was not even an understandable word. It was more of a sound. One thing his ENT told me was to never let him lay down with a bottle because fluid can build up in the ear drum and also to have his head elevated when he slept because it keeps the pressure off the eardrums. His speech is still not 100% even with 7 years of speech therapy.

April 27th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the advice ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerdays12 View Post
I do have experience here. My oldest son had repeat ear infections which started when he was an infant. Because of the fluid his hearing was not 100%. He did get tubes 2 different times. I recommend you do the surgery as soon as the doctors say its time. My sons speech never developed correctly because he could not hear during the most critical time. His speech was so delayed that he did not say his first word until he was about two..and the word was not even an understandable word. It was more of a sound. One thing his ENT told me was to never let him lay down with a bottle because fluid can build up in the ear drum and also to have his head elevated when he slept because it keeps the pressure off the eardrums. His speech is still not 100% even with 7 years of speech therapy.
I'm guessing he is most likely gonna be referred to ENT after Wednesday. We know he can hear cause he reacts to notices, sounds and our voices. I looked up hearing milestones and he reached all milestones from birth to 3 months and 3 months to 6 months. I hate to have him have nothing wrong but ill be thankful if he just needs tubes!

April 27th, 2013, 02:08 PM
If they see fluid I am sure tubes will take care of it So glad all of this is being found now and not later. My son could hear also..he heard everything muffled, like if he were under water

April 27th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Yes very thankfully its being taken care of early on so he hopefully won't have any delays. The dr did tell me sounds are muffled when they have fluid in the ear too. Did you son fail all his gearing test till he got tubes?

April 27th, 2013, 08:37 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Poor little guy. I don't have experience with this, but I wish you the best. Please keep us posted!
April 27th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinewife01 View Post
Yes very thankfully its being taken care of early on so he hopefully won't have any delays. The dr did tell me sounds are muffled when they have fluid in the ear too. Did you son fail all his gearing test till he got tubes?
Yes, and the day after his first set he passed with flying colors

April 27th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoncreampie View Post
Poor little guy. I don't have experience with this, but I wish you the best. Please keep us posted!
Thank you, I will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerdays12 View Post
Yes, and the day after his first set he passed with flying colors
Ok, I'm just so nervous about how the test is gonna come out. I just talked to my neighbor a bit ago and she said her daughter who is 14 now failed all her hearing test as an infant and had fluid in her ears as well. Sounds like its pretty common and I had no idea.

April 28th, 2013, 05:50 AM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's fairly common for babies to fail those tests, and while in most cases it doesn't mean that there will be any long-term hearing issues, it's still important to follow up ASAP. It's already been mentioned, but at this age it's so important that these babies hear as much clear speech as possible because this is such a critical period for speech and language development.

In the meantime, while you are waiting for answers/treatment, just make sure you keep Avery close to you when you talk to him (inches from your face), speak clearly, and use short phrases. With more "purposeful" communication you can maximize his exposure to speech and language. You're probably doing it already anyway

Good luck, it sounds like you are doing everything right, I hope you get some answers soon!
April 28th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP83 View Post
It's fairly common for babies to fail those tests, and while in most cases it doesn't mean that there will be any long-term hearing issues, it's still important to follow up ASAP. It's already been mentioned, but at this age it's so important that these babies hear as much clear speech as possible because this is such a critical period for speech and language development.

In the meantime, while you are waiting for answers/treatment, just make sure you keep Avery close to you when you talk to him (inches from your face), speak clearly, and use short phrases. With more "purposeful" communication you can maximize his exposure to speech and language. You're probably doing it already anyway

Good luck, it sounds like you are doing everything right, I hope you get some answers soon!
Thank you for your advice

April 29th, 2013, 02:48 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to say BIG HUGS. Hope its just fluid and nothing more serious. Have no experience with it though.
marinewife01 likes this.

Sisters, friends forever
April 29th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashobo View Post
Just wanted to say BIG HUGS. Hope its just fluid and nothing more serious. Have no experience with it though.
Thank you

April 30th, 2013, 09:11 AM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
Poor guy!!
marinewife01 likes this.
May 1st, 2013, 04:47 PM
Thank the lord I was able to get him to sleep and quiet and he passed the basic hearing test. There will be a ENT at the Naval Hospital tomorrow so we will be seeing him because I still want a 2nd opinion

May 1st, 2013, 07:05 PM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great news!
marinewife01 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search