swimming

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2013, 10:03 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
How old were you when you learned how to swim? When will you teach your baby? Will you be doing swim lessons with him or her?
May 2nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I plan to sign Sean up for swimming lessons this summer. I had swimming lessons as a baby and I really want Sean to grow up comfortable in the water.

May 2nd, 2013, 12:01 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
I am no public school fan , but one thing most schools still do is teach fourth graders how to swim during the last month of school. I think that is a FANTASTIC idea. I wish more parents took teaching their children, or teachers teach children how to swim before a devastating accident happens.
We always had a deep swimming pool in our backyard. And as soon as we could we taught them how to swim and water safety. When our children had a friend over we always put them threw our version of swim test. We always stayed next to the pool when our children were in it or near it.
I learned when I was about 3 or 4 at a public pool while swimming for fun with my mothers friends daughter. I learned the ole "doggy paddle" First and floating on my back. Then I taught myself the other type of strokes.
May 2nd, 2013, 01:07 PM
GiaTortilla's Avatar FTM to a princess
I taught myself to swim lol. I don't remember how old I was but one day I just got in and started swimming with the kids in our apartment complex at the time. I will definitely teach Riah when she's at least two years. I'd like to teach her myself but if I couldn't, we'd invest in lessons yes.

Gia - young mommy to a beautiful princess and wife to one amazing man.
6.24.10/9.24.12./5.25.13 we're married!
May 2nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
Veteran
I was in the water from when I was a toddler, but didn't take official lessons until I was 9. My daughter is halfway through her infant swim class now - it's more of an introduction to water, going under, and getting splashed. I will keep her in lessons as long as they're age appropriate. We're in and around water all summer long and I want all of us to be as prepared as we can be.
May 2nd, 2013, 05:59 PM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
I don't know when I learned, so I must have been young. We did a swim class with Mia when she was a baby, and will use those techniques with William (and we used them with Elizabeth. Techniques such as floating on the back, holding onto the side of the pool and pulling themselves out-as well as dunking underwater so that their face is used to having water on it). We have a pool in our backyard, so water safety is a huge deal for us! The girls were both 3 when they learned how to swim.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

May 3rd, 2013, 04:40 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't start learning until I was an adult. All my brothers know how to learn very well but I didn't learn as a younger age because the society I grew up in was less tolerant of females in swimming wear. With dd1 we started her in swimming class at 18 month, she is still in swimming classes. She swims pretty well but they are crazy about swimming here so she goes to this very good swimming school that has 14 levels and she is just in level 5 so we have a way to go. Luyando also started swimming school a month ago and she is loving it

Sisters, friends forever
May 5th, 2013, 01:56 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I learned pretty young, maybe 4 or 5. I'll take Ares in the pool with me and get him comfortable with the water (well actually he already LOVES the water) I will teach him when he is ready

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search