Something I'm wrestling with...

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By doremi
  • 1 Post By LoverlyJules
  • 4 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By MommyofAngels1985

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2013, 10:28 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I posted this on FB too:

Okay, I've been wrestling with something, and I was curious if any of you have put thought into this before. I am a Christian, and believe that life starts the moment egg meets sperm. I'm not on any kind of birth control (we use condoms) right now because I realized when I got OFF of birth control before TTC Josiah just how much better I felt physically when I was not on it. DH and I made the decision to use condoms until he is ready to have the big V. Although, a part of me has toyed with the idea of using some kind of hormonal bc again since NOBODY likes condoms! Anyways, I've been reading more and more about how hormonal bc's work, and I'm realizing I may have a moral objection to using them...for me personally, not for society at large. The reason being that they work by stopping ovulation, BUT if by some chance ovulation occurred and an egg was fertilized (in my mind the start of life), they also can prevent implantation of a fertilized egg. Which is what bothers me. I don't want this to be some big nasty pro-life/pro-choice debate. I was just curious if any of the rest of you had mulled this over before. Here is an excerpt from one thing I read this evening: Different types of birth control target fertilization and implantation in different ways.

The copper IUD (ParaGard) causes an inflammatory reaction within the female organs and lessens the sperm’s ability to fertilize. However, should fertilization occur, the uterine wall is too irritated to maintain a pregnancy (implantation).
The hormonal IUD (Mirena) and other forms of hormonal contraception share the following same basic mechanisms of action:
Prevent ovulation. No egg means no fertilization.
Thicken the cervical mucus so sperm can’t easily pass into the uterus (thus preventing fertilization).
Thin the uterine lining. On the chance that ovulation and fertilization do occur, implantation becomes difficult or impossible.
babymama10 likes this.

May 10th, 2013, 03:43 AM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First of all, your new siggy is freakin' adorable!!

I've never really given this much thought. What comes to my mind (and please don't take this the wrong way) is "What you don't know, won't hurt you." I mean, there isn't really a way you would know that an egg had been fertilized and then not implanted. Guess it doesn't bother me personally, but if it is something that bothers you or anyone else, you shouldn't use it.

Just my 2 cents!
doremi likes this.

May 10th, 2013, 07:49 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Obviously this issue is something that we had to grapple with before pursuing IVF...it is a very personal decision and there's definitely not one right answer for everyone. That's all I really want to say about it on this board; I don't see a discussion on this topic ending well. I hope that you and DH can find something that you are both comfortable with!

But one thing we can DEFINITELY agree on is that condoms are horrible

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

May 10th, 2013, 02:11 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
I totally understand you. I am a christian and share the same beliefs. We don't use bc and thats not why we ended up with 10 children. We actually needed "help" and used clomid. These rugrats were planned Except baby #1 was a shock.
This is a personal decision and can only pray you find what you need. I will say I agree with you 100% on when life begins.
Melissa I agree with what you said and hope nobody posts anything rotten about our beliefs. LOL
If you there is something out there for bc that fits our beliefs and doesnt cause problems with our beliefs please let me as I have 2 married daughters that wrestle with this.
May 10th, 2013, 10:34 PM
MommyofAngels1985's Avatar Veteran
I had an appointment about 2 months after Melody was born to get the IUD. The nurse gave us the pamphlets about both kinds and on the drive home we decided we couldn't do it. We too saw the thing at the bottom of the list where it said it thins the lining of the uterus preventing a potential fertilized egg from attaching. So even though we want to wait to have a third child, (if we decide to down the road) we couldn't bare the thought of wondering if I ever got pregnant while on my birth control and it did it's own form of abortion without me knowing it. We are pro life all the way so that is the reason why we couldn't do it. So we are not using birth control, unless you call pulling out birth control, so if I get pregnant then it was meant to be . I guess I'm saying if you are uncomfortable with the idea of that form of birth control than you should try to find a different route
babymama10 likes this.

Last edited by MommyofAngels1985; May 10th, 2013 at 10:42 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search